• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lordswood Boys' Technical School

I attended 1985-1992. Went back for the 60th anniversary, and march this year for final tour before it was pulled down this week. What was the name of the science lab that has steps that you had to climb up to sit on benches?

I was there '59-'64 ... so that sounds like what 26 years earlier was the Lecture Theatre ... opposite side of the corridor to the Bio, Phys and Chem labs, same side as the central staircase and right by it ... sound about right?

I was one of the originals 1957 - 1963. (I did an extra year as my O levels were poor). I did recover though and ended up doing an economics degree at Cardiff University and a Masters at Bath. Of course I remember Titch Horton and Keith Harrison but I don't see any other contemporaries in these posts. I did meet up with Mel (Nobby) Sutton when he was playing for Cardiff City and I am still in touch with Bernard Smith and Roger Harding. Apart from that Lordswood is a distant memory. I think Mr. Harkness was a thoroughly decent man and I visited him at home when a student at Cardiff. I have to say that Hepton was a good chap too (maybe misunderstood) and also Mr Hicking who made sense of physics for me and others like John Etheridge. Looking back, I think we were fortunate to have some good teachers, even though some were harsh - Lee (RE) seemed to like wacking me with a plimsoll (I was only talking!). Gil Jones was a great PE teacher (is he still around?) I was saddened to hear on another post that Malcolm Foley and Tony Collett were no longer with us - I got on well with both of them. Also, I was in touch with John Flowers (from the Friends Reunited web site - pity it ended). I do have lots of other memories of the school but I will save those for another day. Good to be in touch with you guys.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of photos that I've managed to find that might generate a good laugh. How about those quiffs? I'm the guy holding the basketball. I can recognise Geoff Brown, John Flowers (with whom I'm still in touch), Brian Rogers and ?Phelps on the basketball team and also Kalsi, Dave Cherry, Geoff Timms and Richi Pannell on the form photo with the woodwork master, Caldicott. Can anyone name any of the others?

Hi Denis. I remember your key incident very well and often wondered how you did it. I also remember being surprised you not being in the sixth form, you having come from an teaching family but I knew you would do well. The MME was an experience and curiously one that my wife, who went to a school in Solihull, also had to endure although she was somewhat more successful. I read somewhere that you eventually moved to the coast.
Thanks for your reply. I now live in the village of LLangynidr, which is in the Brecon Beacons National Park.

Here are a couple of photos that I've managed to find that might generate a good laugh. How about those quiffs? I'm the guy holding the basketball. I can recognise Geoff Brown, John Flowers (with whom I'm still in touch), Brian Rogers and ?Phelps on the basketball team and also Kalsi, Dave Cherry, Geoff Timms and Richi Pannell on the form photo with the woodwork master, Caldicott. Can anyone name any of the others?
[Harri57 post676537, member114526]
Hi new member Peter Hession I am 3rd from left 2nd row up.On my left is Pat Colman,Phil Neath and BT Rogers with ?Phelps at the end of the row next to Caldicott.
Top row next to Geoff Brown is Malcolm Foley with Geoff Tims in the centre.
Last but one is ?Edmonds.
Next row down is Keith in the centre with Tony Collett to his left and then George Harwood.
Front row starting from the left Graham Smith,Richi Pannell,Kalsi,Tony Kyte,?in the centre,Dave Cherry,?McCarthy.
Struggling to put names to other familiar faces.
I was pally with Malcolm Foley and Tony Collett at school and we remained friends for life.
Sadly neither are with us any more.
Played rugby for the school at scrum half.
BT Rogers was fly half with Phelps at full back.He was an exceptional athlete.
George Harwood was also in the team on the wing.
George was a good mate to have-his parents managed the Green Man in Harborne at the time!
I have a photo of the team somewhere.
Will try and find and post.

Excellent, thanks Keith. I'm directly in front of you in the form photo. Faces are vaguely familiar some more so than others but not many names that I'm sure of. Paul Latcham is extreme right 2nd row down. Geoff Brown, Rich Pannell, Sudarshan Kalsi, Geoff Timms,? Phelps and yourself I recognise. I could guess at a few more but I'll wait for others to say first, such as Coleman, Archer, Alan Betts, John Horton, Harris.
Meeting over a pint and finding out just how much we (I) can remember sounds a good idea.
Phil

Keith,
Your basketball photo: I remember a few more.
Front row: Charlie Phelps, Malcolm Gibbins, Tony Kyte, Yourself, BT Rogers, John Flowers.
Back row: Norman Garwood, Geoff Brown, Malcolm Foley, ANOther, Roy Coles (Molar).
Keep well. Mike Murphy (Spud)

