• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tastes Of The Past

mike your post has just reminded me of when i was a kid.. if mom was cooking spring cabbage dad would give us a cup of hot cabbage water with a tad of pepper in and say...get that down you it will do you good...did anyone else do this?...actually it tasted ok to me

lyn
Yes Lynn, my Gran always gave me a cup of cabbage water, I loved it!!

mike your post has just reminded me of when i was a kid.. if mom was cooking spring cabbage dad would give us a cup of hot cabbage water with a tad of pepper in and say...get that down you it will do you good...did anyone else do this?...actually it tasted ok to me

lyn
My nañ at Harborne did that supposedly good for spots, but then a slice of dippy bread. What would the woke brigade say to that?
Bob

lyn
it is good for you,it keeps you fit, drink lots, and it keeps you running.:grinning: we drunk it becouse mom was a very bad cook. every thing she boild went into the water. tatter soup.water, bless her cotton socks:heart:

TASTE BUDS? I know that cod liver oil and malt has probably been mentioned before but I was wondering what members memories of it are. Mom regularly dosed us with it in the 1950's and my brother loved it. It was called 'toffee stuff' in our house and he said that was all he could taste. I thought it was just awful and could only taste the fish.

Looking at Mike's post about salt I am trying to cut my salt intake down as I'm a salt junkie. We eat a lot of vegetables and salads and I find them incredibly difficult to eat without salt but Graham doesn't seem to notice whether there's salt or not. We ate in the local chippie the other day with friends and I just couldn't eat my fish and chips without salt although I wasn't so generous as I would have been.

I'm very fussy about my bread and like Cranks which Graham won't eat as he says it's like chewing a brick. What that says about me I don't know. I do make my own sometimes and this is a quick recipe which was used in the war. The Doris Grant loaf might be worth a try for all those who crave something 'real'. http://www.lindseybareham.com/the-grant-loaf/

Nothing like salt for hardening your arteries, Lady P, and I used to use a lot when I was younger. Now I can't remember the last time I put salt on anything. I do have a lot of use for pepper - white or black. Since the salt was removed from such as cup-a-soups, the taste has gone as well. Perhaps that was all that was in it - salt! :) Can't avoid it in such things as potato crisps, of course, and I can never eat just part of a packet, so perhaps it is the yearning for salt, who knows?

Maurice :cool:

TASTE BUDS? I know that cod liver oil and malt has probably been mentioned before but I was wondering what members memories of it are. Mom regularly dosed us with it in the 1950's and my brother loved it. It was called 'toffee stuff' in our house and he said that was all he could taste. I thought it was just awful and could only taste the fish.
1600688543102.png1600688777739.png

Nothing like salt for hardening your arteries, Lady P, and I used to use a lot when I was younger. Now I can't remember the last time I put salt on anything. I do have a lot of use for pepper - white or black. Since the salt was removed from such as cup-a-soups, the taste has gone as well. Perhaps that was all that was in it - salt! :) Can't avoid it in such things as potato crisps, of course, and I can never eat just part of a packet, so perhaps it is the yearning for salt, who knows?

Maurice :cool:

maurice i have to avoid having lots of salt due to the very high BP problem i had last year which as you know put me in hospital for 10 days...have very little in veggies and i can get none salted bacon..i also buy salt your own crisps.. i just throw away the little blue bag..actually i now prefer crisps without salt on them..

lyn

maurice i have to avoid having lots of salt due to the very high BP problem i had last year which as you know put me in hospital for 10 days...have very little in veggies and i can get none salted bacon..i also buy salt your own crisps.. i just throw away the little blue bag..actually i now prefer crisps without salt on them..

lyn
lyn, I am also on a low sodium diet, 2000 mg per day. When I taste anything salty I can tell immediately and prefer without. It took sometime to get used too but I did. I had a kidney removed a few years ago and go to see a nephrologist and dietician every three months to keep me in check. So far so good!

excellent richard so pleased you are doing so well...keep up the good work as you say you do get used to these new ways....by choice i gave up alcohol 4 and half years ago now...now just the smell of it makes me feel sick:D

lyn

Lyn, I made a similar decision just after I got married but in my case it was sugar not alcohol :laughing:
I stopped having sugar in my tea and now I cannot drink it if it has been sugared. Perversely I cannot drink coffee without sweetener! I drink tea with milk no sugar and black coffee with sweetener. How weird am I?:laughing::laughing:

Lyn, I made a similar decision just after I got married but in my case it was sugar not alcohol :laughing:
I stopped having sugar in my tea and now I cannot drink it if it has been sugared. Perversely I cannot drink coffee without sweetener! I drink tea with milk no sugar and black coffee with sweetener. How weird am I?:laughing::laughing:
Join the party

Bob

Reading these comments made me pleased that I managed to show my children, now all grown up, how to cook food on a budget. With the recent COVID lockdown I had the time to bake more and to invent new cakes. Not all tasted fab but with custard on them they would do!! Its just me and my youngest son living together now ( he is 32) and he knows that if he doesn't eat what's put in front of him he gets nothing else. Listening to other moms they all say how much food they waste and they cook different food for each child whereas in my house, I had five children, if you didn't eat what was put in front of you then you did without. I wasn't standing for any nonsense about picky food eaters at my table. I realised recently that I had turned into my nan. Perhaps we should have a recipe page on the site that has to have a good old fashioned meal that we all know we can't do with out. Mine is beef stew with dumplings. Followed by home made rice pudding. Still cheaper than shop bought ready made stuff.

Reading these comments made me pleased that I managed to show my children, now all grown up, how to cook food on a budget. With the recent COVID lockdown I had the time to bake more and to invent new cakes. Not all tasted fab but with custard on them they would do!! Its just me and my youngest son living together now ( he is 32) and he knows that if he doesn't eat what's put in front of him he gets nothing else. Listening to other moms they all say how much food they waste and they cook different food for each child whereas in my house, I had five children, if you didn't eat what was put in front of you then you did without. I wasn't standing for any nonsense about picky food eaters at my table. I realised recently that I had turned into my nan. Perhaps we should have a recipe page on the site that has to have a good old fashioned meal that we all know we can't do with out. Mine is beef stew with dumplings. Followed by home made rice pudding. Still cheaper than shop bought ready made stuff.
Welcome to the Forum Shelia.............great folks here!

I think you have everything about right especially the part with beef stew and dumplings, low sodium of course :)

very:grinning:

Back