• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aberdeen Street Winson Green

hi eddie glad you like the photo of your house...one for the family album...just noticed you had posted your email address on your first post...we dont advise doing this on open forum as it could lead to unwanted emails from idiots or your email address being hacked..so we advise any members wishing to give out private info to other members to do so via our private message system as only the recipient and the sender have access to these messages...i have edited your post to ask members to contact you this way and removed your email address

all the best and enjoy the forum

lyn

Eddie
This map c 1950 shows that no 3 was the third from the right.
View attachment 118627
Mike, could you tell me where you got this map from please? I want to get a similar larger map of the area including the Queens Head and overlay it onto a present day map so that I can work out from the pub, (which I believe is still there but not as a pub), where my house was in relation to what is there presently if that makes sense.

Eddie
The map is an ordnance survey map from the oldmaps website. To get the highly magnified views you have to pay a subscription. I think that the map below, on which I have marked the Queens Head in red, should suffice.

map c1950 showing aberdeen st.jpg

Eddie
The map is an ordnance survey map from the oldmaps website. To get the highly magnified views you have to pay a subscription. I think that the map below, on which I have marked the Queens Head in red, should suffice.

View attachment 118797
Eddie

View attachment 118797
Brilliant, Thanks again Mike.

hi eddie i have always set great store in old photos...they bring back memories for us and in many cases we remember things we had long forgotten....its not really that common to find photos of the back houses but in the case of aberdeen st i do have a few and providing the numbering on them is correct the gods are shining down on you because here is (hopefully she says) one showings numbers 1 to 4 back of 46 so your house is showing...the date on it is 27th june 1972..not sure which way the numbering is going but hopefully you can confirm the photo is good...totally agree with all you have said in your last post..been saying it for years now..

lyn

View attachment 118624
I was just looking at this photo of my old childhood home and am puzzled why there should be washing on our clothes line when no one lives there. The only thing I can think is that one of the houses in front still has occupants who are using the extra space maybe. We moved out at the end of 1971 and the picture is dated 1972. Definitely not ours.

the washing on the line also crossed my mind as well and i also came up with the same reason as you did...no point wasting the space:D

lyn

hI Susano9 i recall you and your family as my mate was johny dunkley and his family for donkey years along with billy wylman from peel stret and we invented the route 66 coffee bar and the down stairs celler we created for our use of the gang and played music down there

mike could you mark out 6/125 please for josies sister eileen so that it easier for her to see but could you post it so that it concentrates more on the layout of just the surrounding houses rather than the whole street as she seems to think they had a small garden

thanks mike

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn
There seems to be no house labelled 6/125 on the map, in fact no houses labelled back 15. Number 125 is marked in red, and there is a house almost directly behind it labelled 6/130. At the time of the map it seems to have shared a garden space with adjoining houses

map c 1955showing 125 Aberdeen st.jpg

Lyn, your pictures are bringing back so many memories that were lost in time, (or is that age in my case? Lol). You are Brilliant, Thank you so much!!!
Oh and I agree, I wouldn't swap my childhood either. Our parents were proud people who did what they had to, to get by. I loved working with the milkman as a young boy, giving my small wage to my Mom to help pay for whatever she needed. It may seem strange to some but I remember fondly the brown bit in the dripping when we spread it on the partially stale bread after having a Sunday lunch. Bread and dripping was a meal as was bread and jam and sometimes just bread and butter. Going to Jones's and getting things on the strap or in the book as we called it in those days, as you all well know.
I remember making go carts out of scrap wood and some old pram wheels and playing down on the canal and the old bomb peck. You've got me started now I might put it all down on paper, as you said pictures are all the memories we have now because they have destroyed the physical that we knew and loved and pictures and words are all that can keep it alive.
As children we had very little, but did we, I ask? Look at children today, a lot of them don't go out and play in the fresh air with other children, they don't make things out of what's just lying around as we did with go karts and if they meet other children, a lot of them have no social skills because they spend their time on electronics, staring at a screen talking to their virtual friends. I worry what the world is coming to and what we as humans are doing to our once Beautiful world. Everyone in the street used to know and help each other, now we're lucky if someone 6 doors away say's hello.

few more of aberdeen st the numbers will be on the photos
Hello, So glad I found this forum. My Dad was bought up in Aberdeen St. His name was Leonard Beech Green, sadly he died last year, but soon we will be planting a tree with his ashes at The Centre of the Earth in Norman St.
I'm attaching some old photos of my Nan (Annie Green) PICT0310.JPGPICT0128.JPGPICT0200.JPGPICT0203.JPGand me in the garden of Aberdeen St (1969), me and my brother inside no. 13 (1972) and two photos of the start of the demolition (1973?)

Hello, So glad I found this forum. My Dad was bought up in Aberdeen St. His name was Leonard Beech Green, sadly he died last year, but soon we will be planting a tree with his ashes at The Centre of the Earth in Norman St.
I'm attaching some old photos of my Nan (Annie Green) View attachment 149452View attachment 149453View attachment 149454View attachment 149455and me in the garden of Aberdeen St (1969), me and my brother inside no. 13 (1972) and two photos of the start of the demolition (1973?)
I had relatives in Norman St, years ago. I had a look in the 70s and found that most of the houses had gone. So what, and where is The Centre of the Earth ?

Back