Keith,
Your basketball photo: I remember a few more.
Front row: Charlie Phelps, Malcolm Gibbins, Tony Kyte, Yourself, BT Rogers, John Flowers.
Back row: Norman Garwood, Geoff Brown, Malcolm Foley, ANOther, Roy Coles (Molar).
Keep well. Mike Murphy (Spud)
Couple of photos attached.
School rugby team 60/61.
Form 2D 58/59
The rugby team merged with the year above in 61/62 which included the likes of Mike Fenton at fly half and Ray Parry at centre.I played scrum half and of course Phelps was full back.
We had some really tough games against the likes of Moseley grammar and George Dixon who were fielding mainly 18 year olds.
Our school being relatively new hadn't reached the seniority of pupil.
Some faces I can't recognise.

Attachments

• IMG_0147.JPG
    IMG_0147.JPG
    734.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0151.JPG
    IMG_0151.JPG
    578.1 KB · Views: 90
Hi Michael
Thanks for posting the photos. I am not on the rugby shot but I do recognise one or two of the players. I managed to get into the team in 61/62 with John Flowers, we played at open side and blind side wing forward positions. You are right ,we had a great side , I don't remember losing a game apart from, I think, Moseley grammar. Gil Jones was the PE master,very keen on his rugby,he pushed us hard in all the sports but I liked him, he was very fair and encouraged us in every thing we did.
I don't remember the names of most of the guys on the photos but as soon as somebody puts a name to a face I say "Yeh I remember now". I still keep in touch with John Flowers, he lives in Cornwall now. I remember Brian Rogers well ,he lived in Northfield at the time and we used to travel on the bus together to and from school.
Let's hope some more of our contemporaries join the forum and we might be able to put a few more names to faces.
Take care Keith Harrison

Hi Keith
I (Peter Hession) posted the rugby photo and form 2D photo.
I managed to find a photo of the 61/62 team.
You don't appear on it but I definitely remember both you and John Flowers playing.
You are right the only game we lost was against Moseley.
They gave us a bit of a lesson in three quarter play.
Most of them were 18 year olds.
I recognise some of the people in the photo.
Front row l to r Tony Kyte,Davis,Colsoun,BT Rogers,Mike Fenton,George Harwood,me,?,?
Back row l to r Richie Norman,Coles,Hall,Malcolm Beard,?,?,?,Ray Parry.
The toughest game I played in was against Old Swinford the previous year.
Being a boarding school the pitch was surrounded by the rest of the school.
They abused us throughout the game.
On the field the tactics were no better.
Hits after the ball had gone,sly punches etc.
We won and Charlie Phelps was magnificent that day.
Gil Jones had a real rant at the OS staff.
I wonder if anyone remembers a teacher called Ron Kindon.
With Gil Jones blessing he was allowed to set up a football team outside of school.
We played in a Sunday league to avoid clashing with Rugby
Paul Byrne and Mel Sutton played but I can't remember any other names.
I played in a couple of teams with Mel (Nobby) before he went on to greater things with Villa and Cardiff.
Remember him winning the main school cross country race every year.
Best wishes and good health to all!

Attachments

• IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    722.3 KB · Views: 48
Hi Michael
Thanks for posting the photos. I am not on the rugby shot but I do recognise one or two of the players. I managed to get into the team in 61/62 with John Flowers, we played at open side and blind side wing forward positions. You are right ,we had a great side , I don't remember losing a game apart from, I think, Moseley grammar. Gil Jones was the PE master,very keen on his rugby,he pushed us hard in all the sports but I liked him, he was very fair and encouraged us in every thing we did.
I don't remember the names of most of the guys on the photos but as soon as somebody puts a name to a face I say "Yeh I remember now". I still keep in touch with John Flowers, he lives in Cornwall now. I remember Brian Rogers well ,he lived in Northfield at the time and we used to travel on the bus together to and from school.
Let's hope some more of our contemporaries join the forum and we might be able to put a few more names to faces.
Take care Keith Harrison
Hi Keith,
Actually I didn't post the photos. but I do have some others in the attic. I will fish them out this weekend. I left Brum in 1966 which is probably why I have lost touch with so many school friends. Living in the USA for 7 years in the 1980s probably didn't help! Although I did play for the U15 Rugby team I was disappointed not to be included in the photo. It must have been taken after Gil Jones dropped me for dropping the ball. Nobody's perfect. I remember dropping concentrated sulphuric acid on some potassium permanganate in the fume cupboard in Froggy's lab and as a result the whole of the top floor had to be evacuated because of the obnoxious fumes.
Mr Harkness was not amused!
Take care of yourself.
Michael

