• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Computer help please.

Try this...Right click on the exe file and select Properties. Then select the Compatibility tab, tick Compatibility mode Run this program in compatibility mode for: and select Windows7 from the drop down box

Try this...Right click on the exe file and select Properties. Then select the Compatibility tab, tick Compatibility mode Run this program in compatibility mode for: and select Windows7 from the drop down box
thanks i will try that

thanks for reply..
yes. and i use a rs232 to control the radio. Software/Radio Control -
RS232 ... I haven't used that protocol since the 1990s !

I would think for rs232 you will need to use dual boot of Win10 and Win 7 so some serious googling needed to ensure a successful set up.

Microsoft don't support Win7 so you may need to install it from a disk. The other alternative is to dual boot with Linux which does support radio apps.

Maybe an easier way is to buy or obtain an old Win7 laptop and use that just for your radio apps etc.

RS232 ... I haven't used that protocol since the 1990s !

I would think for rs232 you will need to use dual boot of Win10 and Win 7 so some serious googling needed to ensure a successful set up.

Microsoft don't support Win7 so you may need to install it from a disk. The other alternative is to dual boot with Linux which does support radio apps.

Maybe an easier way is to buy or obtain an old Win7 laptop and use that just for your radio apps etc.
yer phil that is what i thought. the laptop i lent has been given me now. so i wont mess with that. i got a old laptop.very cheap. no wifi or lan,that will do just for radio control. i will look on fleabay for a 7disk,or even a xp and license...... ta for help.

RS232 was a cable interface not a protocol. As long as the two devices it connects have the socket it should work. As to the software that allows them to talk to each other, that's a different matter.

RS232 was a cable interface not a protocol. As long as the two devices it connects have the socket it should work. As to the software that allows them to talk to each other, that's a different matter.
the hardware is ok, win 10 software. even with a usb to rs232 converter does not work....the programs. are for win xp software.

Does anyone know if you can upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 for free? Without losing files/photos on computer? It's not for me just trying to help a friend. Regards, RobT

Yes you can upgrade free from W7 or W9 or W8.1 see below as one example ...
Backup photos and files before doing so ... :)
Also see below
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/windows-7.48114/post-669251

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you can upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 for free? Without losing files/photos on computer? It's not for me just trying to help a friend. Regards, RobT
Rob, I’m not sure now. A few years ago I had to pay for mine. It seems like there is some charge for most things these days!

Still free as per OldMohawk's Post #110. I did one about a year ago, no problem, and I have to do one for a friend just arrived in her house from the UK, but am allowing a couple of weeks quarantine before I enter there. I've also done an old laptop from 8.0 to 8.1 and thence to 10.00 without any problems. Assuming the machine is compatible to update to 10 then it's pretty straightforward.

Maurice :cool:

Here is some info about update to Win10 without data loss but it still pays to backup data to an external source ... just in case. One way of backing up is to use a plug-in 32Gb flash drive and simply copy all data files to it. It is then simple to copy files back to the computer if necessary. The size of the flash drive will be dependent on the amount of data.
If the previously mentioned Windows 8.1 is accepted by Microsoft for that computer then the user has a licence. Microsoft will allow the free upgrade to Win 10 using the same licence and activation is usually automatic.

Windows 10 is now a very stable operating system. I know someone who as only ever used Apple Macs and they were impressed by Win10 when they saw it in action.

Good to hear a good comment about Windows 10. I would not revert to it as you can only ideally use one operating system at a time. When I had dual boot Mint and Windows I only booted Windows once per week to update it, so it was surplus to requiremenrts as they say. I think I still have my 8.1 license details to hand if I needed it.

I regularly check my broadband speed which is on the low side of around 14mbps. I thought i would try changing the channel on my router to see if it made any difference. I tried channels through one to ten with no difference in speed but when i tried the last channel ( 11 ) it shot up to 34mbps which was a nice surprise & i`m sticking with that.

I regularly check my broadband speed which is on the low side of around 14mbps. I thought i would try changing the channel on my router to see if it made any difference. I tried channels through one to ten with no difference in speed but when i tried the last channel ( 11 ) it shot up to 34mbps which was a nice surprise & i`m sticking with that.
whis mine was. its only 5mps,.... a load of pants.postoffice

And here in a rural Greek village we are paying for 50mbps and getting 45 mbps, yet there are villages a few miles north of here who can't even sustain a dial-up line because of the high noise levels. It's a very uneven internet world.

Maurice :cool:

It pays to avoid using a channel which a neighbour is using because in rare cases there can be slight interference. My laptop and iPad are both using channel 36 at present and wi-fi speed is same as the incoming broadband speed.

It pays to avoid using a channel which a neighbour is using because in rare cases there can be slight interference. My laptop and iPad are both using channel 36 at present and wi-fi speed is same as the incoming broadband speed.
.... channel ?

I have BT fibre optic giving 48 mbps but I never download films etc... so I suppose speed is irrelevant. Not being PC wise I don,t know what the advantage of speed is ? Eric

Back