• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs Of The Past

44~1.jpeg

This is R.J.Bradshaws Dining rooms in Dudley Street 1895. At one time the establishment boasted the best 6d dinner in town but in 1895 I would think 6d would have been expesive for a dinner. The beer served was made by Holders and was made at a brewery in Nova Scotia Street not far from Digbeth.

11~7.jpeg

This lovely old picture is The Bell in 1965. It was located on the corner of Bell Barn Road and Bristol Street, it should not be confused with The Bell Barn Tavern which just was a few minutes walk away.
I remember going in to office to get crisp an pop the bakery was on the other side of road and the old fashioned sweet shop further up

I had a look on streetview and can see the left hand image appears to be today's pub. I suppose it is better than the monstrosity in the right hand image. However in the middle image - just look at that archway, almost good enough for a palace. I look at the chimneys and wonder if there were nice open fires in the winter.

kkj~0.jpeg

The Bull's Head Coventry Road, on the right just after the Swan Yardley as you travel towards the city. I am not sure of the date but the pub was open 1890s, the one and only time I have been in the place was a farewell evening for a friend on the eve of his departure from England for a new life in New Zealand. He was one of Eddie Fewtrells doormen and the place was full of doorstaff from the Brumbeat era.

When the Bull was demolished it moved across the Coventry Rd into old police station....hence new name of Old Bill & Bull.............

When the Bull was demolished it moved across the Coventry Rd into old police station....hence new name of Old Bill & Bull.............

There is a thread about it here....

Picture
birmingham_b25_bullshead2.jpg

What happened to these unique tiled scenes of Birmingham ? Were they and other artifacts from the Woodman saved when it was demolished ? If they were, what happened to them ?
Hi..
it is a travesty what happens to all the artefacts what was in these old pubs..grade listing wasn't around then to save things like leaded Windows , etc. ...
How ever I managed to acquire 2 wall lamps from the Duncan Edwards pub in Dudley back in the 80s. .... Brass and lallic glass lamps are now in my lounge at home very nice too !

it is a travesty what happens to all the artefacts what was in these old pubs..grade listing wasn't around then to save things like leaded Windows , etc ....

Unlike the building itself, very few interiors are protected so the fixtures and fittings are often at risk - and goes to man caves via e-bay!

ive seen this listed as the dolphin..grandad drank here being a pool farm road resident..warwick road wasnt the width we think back 1900..the right turn after is not there yet
Hi Villain all my family are from there, i am looking for help of someone who lived there i don't suppose you could help me?

I see where Dale End was once in an older map.
Anybody any idea about "Dale End Old Engine, 1865, published by Thomas Underwood."
Which old engine is that and why is it there?
CheersDale End Old Engine 1865 Publisher Thomas Underwood Castle St High St Birmingham.jpg

hhh.jpeg

Again I have no information with this but I have been told it could have been near to Hill Street, perhaps mikejee can be a bit more precise.
i went in to this place in about 1968... the served plonk..... very cheap cider...poison....lol

In the past two days I have discovered my great grandfather was landlord of the Old Sun Inn, Coleshill Street, Sutton Coldfield, before moving the The British Oak pub in Highgate. His father, my great great grandfather was landlord of the Duke Inn, Duke Street, Sutton Coldfield, which has remained much as it was in his time.
I did a history of all the people who lived at the Duke Inn, Duke Street Sutton Coldfield if you are interested

I did a history of all the people who lived at the Duke Inn, Duke Street Sutton Coldfield if you are interested

What was his name? I have a history of the Duke Inn on my site at :
Unlike the rest of my site, this was the work of somebody else - Yvonne Moore.
I did a lot of the British Oak but, again, you have not furnished us with a name.

What was his name? I have a history of the Duke Inn on my site at :
Unlike the rest of my site, this was the work of somebody else - Yvonne Moore.
I did a lot of the British Oak but, again, you have not furnished us with a name.
Brumbirder is me Yvonne Moore!

Raz after living in Gt Barr for twenty one years , The Boars Head was a pub I never went into at all . I've been past it umpteen times to collect my daughter from a dance school nearby When she was younger .

Hi all we had our wedding reception there in 1974, £1.50 a head it was good , no honeymoon couldn't afford it afterwards back to our flat to start our married life together X
FAZ I remember riding by the pub and looking at the pole with the Boars head on it. Then finally was old enough to go inside for a pint! Only went a few times times but loved that poke!

Back