Hi Keith
I (Peter Hession) posted the rugby photo and form 2D photo.
I managed to find a photo of the 61/62 team.
You don't appear on it but I definitely remember both you and John Flowers playing.
You are right the only game we lost was against Moseley.
They gave us a bit of a lesson in three quarter play.
Most of them were 18 year olds.
I recognise some of the people in the photo.
Front row l to r Tony Kyte,Davis,Colsoun,BT Rogers,Mike Fenton,George Harwood,me,?,?
Back row l to r Richie Norman,Coles,Hall,Malcolm Beard,?,?,?,Ray Parry.
The toughest game I played in was against Old Swinford the previous year.
Being a boarding school the pitch was surrounded by the rest of the school.
They abused us throughout the game.
On the field the tactics were no better.
Hits after the ball had gone,sly punches etc.
We won and Charlie Phelps was magnificent that day.
Gil Jones had a real rant at the OS staff.
I wonder if anyone remembers a teacher called Ron Kindon.
With Gil Jones blessing he was allowed to set up a football team outside of school.
We played in a Sunday league to avoid clashing with Rugby
Paul Byrne and Mel Sutton played but I can't remember any other names.
I played in a couple of teams with Mel (Nobby) before he went on to greater things with Villa and Cardiff.
Remember him winning the main school cross country race every year.
Best wishes and good health to all!
Hi Peter - I must correct you on one point - Mel Sutton did not win the school cross country race every year.
I know that because one year I won it ! We had to do a final three laps of the field before returning to the school grounds. Nobby miscounted and went round for a fourth time - I got it right and instead of finishing second, finished first. Lucky me! Mel was easily the best cross country runner we had at the school, without doubt. When I met up with Mel when he was playing for Cardiff City, we had a laugh about that in the club bar over a pint. Good to be in touch (Pete!).
Take care of yourself.
Good wishes, Mike Murphy (Spud)

Last edited:
Hi Peter. Thanks for posting the 61/62 shot of the rugby team. I was disappointed not to see either John Flowers or myself on the photo but I think I know the reason why. Although as I previously mentioned I did like Gil Jones I think John and I fell out with him over being available on Saturdays . John and I had Saturday jobs (in fact we worked together at a butcher's shop in Northfield) which clashed with Saturday matches, I played some games as I certainly remember the Moseley match.
On the subject of cross country, Mike, I always found it to be a bit of a killer, particularly the BOG between the two schools. After a couple of laps of the field the return through the BOG was the last straw. At least the shower facilities were good when we got back.
Take care everyone . Don't do a Trump!!!
Keith

Hi Keith
I remember the BOG very well!
Also I think part of the run was along Knightlow Rd.
I have posted some photos from our first year at the school form 1D
How they managed to get every single pupil smiling was remarkable.
The other couple of photos are from the first stage production put on at the school in the first year.
Geoff Brown on the left,Jimmy Livingstone and me in black.
It was my one only acting stint ever.
Jimmy Livingstone was a character.
I went to his house a couple of times.
His parents were very broad Scots and his father insisted that only Scots Gaelic should be spoken in the house by the family.
I hadn't got a clue what was going on.

Take care all

Attachments

• IMG_0158.JPG
    IMG_0158.JPG
    660 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0160.JPG
    IMG_0160.JPG
    604.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0161.JPG
    IMG_0161.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
Hi Keith, Peter, et al,
Here's the 1961- 62 athletics team. Keith (you know yourself). I'm 3rd. row from top 5th. along between Parry and Phelps.
What a bunch of rockers we were!
Take care all,
Mike (Murphy)Scan2020-10-10_144644.jpg

Hi Mike, that's an interesting photo. A lot of the faces look familiar but I can't put names to many of them. The only additional one I can name is Dave cherry who is front row, 2nd from right. He lived near me in Northfield. My bet is that none of us have the amount of hair we had then - I've certainly nothing left with which to make a quiff. My forte was the javelin, I thought I was quite good (encouraged by Gil Jones) until I came up against a guy from King Edward's grammar school at an inter-school match at B'ham University playing fields in Edgebaston. He was throwing a good 10 yards longer than me in his WARM UP throws !! I went home somewhat miffed.
Anyway, thanks for reviving a few memories.
Take care. Keith

