• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wilmot Breeden Limited

Hi
I wonder if anyone can offer any assistance to me. I am looking to find out who worked at the Tysley site back in 1966. My mother in law Dorothy Evans worked there at the time. I don’t know if there would of been employees listed anywhere ?? This would be of great help if anyone can offer assistance.
Was your mother in law called Dot and did she live in Sheldon?

Hi all
my reason for the employee list is because I am looking for my husband’s biological dad. He would of been an Asian man, my mother-in-law as I said was Dorothy Evans, we do not have a name and therefore hope that someone on this site can help. My husband was born in February 1967, we believe his dad may have lived at 100 Adderley Rd, Saltley, Birmingham. This is the only information I have. Please help if you can, as it will mean a great deal to my husband to find his roots and further family. Your help is extremely important thank you

Sorry to raise your hopes. my Dad worked with a lady at Amington Rd. named Dot but she lived on Cranes Park Road, Sheldon.
Jim
no problem, thank you for your help. Hopefully someone will be able to help on this site. But appreciate your help none the less.

If anyone can shed some light or provide a direction that will help, as just need something to guide us and any information that may lead us to finding my husband’s dad.

If anyone can shed some light or provide a direction that will help, as just need something to guide us and any information that may lead us to finding my husband’s dad.

hello jyoti as your search could involve a living person i have sent you a private message with some information...

lyn

Last edited:
I was an apprentice at WB 1959-64. I was a member of the Catana Club which used to organise expeditions to N. Wales and similar areas for climbing and walking, usually camping or sometimes stopping at Youth Hostels.
In 1963 the members decided to do the "Three Peaks" - Ben Nevis. Scafell & Snowden - in one weekend.
It took a lot of organising. We asked the company if we could borrow a suitable vehicle and eventually we were allowed to borrow a Landrover from the Rover company.

The two main problems were the roads and communications. There were no motorways in Scotland in those days and no mobile phones. We had a climbing team of 5 which included me: a team of drivers and some others to put up tents and do the cooking.

We has to set out in the early hours of the Sat morning and it was mid afternoon before we arrived at Fort William to the for the climb up Ben Nevis. On returning to the car it was straight back south to the Lake district for a few hours rest and then up Scafell Pike. Back in the car for the journey to the foot of Snowden. We returned from that climb in late afternoon. For communications we had sussed out the nos. of telephone boxes in Lake district and at Snowden.
We stopped at tel. box in Scotland to make the arranged call and it was still a manual exchange and the operator asked for the No. The exchange was Onich. How do you pronounce that?

We had our 5 minutes of fame by appearing on television on the programme Midlands at Six and piece in the Birmingham Post -See below. The picture is in rather poor condition.
002.jpg 003.jpg Birmingham Post 2 Sept 1963

Regards from Redruth

Arnold

The company I worked for had to do work on Wilmot Bredons canteens, we had to strip the old wallpaper off a large high wall at one end, it was Vymura where the washable top pulls off and leaves the backing as lining paper. The wall was quite high so we had trestles and catwalks up to pull 20ft long lengths off. Halfway through we heard a commotion down below and there were a load of women rolling up the discarded vinyl to take home, We told them it was no good as it was a type of plastic and would not stick back on with paste but they wouldn't listen and carted it all away, some even waited for the rest to be pulled off so they could get enough for their room, I often wondered how they got on trying to put it up.

In 1963 the members decided to do the "Three Peaks" - Ben Nevis. Scafell & Snowden - in one weekend.
It took a lot of organising. We asked the company if we could borrow a suitable vehicle and eventually we were allowed to borrow a Landrover from the Rover company.

We had our 5 minutes of fame by appearing on television on the programme Midlands at Six and piece in the Birmingham Post -See below. The picture is in rather poor condition.
View attachment 148441 View attachment 148442 Birmingham Post 2 Sept 1963

Regards from Redruth

Arnold
Arnold, "Dined out" for ages on this story. I was one of the drivers, on the Snowdon-Birmingham leg, and I appeared in the TV news programme on the Monday evening. I have never before seen the newspaper cutting. If I remember correctly the only motorway at that time was M6 from Gailey, did we call it the Preston by-pass?

