• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Whites Removals

LaytonLily

knowlegable brummie
I am new to this site and am not sure how to post a query or question - so please re-direct me if this is not it !

I wonder if anyone has photographs of the following :

Whites Removals in Oliver Street, Birmingham - their vans or premises - 1935 - 1945 time.......

I am putting together a book of my parents life, or rather re-creating one I did for their 50th wedding anniversary. My father worked at White removals.....around the times indicated.

Thank you for any help - if no photographs perhaps point me to books which might help ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lilly

There are photos of both on the forum, try putting the name in the search box, if the name of the company doesn't bring a result try putting the name of the road the company is situated on.

Attachments

• Nechells Whites Removals Great Lister St (2).jpg
    Nechells Whites Removals Great Lister St (2).jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 91
I remember Whites ,Oliver Street very well, just round the corner from Cromwell Street, no photos though, used to walk past nearly every day.

Whites are still going , based at Abergele and vans in same livery...

Whites Removals of Abergele

Address: 2 Min Y Morfa
Towyn
Abergele
Clwyd
LL22 9LY

Whites are still going , based at Abergele and vans in same livery...

Whites Removals of Abergele

Address: 2 Min Y Morfa
Towyn
Abergele
Clwyd
LL22 9LY

Sorry only just found this but they are not the same Whites as the company was started by my Great Grandfather and is still in business in Birmingham.

Tim Kitchen

thanks for the link about your family business tim...very interesting to read from the humble beginnings to where whites are now....continued success

lyn

Sorry only just found this but they are not the same Whites as the company was started by my Great Grandfather and is still in business in Birmingham.

Tim Kitchen

Tim Kitchen

I have stories from my father about working for Whites Removals in WW2 if you would be interested.

I'd love to hear them although it was a little before my time. The boss then would have been Edmund John White, my Grandfather but always know as 'Jack'

There isn't very much actually but I have copied what there is about his time working for Whites Removals. I remember he would bring home wonderful presents, one time a beautiful doll's house, with all the miniature furniture and dolls etc. - toys that people who were much more 'well off' then us, would be throwing out when they moved house !

Attachments

• From the Story of Joseph William Hunt 1906.pdf
    72.2 KB · Views: 17
Thanks Alan. Yes shall create a thread and move posts. Viv.

Edit - this Whites Removals thread now created.

Last edited:
One of their tasks:-

A Google map shows their newer livery of predominantly white with green lettering. It also shows the filling station as gone but a garage operating there.

Last edited:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Golden-Yea...15&sr=1-1&keywords=golden+years+of+Birmingham

The above book on sale at Amazon has a four page article on White's from the early days up the publishing of the book. Looking at the advert they have used copy's for as little as 1p plus postage. I would also imagine you would find a copy on the shelves of your local library if it's still open.

The Golden years of Birmingham (1999) is now available free to read on the Internet Archive.

I am sure there was a small office in Saltley or Alum Rock somewhere that was run by Whites. I remember going with my mom going to book our move to Ward End. Whites were one of few removal companies around at that time. Could have been Ellesmere Road, but I'm not sure.

Pedrocut, Where do we find this internet archive?

If you search for Internet Archive you will reach the site. Enter Golden Years of Birmingham into the
lower search box. You will then be able to click on the book and have a limited search within the
book.
However if you sign up you can keep borrowing the book for an hour. You have an enormous amount of
great old books. I signed up years ago and never had any problem.

But publishers are attempting (in the US) to make this illegal for books still in copyright. There is a case ongoing at present. As IA is based in the US this would affect their items. If this case by the publishers was successful, then I wonder if they might try the same in the UK, which might affect (?) public library online lending here

Back