Hi Mike, that's an interesting photo. A lot of the faces look familiar but I can't put names to many of them. The only additional one I can name is Dave cherry who is front row, 2nd from right. He lived near me in Northfield. My bet is that none of us have the amount of hair we had then - I've certainly nothing left with which to make a quiff. My forte was the javelin, I thought I was quite good (encouraged by Gil Jones) until I came up against a guy from King Edward's grammar school at an inter-school match at B'ham University playing fields in Edgebaston. He was throwing a good 10 yards longer than me in his WARM UP throws !! I went home somewhat miffed.
Anyway, thanks for reviving a few memories.
Take care. Keith

Hi Keith/Mike
Recognise some faces on the photo.
Behind Keith is Malcolm Foley.
Back row 4th from lift is Malcolm Beard?
On Keith’s left is Dick Butler.
I can remember his dad had a really smart car -a Rover.
Sometimes when I was waiting at the bus stop in Handsworth they would stop and I’d get a free ride to school .
I think he lived Great Barr/ Erdington way.
The outer reaches of the catchment area for the school.
5th from left on the same row is ? Proctor from the year above us.
Extreme left on the 2nd row is Roger Davis?
The team is a mixture of different years so it’s hard to remember names.

Best wishes

Pete(Hession)

Hi,
Covid -19 and time on my hands….I was thinking of tracing my ancestors whereabouts in Birmingham and came across this site.
I was in the first intake into Lordswood, I think I went through 1B, 2B, 3B, 4B & 5S. I do remember the form roll call on the first day started Adams, Apps, Blundell, Brown….me being the Blundell with Geoff Brown sitting behind me. Our form master was a red haired Welshman (I think) and on the first day he was looking for volunteers, and went round the form saying you’ll do so and so, then picked on me saying “right Percy, you can do this”, hence for a long time I was called Percy, sometimes Sparcy, although my name was Chris.
I was always (or felt I was) in trouble at school, I knocked about with Graham Whitmore, Martin Stenzel, John Shakespeare, Malcolm Acklin, Norman Garwood, Melvyn (nobby)Sutton, Mike Mitchell, Kit Round, Mike Murphy, Casewell, Colson, Dave Fisher,Pete Johnson (Haybag) , Phelps, et al.
Nobby used to come and stay some weekends at our house and ……Tony Collette (may have name incorrecect) came on holidays with my family to Abersoch in Wales...I have a photo somewhere.

My father passed away whilst I was in the 5th form and I went off the rails a bit and played truant for most of the year, subsequently left, went (pushed by my mother and family friends) to Naval College in Cardiff, and served an apprenticeship in the Merchant Navy, getting my Foreign going Masters ticket at Southampton University and sailed around the world, but mostly West Africa. I left after 8 years, and worked for a large Flooring Contractor, after 6 months I left and started on my own, at the same time Malcolm Acklin (Mac) had just got demobbed from the Army and we hooked up and worked together for well over 10 years and had 30 + staff, until he decided England wasn’t for him anymore (that’s another story!!!) and he emigrated to Oz and we sold out….I met him a few times in UK after that and I went to see him in Oz about 8 years ago and stayed with him for a couple of weeks….sadly he passed away about 4 years ago.
After selling out, I bought a Pub in Worcestershire, Gil Jones used to come for lunch at least once a fortnight with his wife, Mary and we would also go out for meals with them, I think he was Headmaster then, strange how things work out!!!
I did meet up at the Pub when Mac came back for a visit in the early 90s with Mitch Mitchell, Kit Round and Richard(?) Harding and we had a good time reminiscing, I think Rich Harding was in the building trade, Kit Round was in high end Medical Supplies, Mitch was working for the Council.

I bumped into Geoff Brown 3 or 4 times on flights to the States, he was the subject of an interview on Birmingham TV about a year or so ago and during that he said that he now lives in Mexico.(I see his first wife occasionally) I would occasionally see Norman Garwood, who went in TV/Films, doing production design, he ended up living in the States, and got an nominated 3 times for an Oscar and once for an Emmy, and won a BAFTA….he passed away last year.(he was on the roll call of deceased dignitaries)

I remember all the staff and a lot of contemporaries names not mentioned in these threads, but putting the names to faces is another matter, I played rugby for the school, but cannot see myself on any photograph, I threw the javelin (I have a winners badge!), discus and shot in county championships…afraid I have only one pic of the swimming team and nothing else.

I do remember going on a YHA trip with Hepton and I think Mercati to walk over Helvellin and Scafell Pike and remember we all bathed in ice cold water on the top of the mountain…..never quite sure about Hepton??. I also remember a school trip to Neustatt ( I think) in Bavaria to improve our German with Barry Long and Ian Lewis…or was it someone else?

