• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cannon Hill Park

#116 - Cannon Hill Park - c1951
#116 Cannon Hill Park - 1951.jpg

#117 - Cannon Hill Park - Pool - Framed Version of #40.
#117 Cannon Hill Park - Pool - Framed version of #40.jpg

#118 - Cannon Hill Park - The Pool.
#118 Cannon Hill Park - the Pool.jpg

#119 - Cannon Hill Park - Waterfall and Rockery - (Low Quality Picture)
#119 Cannon Hill Park - Waterfall and Rockery.jpg

#120 - Cannon Hill Park
#120 Cannon Hill Park.jpg

I took this photograph at the Tulip Festival, Cannon Hill Park on 23rd April 1962 (Easter Monday). Shows a couple of veteran cars being driven around the show ground. Feel I should know the name of the building in the background but I have forgotten. Dave.
P1000530 (2).JPG

My association with Cannon Hill Park, started at a very young age, I was about 3 years old when pushed in my chair around the park by my dear dad, we visited the exotic birds and peacocks , walked round the lake, and visited the pavilion, when older dad told me the reason for the parks name, from the civil war, and cannons were sited there to bombard Birmingham, he told me the very large rock was a "meteor", which I found out later it was't, We visited the river Rae, and the little museum, and we sat and ate "Midland dairy ice cones from the man on a bike. It was such an integral part of my up bringing, as were The Lickey Hills, we were poor you see, so no holidays , but wonderful memories. Paul

My association with Cannon Hill Park, started at a very young age, I was about 3 years old when pushed in my chair around the park by my dear dad, we visited the exotic birds and peacocks , walked round the lake, and visited the pavilion, when older dad told me the reason for the parks name, from the civil war, and cannons were sited there to bombard Birmingham, he told me the very large rock was a "meteor", which I found out later it was't, We visited the river Rae, and the little museum, and we sat and ate "Midland dairy ice cones from the man on a bike. It was such an integral part of my up bringing, as were The Lickey Hills, we were poor you see, so no holidays , but wonderful memories. Paul
It sounds
Sounds as if you had a great childhood. Holidays were often a great disappointment, the memories I have of great holidays were when we went to a friend of the family's bungalow which was actually an old single deck bus with a dry toilet. Other happy times of spending days with mates at Cannon Hill Park that sounds much like your memory.
Thanks for sharing, cheers Tim.

Thanks Tim, and thanks to You all, though a poor family by today's standards, the love and excitement created by my parents, and that I lived in such a, (though industrial, a beautiful), city with so many parks, and gallery's and museums, was very special, though I have lived away since my 15th birthday, and am now nearly 73 years, I have never forgotten those wonderful childhood times and places, demencia aside I hope to have them for the rest of my time here. I have always thought how lucky and proud, I was to have been born a Brummie, it was my nick name during my army service. Paul

We used to go to the park & zoo a lot when I was little, it must have been a cheap day out in the school holidays!

I loved the little museum with the stuffed animals at the zoo side entrance, and can remember a little petting zoo with sheep & goats & you could buy bags of food pellets to take in to feed them with. I also remember riding a camel there.

The one thing I remember very clearly, and would love information on if it exists, is the coin operated tableau - automaton type things, like little shop fronts with moving figures that played & sort of acted out songs (I seem to remember one was How Much Was That Doggie In The Window & another I think was Teddybear's Picnic). I'm sure they were near where the train ride was. They were really creepy/fascinating & it was a treat to be able to operate them as they must have cost more to 'play' than other amusements.

Would love to see any pictures of the zoo as it was. I have been to the Nature Centre fairly recently & was pleased to see the old entrance was still there (the bit where the turnstyles was), but would love to see it as it was.

does anyone know if the bridge at cannon hill park is still there...nice photos two

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: Two
ICE SKATING IN THE PARK
I have a vivid memory of going to Cannon Hill Park in the winter of 1951 or 52. The ponds were frozen over and lights had been erected and me and my sister ice skated on the pond in the evening. It is difficult to imagine this ever happening now. Even if the weather was cold enough for the ponds to freeze the Health and Safety brigade would soon put a stop to it.

Does anyone else have any recollections of this or any photos?

I had put this post on the Calthorpe Park thread by mistake. It's in the right place now.

Regards from Redruth

Arnold

ICE SKATING IN THE PARK
I have a vivid memory of going to Cannon Hill Park in the winter of 1951 or 52. The ponds were frozen over and lights had been erected and me and my sister ice skated on the pond in the evening. It is difficult to imagine this ever happening now. Even if the weather was cold enough for the ponds to freeze the Health and Safety brigade would soon put a stop to it.

Does anyone else have any recollections of this or any photos?

I had put this post on the Calthorpe Park thread by mistake. It's in the right place now.

Regards from Redruth

Arnold
Can remember the lake being frozen in 1947 which is the coldest and longest winter I remember. Mind I left the UK in June 1963. Spent a lot of time Cannon Hill Park , a real wonderland.

thats a smashing photo two....does anyone know if the memorial is still there as i cant remember seeing it last time i was at the park

lyn

The same memorial is shown in picture no. 4 in post 145 . That picture is dated c1911 so perhaps it commemorates the Boer War. Lovely pictures.

Regards from Redruth

Arnold

When I was born my parents lived in Mary Street, Balsall Heath. Apparently my Mom took me in my pram every day to Cannon Hill Park. When it was cold she tucked a hot water bottle in my blankets! She loved it there, and although she moved from the area 4 years after, she always remembered those walks.

Back