• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fishers of Ivy Lane,

bombed out brummie

master brummie
Looking for relatives of Susan Fisher( nee Chapman) & husband Arnold Fisher, who had a fruit shop, I believe in Garrison Lane. 1911 and beyond. Susan's father was Edward, trade a Slater.

Marriage 3rd November 1901 St Gabriel, D
eritend
Arnold Fisher father ,Walter to Susannah Maria Chapman father Edwin.

before their marriage both lived in High Street Aston with Arnolds sister Eliza Parkes.
Arnold and susannah had a daughter Violet in 1908.
Living in !vy Lane in 1911
1939 at 77 Lawley Street
Arnold fisher b 3rd July 1881
Susannah M b 15th August 1881
Violet b 29th April 1908
Whether Violet was apart from her husband or not, . ( she married in 1926 Francis Diffley) and she was living with her parents and Francis in Garrison lane in 1930 but 1939 saying she is single, she died in 1992 as Violet Diffley.
. I have found Arnold F Diffley b 1927 and then what appear to be twins b 1941Susannah Diffley and Violet Diffley all with mother Fisher In 1955 Francis and Violet are together in Lawle.y Street

eritend

before their marriage both lived in High Street Aston with Arnolds sister Eliza Parkes.
1939 at 77 Lawley Street
Violet b 29th April 1908
Whether Violet was apart from her husband or not, . ( she married in 1926 Francis Diffley) and she was living with her parents and Francis in Garrison lane in 1930 but 1939 saying she is single, she died in 1992 as Violet Diffley.
. I have found Arnold F Diffley b 1927 and then what appear to be twins b 1941Susannah Diffley and Violet Diffley all with mother Fisher In 1955 Francis and Violet are together in Lawle.y Street
Thank you so much for your reply with that information. Are you related in any way to the Fishers? I had got most of what you gave me, but I could not find the birth's registered for Susannah Maria Chapman or her sister Clara Maria Chapman on the GRO Index. According to the 1901 census Susannah was born in 1883 and on Clara's marriage to John William Parker in St Gabriel's in 1904 Clara was born in 1884. Susannah Maria married Arnold Fisher later in 1901, but her name on the GRO on line Index was mis-transcribed as Chatman. The main reason I am interested in the Fishers is, that they may have had information about Edwin/Edward Chapman, their great grandfather because, I was told by my aunt, that Susannah and Clara's father, Edwin/Edward Chapman, was supposedly married to my great grandmother after her first husband died. My grandmother's maiden name was Hurley, but on just one of her children's birth certificates gives it as Chapman, on the rest as Hurley I cannot find a marriage of Chapman and Hurley. I believe, Violet born 1941 married Kenneth Moore in 1964, Susannah born 1941 married Raymond Rea in 1962 and Arnold married Edith Robinson in 1950 . Edwin /Edward died in the workhouse infirmary in Birmingham in 1917. Thank you once again for taking the time and trouble to reply, if you are related and have any more information I would love to hear from you. Regards

Looking at the censuses I think it may be possible that Edwin Chapman might actually be Edwin Foyle.

On the 1901 Susannah Chapman is in the household of James H Parkes, the brother in law of her future husband, Arnold Fisher. With them is Edwin Foyle.

On the 1911 census with Arnold & Susannah is an Edwin Chapman of a similar age. Also with them is an Eliza Shepherd listed as a relative, she was Edwin's sister.

Confusion and little lies about names are common when there are illegitimate children.

Looking at the censuses I think it may be possible that Edwin Chapman might actually be Edwin Foyle.

On the 1901 Susannah Chapman is in the household of James H Parkes, the brother in law of her future husband, Arnold Fisher. With them is Edwin Foyle.

On the 1911 census with Arnold & Susannah is an Edwin Chapman of a similar age. Also with them is an Eliza Shepherd listed as a relative, she was Edwin's sister.

Confusion and little lies about names are common when there are illegitimate children.
Thank you MWS for that very useful Idea about Edwin Foyle. It gives me another avenue to research. Once again thank you for your time and trouble with your reply.

eritend

1939 at 77 Lawley Street
Violet b 29th April 1908
My grandad was Francis diffley 1926, he wasnt listed anywhere for a while because he lived in Canada and worked over there in the R.A F,that was what i was told as a child, my mom was Susannah Diffley(Rea).The graves of Arnold and Susannah Fisher are in Witton cemetry ,but have now disappered because they are council owned and they reuse the ground after time.

Back