I think that’s enough from me now, I’ll await some comments………….

Hello everyone, I joined forum today.
I was at Lordswood Boys from 1977 to 1984. I was in Telford House
I dont remember the Headmasters name..but I seem to remember his hand was missing. Mr Lee and Mr.Jones were deputies.
Other teachers I remember were Mr Humphries Woodwork), Mr.Hart (Woodwork), Mr Betts (Metalwork), Froggy Hepton, (Chem), Jones & Folely PE, Mr White (TD), Merv Minovi, Vibrating Vigart, Herr Long, Miss Tracey (English), Mr Scanlon and and Indian teacher ..both Maths...maybe the other names will come.to me,
Pupils names I remember,
Jon Coral, Adrian Lang, Mark Collet, David Miller, Adrian riley, Simon Tucas, , Steven Woods, Lee Roden....again maybe the names will come to me.

Hi,
Covid -19 and time on my hands….I was thinking of tracing my ancestors whereabouts in Birmingham and came across this site.
I was in the first intake into Lordswood, I think I went through 1B, 2B, 3B, 4B & 5S. I do remember the form roll call on the first day started Adams, Apps, Blundell, Brown….me being the Blundell with Geoff Brown sitting behind me. Our form master was a red haired Welshman (I think) and on the first day he was looking for volunteers, and went round the form saying you’ll do so and so, then picked on me saying “right Percy, you can do this”, hence for a long time I was called Percy, sometimes Sparcy, although my name was Chris.
I was always (or felt I was) in trouble at school, I knocked about with Graham Whitmore, Martin Stenzel, John Shakespeare, Malcolm Acklin, Norman Garwood, Melvyn (nobby)Sutton, Mike Mitchell, Kit Round, Mike Murphy, Casewell, Colson, Dave Fisher,Pete Johnson (Haybag) , Phelps, et al.
Nobby used to come and stay some weekends at our house and ……Tony Collette (may have name incorrecect) came on holidays with my family to Abersoch in Wales...I have a photo somewhere.

My father passed away whilst I was in the 5th form and I went off the rails a bit and played truant for most of the year, subsequently left, went (pushed by my mother and family friends) to Naval College in Cardiff, and served an apprenticeship in the Merchant Navy, getting my Foreign going Masters ticket at Southampton University and sailed around the world, but mostly West Africa. I left after 8 years, and worked for a large Flooring Contractor, after 6 months I left and started on my own, at the same time Malcolm Acklin (Mac) had just got demobbed from the Army and we hooked up and worked together for well over 10 years and had 30 + staff, until he decided England wasn’t for him anymore (that’s another story!!!) and he emigrated to Oz and we sold out….I met him a few times in UK after that and I went to see him in Oz about 8 years ago and stayed with him for a couple of weeks….sadly he passed away about 4 years ago.
After selling out, I bought a Pub in Worcestershire, Gil Jones used to come for lunch at least once a fortnight with his wife, Mary and we would also go out for meals with them, I think he was Headmaster then, strange how things work out!!!
I did meet up at the Pub when Mac came back for a visit in the early 90s with Mitch Mitchell, Kit Round and Richard(?) Harding and we had a good time reminiscing, I think Rich Harding was in the building trade, Kit Round was in high end Medical Supplies, Mitch was working for the Council.

I bumped into Geoff Brown 3 or 4 times on flights to the States, he was the subject of an interview on Birmingham TV about a year or so ago and during that he said that he now lives in Mexico.(I see his first wife occasionally) I would occasionally see Norman Garwood, who went in TV/Films, doing production design, he ended up living in the States, and got an nominated 3 times for an Oscar and once for an Emmy, and won a BAFTA….he passed away last year.(he was on the roll call of deceased dignitaries)

I remember all the staff and a lot of contemporaries names not mentioned in these threads, but putting the names to faces is another matter, I played rugby for the school, but cannot see myself on any photograph, I threw the javelin (I have a winners badge!), discus and shot in county championships…afraid I have only one pic of the swimming team and nothing else.

I do remember going on a YHA trip with Hepton and I think Mercati to walk over Helvellin and Scafell Pike and remember we all bathed in ice cold water on the top of the mountain…..never quite sure about Hepton??. I also remember a school trip to Neustatt ( I think) in Bavaria to improve our German with Barry Long and Ian Lewis…or was it someone else?

I think that’s enough from me now, I’ll await some comments………….

Back