Arnold, "Dined out" for ages on this story. I was one of the drivers, on the Snowdon-Birmingham leg, and I appeared in the TV news programme on the Monday evening. I have never before seen the newspaper cutting. If I remember correctly the only motorway at that time was M6 from Gailey, did we call it the Preston by-pass?
Hi Jim I couldn't remember if you were on this trip or not. I seem to remember that the M6 motorway went from north of Stafford to the Scotland border but I may be wrong.

Regards Arnold

Theoretically -providing there are no delays or closures - it is possible, I believe, to drive from Newton Abbot in Devon to a point in SW Scotland non-stop.

. I seem to remember that the M6 motorway went from north of Stafford to the Scotland border but I may be wrong.

Regards Arnold
It was 1970 before the M6 was built over Shap. Stan Whitehead, who you will remember, went out of retirement to work as a civil engineer on this stretch.

Theoretically -providing there are no delays or closures - it is possible, I believe, to drive from Newton Abbot in Devon to a point in SW Scotland non-stop.
The longest I have driven non-stop is from Kidderminster to Redruth. My friends and I had gone to visit the Severn Valley Railway for the day. From where we joined the M5 just north of Worcester to where the A30 becomes single carriageway just north of Truro I did not change gear. I'm not saying how fast I drove!

Regards Arnold

I was an apprentice at WB 1959-64. I was a member of the Catana Club which used to organise expeditions to N. Wales and similar areas for climbing and walking, usually camping or sometimes stopping at Youth Hostels.

The two main problems were the roads and communications. There were no motorways in Scotland in those days and no mobile phones. We had a climbing team of 5 which included me: a team of drivers and some others to put up tents and do the cooking.

We has to set out in the early hours of the Sat morning and it was mid afternoon before we arrived at Fort William to the for the climb up Ben Nevis. On returning to the car it was straight back south to the Lake district for a few hours rest and then up Scafell Pike. Back in the car for the journey to the foot of Snowden. We returned from that climb in late afternoon. For communications we had sussed out the nos. of telephone boxes in Lake district and at Snowden.
We stopped at tel. box in Scotland to make the arranged call and it was still a manual exchange and the operator asked for the No. The exchange was Onich. How do you pronounce that?

View attachment 148441 View attachment 148442 Birmingham Post 2 Sept 1963

Regards from Redruth

Arnold
I remember that Arnold; I was one of the drivers. I was going on holiday to Scotland that week and volunteered for the leg from Sterling, (I think), to Ben Nevis and back. I drove there in my A40, parked in a lay-by and slept the night on a camp bed in the back. Next morning I cooked bacon and egg, the smell of which almost caused the postman to ride his bike into the ditch.
You arrived shortly after and we swapped drivers. The LandRover was a development model and required enormous pressure to operate the clutch.
I think it took you about three hours to run up and down Ben Nevis but I might be wrong. I remember thinking that I was glad it was you and not me!
Happy days

I remember that Arnold; I was one of the drivers. I was going on holiday to Scotland that week and volunteered for the leg from Sterling, (I think), to Ben Nevis and back. I drove there in my A40, parked in a lay-by and slept the night on a camp bed in the back. Next morning I cooked bacon and egg, the smell of which almost caused the postman to ride his bike into the ditch.
You arrived shortly after and we swapped drivers. The LandRover was a development model and required enormous pressure to operate the clutch.
I think it took you about three hours to run up and down Ben Nevis but I might be wrong. I remember thinking that I was glad it was you and not me!
Happy days
Development model in this case means developing your muscles in your left leg! The thing I remember about the vehicle was an electrically heated windscreen which was probably a recent innovation then. Were you the one who made the phone call from Onich?

Arnold

Back