• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tastes Of The Past

You'll have to lurk about Lydl until they have new supplies. I'm intrigued now.

Just had a salad sandwich with SC - lovely.

I must admit I can only eat lettuce (& iceberg at that) with salad cream. I also have found a preference for Hellmans Classic Tomato Sauce as opposed to Heinz recently. That's the problem with Lidl, these specials are not necessarily repeated on a regular basis, but I will keep my eyes open, Lady P. :)

Maurice

hi pen...as a kid i used to love salad cream sarnies lol

and for you eric re your post 194 the cafe corner of villa st/nursery road 1960..i am 99.9 % certain that the lady and child standing at the no 8 bus stop is our mom and my brother..wish i knew who the lad standing outside the crown pub was..the other two corners are berts fruit and veg shop and the post office...i have many great photos of the old end but this one has to be my favourite click on photo twice to enlarge..:)Nursery Road - Hockley - 10-10-1960.jpg

lyn

Last edited:
'Spicy American Recipe' - a comment I've seen suggests it tastes a bit like curry?
I don't think it has been sold in UK yet?

and Hellmans tomato sauce is best!

upload_2018-7-13_6-32-41.png

Mbenne,

McEnnedy is the brand Lidl uses when it has an American Week - here generally twice a year and your middle image in the previous post looks precisely like the Sandwich Sauce I saw in Lidl the other day and has since disappeared. As they haven't had such a week for some time, perhaps they were disposing of dead stock, they do that quite often. Yesterday they had an odd pack of saw blades and an odd pack of grinding wheels, not ticketed & not advertised.

Maurice

From the review I saw you would probably be better off with the old saw blades and grinding wheels!

Lidl here is a customer short this week, the lady I take over there for her weekly shop fell flat on her face on the concrete walking down the High Street on Thursday and is still in hospital with an elbow fracture and her face looking like she's gone ten rounds with Ali.

Mbenne,

McEnnedy is the brand Lidl uses when it has an American Week - here generally twice a year and your middle image in the previous post looks precisely like the Sandwich Sauce I saw in Lidl the other day and has since disappeared. As they haven't had such a week for some time, perhaps they were disposing of dead stock, they do that quite often. Yesterday they had an odd pack of saw blades and an odd pack of grinding wheels, not ticketed & not advertised.

Maurice
Maurice, interesting, I have never seen this brand in the USA, might be regional or something. FYI both Hellman’s and Heinz are continuing to expand their offering of of various sources. Not necessarily a good thing!

Richard,

I doubt in McEnnedy is a real US brand because the whole thing is most probably manufacturered entirely within Germany as Lidl is a German company.

Maurice :cool:

One meal I yearn for is a piece bread, not your modern day crap bread, but a real piece from the past, all crusty and freshly baked by a small bakery as they used to be. Thickly covered with a good old dollop of dripping including the dark jelly that came with it, a liberal sprinkling of salt, and topped with a coating of that wonderful "Flag" brown sauce.
Then for afters, a big wedge of Bread Pudding!
Without doubt the so called culinary experts and dietitians of to-day will throw their arms up in the air with horror at such a meal. I say to them "get a life"! I and hundreds of thousands of other Brummies were brought up on a diet like that and my arteries are as a clear as a bell, and I feel privileged to have experienced such culinary delights and would be estatic to have it shoved under my nose for lunch to-day.
To me American bread is to sweet. I loved going to Harding's on Church Rd Yardley and getting a piece of fresh baked bread YUMMY nothing tasted better

There i also the point that the "healthy" brigade , who support such abominations as soya milk (Yuck), spinach and cabbage juice drinks etc, also are reducing the salt level in bread, which for , at least, commercial brands, makes it pretty tasteless. I can remember a friend 40 years ago having the cost of her sandwiches (from a local bakery/sandwich shop) refunded because they had not put enough salt in the bread. Regrettably that would not happen now

mike your post has just reminded me of when i was a kid.. if mom was cooking spring cabbage dad would give us a cup of hot cabbage water with a tad of pepper in and say...get that down you it will do you good...did anyone else do this?...actually it tasted ok to me

lyn

Mike,

I am intolerant of ordinary cow's milk, and after over 30 years without it, can't stand the taste of it now. But I totally agree that the soya milk that they tried to foist on me is definitely yuckety-yuck. Spinach I can eat raw as a salad component, but cook either that or cabbage and they both well and truly turn me off. When it comes to bread, we have a lovely selection here in Crete and the only sliced & wrapped rubbish is brought in from Germany by Lidl.

Maurice :cool:

I like Tesco`s Tiger batons. Cut a few slices off, a dollop of butter & some Gouda cheese & i`m as happy as Larry (Who is this Larry? ) Lincoln plum bread is to die for !!

Wife says to her husband, who was that on the phone darling? Hubby replies, Just some nutter who thinks we live by the sea, wants to know if the coast is clear.

Back