• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

George Willis Pryce - Artist

Fru

Brummie babby
I’m trying to find out anything about the family of Artist George Willis-Pryce. I have a very old photograph of him but can’t find out anything about him other than his artwork and very general information. Wondered if he still has family in the Birmingham area.

A little about him on the Erdington thread...

There was a long letter from a G Willis Pryce to the editor of the Monmouthshire Beacon 21/4/1899 about a religious matter; debating the term Protestant. He gives his address on that as 8 Mary Street Monmouth.

There’s a small add 13/10/1972 in the Coventry Evening Telegraph from a collector looking to buy oil paintings by GWP.

Viv.

Last edited:
Looks like he lived at 1 George Road, Erdington for many years at least 1915 - 1930
Did he later move to 57 Eggington Road, Hall Green?.

hi fru....what wonderful photos thank you for sharing them with us...they must be quite rare...i wonder where they were taken...

lyn

I agree, just think it’s nice to see what the artist looked like. They were my uncles postcards who was a collector of Willis Pryce art and I think he bought them at an auction.

I agree, just think it’s nice to see what the artist looked like. They were my uncles postcards who was a collector of Willis Pryce art and I think he bought them at an auction.

well we are so pleased that your uncle had them and that you kept them fru....thanks again

lyn

A lovely piece of history, thanks for posting.

I notice the postcard has a postmark from Bewdley. If I remember one of his paintings was of Golden Valley in Bewdley.

Would the date on the mark suggest 1909?

A lovely piece of history, thanks for posting.

I notice the postcard has a postmark from Bewdley. If I remember one of his paintings was of Golden Valley in Bewdley.

Would the date on the mark suggest 1909?

Yes, I think it’s 11th sept 1909. Bewdley. Just would have liked to pass it on to a member of the family, but no way of knowing.

you never know fru a family member could be a member of this forum if not fingers crossed a member may join us here...

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: Fru
In 1904 he is listed as being at 171 Rookery Road - the address on the postcard to Mrs Willis Pryce
On 1911 census he is in Weston-Super-Mare

Back