• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cannon Hill Park

When I was born my parents lived in Mary Street, Balsall Heath. Apparently my Mom took me in my pram every day to Cannon Hill Park. When it was cold she tucked a hot water bottle in my blankets! She loved it there, and although she moved from the area 4 years after, she always remembered those walks.

oh how lovely lynn to have a hot water bottle to keep you warm..our park was handsworth park...by the way are you ok for photos of mary street if you dont have any i could search my files for you

lyn

I remember around 70's/80's they had an Art Centre there, I took 2 courses, Art History and Watercolour Basics, I bet that is long since gone. Eric

oh how lovely lynn to have a hot water bottle to keep you warm..our park was handsworth park...by the way are you ok for photos of mary street if you dont have any i could search my files for you

lyn
Yes she was a wonderful Mom :heart: and I was a spoilt only baby, well spoilt with love anyway! How kind of you Lyn :) When you get chance I'd be really grateful if you could have a look. Phil and Mike did find a couple for me but any at all would mean a lot to me.

i doubt if phil and mike found you some that i have any different lynn but i will have a look and if there is not already a thread for mary st i will start one...leave it with me

lyn

#153 - Cannon Hill Park - Lake from the Bridge.
#153 Cannon Hill Park.jpg

#154 - Cannon Hill Park - Lake.
#154 Cannon Hill Park - Lake.jpg

#155 - Cannon Hill Park - Boating on the Lake.
#155 Cannon Hill Park.jpg

#51a - Cannon Hill Park - c1946 - Tinted version of my previous post #51.
#51a Cannon Hill Park - 1946.jpg

#115a - Cannon Hill Park - Tinted version of my previous post #115.
#115a Cannon Hill Park.jpg

Park entrance c1916. Viv.

Edit. Apologies just realised this was posted earlier. Viv.
812337F5-CD24-4A45-977D-9A69D775EA2C.jpeg

Last edited:
Does anyone remember the annual themed flower displays. My great great uncle, Harry Frankcom was a gardener at the park from 1913 until he retired. His only break was from 1914 -1919 when he was sent on an 'all inc' trip to France, Turkey, and Palestine. One of his jobs at the park was to make sure all the bedding plants flowered at the same time for the display.
A great old boy who lived for gardening. This is the first time I've posted photos so excuse me if I mess it up

Attachments

• Canon Hill Park (3).jpg
    Canon Hill Park (3).jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Canon Hill Park.jpg
    Canon Hill Park.jpg
    502.4 KB · Views: 13
Just been watching the Secret History of Gardens presented by Monty Don. The Park was originally built on marsh land. They also showed an interesting range of horse boots, donkey boots and camel boots (!) for wearing when they pulled lawn mowers, specifically at Cannon Hill, the silent lawn mower. You learn something new every day. Viv.

Does anybody remember a building in or near Canon Hill park that Birmingham Education used in the 1950's for testing children with a series of mental ability tests?

Is that the place which became the Peto Institute? Entrance off Russell Road via Cannon Hill car park. The place is now NICE centre for Movement Disorders.

Last edited:
Is that the place which became the Peto Institute? Entrance off Russell Road via Cannon Hill car park. The place is now NICE centre for Movement Disorders.
Sound like that was the one. Thanks for the quick reply. I am trying to find out why I went there in 50's, I can remember doing ink blot tests and various others.

oh i do hope it will be saved..i really do..reading the report it seems the £32000 is only to pay for the review of the building not to restore it...once again it could be a case of too little too late but lets keep hoping

lyn

Last edited:
oh i do hope it will be saved..i really do..reading the report it seems the £32000 is only to pay for the review of the building not to restore it...once again it could be a case of too little too late but lets keep hoping

lyn
Am I reading it right ? £32, 000 towards some "experts" to review it's condition, does "towards" hint that they might need even more money just to to review it :eek: ? I'm sure they will greedily use up all that money and then decide they can't find funds to actually retore it.

Am I reading it right ? £32, 000 towards some "experts" to review it's condition, does "towards" hint that they might need even more money just to to review it :eek: ? I'm sure they will greedily use up all that money and then decide they can't find funds to actually retore it.
yes that is how i read it izzy and totally agree with you..it will cost many thousands of pounds to restore it and lets face it the council have had years to get this sorted and given the financial straits they are in now are they really going to put money they dont have into restoration..i think not....i myself bombarded the council about restoring this wonderful old pub but as usual it all fell on deaf ears..

i also find it odd that this new interest in the pub comes so soon after the wake of the loss of the crooked house pub himley...no doubt time will tell

lyn

Back