• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10

is there anyway to stop win 10 keep loading updates.willie nillie even though i have set the time in setup

I don't believe in Windows 10 HOME you can stop updates, just limit when they are installed.

If you upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (as opposed to Home) you have more control over Windows updates.

See if this article helps (note when it mention Group Policy I believe that is only available in Pro not Home)

With Win 10 Home you can pause updates for at least 35 days and even longer with a few tweaks. If you use settings to say you have a 'metered' connection this slows updates. I rarely shut down my laptop, I just close the lid which puts it into 'hibernation' and the windows updates just sit on the right in the taskbar waiting for me to agree to install them. If you shut down the laptop, updates will install on start-up.

You can also uninstall an update.

If you have the Win 10 Pro version you can prevent updates for a year or more.

I had to uninstall an update in Sept 2019 (post#1042) it was overheating my laptop.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/windows-10.45268/post-656078

Last edited:
With Win 10 Home you can pause updates for at least 35 days and even longer with a few tweaks. If you use settings to say you have a 'metered' connection this slows updates. I rarely shut down my laptop, I just close the lid which puts it into 'hibernation' and the windows updates just sit on the right in the taskbar waiting for me to agree to install them. If you shut down the laptop, updates will install on start-up.

You can also uninstall an update.

If you have the Win 10 Pro version you can prevent updates for a year or more.

I had to uninstall an update in Sept 2019 (post#1042) it was overheating my laptop.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/windows-10.45268/post-656078
thanks for help

Rarely use my laptop so when I turn it on it always updates. The latest update that downloaded today has changed the look of the startup screen but I don’t have a clue what else has changed (win 10 pro). I only use the Laptop for updates of sat navs etc that the ipad is unable to do where a USB connection is required.

Anyone else noticed that Windows10 acting differently since recent update? Doesn't open directly from "Start screen" needs that you subsequently click "Edge logo"

My laptop and PC start normally with the taskbar and background screen. I only see the Start screen if I call for it. I have noticed that the tiles on my laptop 'Start' have gone transparent but that might be due to me messing about !

My Win 10 is on build 19041.508.

The only issue I get with updates is on my Android Tablet. It is riddled with Google which has, like Microsoft, the habit of making unwanted changes. It recently decided to replace my keyboards wth speech. It took a little while to rectify it. I only use my Tablet for reading some type of books. I rarely use it as a browser.

Anyone else noticed that Windows10 acting differently since recent update? Doesn't open directly from "Start screen" needs that you subsequently click "Edge logo"
Jim, did you select edge as your default browser? I did (by mistake) but it is working out very well!

Updated my laptop to Version 20H2 OS Build 19042.572. It took 40 minutes.
Apart from Start tiles now transparent I can't see much difference. Microsoft say the version has better security. Everything else runs normally.
edit addition
My desktop Acer only took 5 minutes ... I think Microsoft had pre-loaded the data over the past weeks and just had to initiate it.

Last edited:
My daughter and myself have found the same, a lot of our files have been have been moved and saved in the wrong ones.
The worst has been pictures I almost 3000 pictures in different files and this new windows has decided to move my subfolders to totally wrong ones.

I have about 8000 images plus other data in various folders on my laptop and they have never been moved during major version updates. I suppose we all have our computers set up differently.

I have about 8000 images plus other data in various folders on my laptop and they have never been moved during major version updates. I suppose we all have our computers set up differently.
OldMohawk, I did not move or loose anything either when I updated. In fact I don’t recall loosing or moving with any update.

Apart from Start tiles now transparent I can't see much difference. Microsoft say the version has better security. Everything else runs normally.
edit addition
My desktop Acer only took 5 minutes ... I think Microsoft had pre-loaded the data over the past weeks and just had to initiate it.
My Lenovo notebook took a little over 6 minutes to update.

edit addition

This explains all!

Back