• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St. John's Approved School

I was in St.Johns from 79 until 82. Would like to contact anyone who was there at that time.
I was in st johns back then my name is Mary Sweeney i was on Aston view! What a crazy place took me the best part of 30 years to get over my childhood but i do have fond memories of some of the staff, paul blest paul jones one of my favs hilary the home ec tea her And so many more but cant remember names i remember unison movement, murder in the dark in the gym mr B spitting in ur face while he shouted An inch frim it lol crocodile lines and sooo much more xx

I would love to see some familiar faces from back then, my name is Mary Sweeney does anyone remember me xx i was in Aston
View.

Hi all,I would just like to say a thank you Jim for all your help with this site.I was in St johns chs in late 70s early 80s. I remember be taken up the drive and walking in that big front door,if you went left at the door there was a massive walk way with mesh above your head. Then if you went to the left was kitchen and unit called redlands,but if you went right there was adoor to the back of the building and when you go though that door, on the left was pentlands(secure unit 4beds. But just at the side of pentlands there was a door which went some steps,when I asked what the home was before I was told about the nuns and that little room below was where they sent when naughty. On the back wall was marks of days and other writing. It was astore cupboard when st johns was a chs. I remember them gates,and I can't believe they took tennis courts away and pulled down woodsong all for new secure unit. Which is now not in use. Always remember Mr b and Jones. I went back to visit afew times. I have aphoto of the main entrance but haven't aclue how to load to this site. Any help would be grateful,I'm not to good with computers lol. Take care all.
I was in there in early 80s. Spent time on all of the units. Good & bad memories.

I was in st johns back then my name is Mary Sweeney i was on Aston view! What a crazy place took me the best part of 30 years to get over my childhood but i do have fond memories of some of the staff, paul blest paul jones one of my favs hilary the home ec tea her And so many more but cant remember names i remember unison movement, murder in the dark in the gym mr B spitting in ur face while he shouted An inch frim it lol crocodile lines and sooo much more xx
SWEEEEEEEEENNNNEEEEYYYYY!! How you doing sweetie. You're one of my happier memories of that place. Always remember your mad sense of humour.
Hi bob was wondering thé punishment book was this relating to pentlands lornswood rédlands 1980+
Bob I suspect my name fills a lot of those pages

SWEEEEEEENNNNEEEEYYYYYY! You're one of my happier memories. In fact I think of you a lot when I think back. You had a wicked sense of humour! Never pass Bicester without thinking of you! I remember me on sanctions & scrubbing the floor & you decided to slide up it in one of those oh so flattering green skirts & because there was white bits on it had to do it again! Great to hear from you. Hope all is well in your world. Take care x

. I've been looking for yrs and everytime I hit a brick wall. He was always true to his word and honest,I used to visit him when he worked in the new sure unit and they had carpet on the floor,lol. In pentlands (old secure unit) we had wooden flooring and a scrubbing brush,bucket and on your hands and knees job. I don't know where eleas to look,I've call hundreds of p Jones from old phone books off the net,I've spoke to some lovely people and some not so nice,lol. He wasn't one for computers,think it was age ;-). Thank you bob for your help.
I remember Paul he was one of the better staff. Went to his house a lot it was in Sutton Coldfield

Good, you'll have lots of tales to recall now.

The St John's as you remember was gutted and rebuilt in 1996/7 or there abouts. It became a 100% childrens home, with the new secure unit doing what Pentlands did. After many changes, the whole site is now an administration block.
Can you send Paul my best please. My name is Andrew Lintott. He was one of the kinder staff there

SWEEEEEEENNNNEEEEYYYYYY! You're one of my happier memories. In fact I think of you a lot when I think back. You had a wicked sense of humour! Never pass Bicester without thinking of you! I remember me on sanctions & scrubbing the floor & you decided to slide up it in one of those oh so flattering green skirts & because there was white bits on it had to do it again! Great to hear from you. Hope all is well in your world. Take care x

Omg lol im not sure if i remember you or not! Im terrible with names better with faces, glad im a good memory yep still funny lol a lot f my memories are to do with getting into trouble for laughing, i literally just found out yesterday about Gil! Was shocked i Remember him Dragging down the corridor of Aston view and throwing me in he bedroom for swearing lol i had to do 500 lines... i must not say the word edit ******* are you on facebook are you in touch with anyone else Im chuffed someone remembered me, stupid really i haven't thought About st Johns for a long time And was watching long lost family and thought about trying to My records and started searching just the day before yesterday and found this forum x im great by the way took a while hope your doing well to x

Last edited by a moderator:
Omg lol im not sure if i remember you or not! Im terrible with names better with faces, glad im a good memory yep still funny lol a lot f my memories are to do with getting into trouble for laughing, i literally just found out yesterday about Gil! Was shocked i Remember him Dragging down the corridor of Aston view and throwing me in he bedroom for swearing lol i had to do 500 lines... i must not say the word Bastard are you on facebook are you in touch with anyone else Im chuffed someone remembered me, stupid really i haven't thought About st Johns for a long time And was watching long lost family and thought about trying to My records and started searching just the day before yesterday and found this forum x im great by the way took a while hope your doing well to x
I'm (edit please contact by message) on fb. Add me . I got my care files. VERY redacted but don't suppose they want you seeing their lies lol x

Friends reguest sent i need to know how to get my file! I really really want it x
I'll message you with details on how to get your file. It's an easy process. Edit - link removed. Please make con act via BHF messaging - small envelope above on blue bar. Haven't received request x

Hi all,I would just like to say a thank you Jim for all your help with this site.I was in St johns chs in late 70s early 80s. I remember be taken up the drive and walking in that big front door,if you went left at the door there was a massive walk way with mesh above your head. Then if you went to the left was kitchen and unit called redlands,but if you went right there was adoor to the back of the building and when you go though that door, on the left was pentlands(secure unit 4beds. But just at the side of pentlands there was a door which went some steps,when I asked what the home was before I was told about the nuns and that little room below was where they sent when naughty. On the back wall was marks of days and other writing. It was astore cupboard when st johns was a chs. I remember them gates,and I can't believe they took tennis courts away and pulled down woodsong all for new secure unit. Which is now not in use. Always remember Mr b and Jones. I went back to visit afew times. I have aphoto of the main entrance but haven't aclue how to load to this site. Any help would be grateful,I'm not to good with computers lol. Take care all.
. I've been looking for yrs and everytime I hit a brick wall. He was always true to his word and honest,I used to visit him when he worked in the new sure unit and they had carpet on the floor,lol. In pentlands (old secure unit) we had wooden flooring and a scrubbing brush,bucket and on your hands and knees job. I don't know where eleas to look,I've call hundreds of p Jones from old phone books off the net,I've spoke to some lovely people and some not so nice,lol. He wasn't one for computers,think it was age ;-). Thank you bob for your help.
Hiya, im not good on names but i was in st jonhs on Aston view my ne is Mary Sweeney, i also went to the house next door and got a job in the department store in Erdington, i have loads of memories from st jonhs do u remember me? I was in unison movement as well, i remember Mr Miles, Paul Jones, Hilary, gil Lewis (just found out about him! ) i remember so much more staff kids holidays just not good with names xx

Hello Curlyedna. I do remember Paul Jones. When I started there in 1991, he was the deputy manager in the new secure unit that had recently opened. I think he lived quite local to St John's, but where exactly I don't know.
Hi, i was in st johns for a long time i was so close to Paul, he tried to adopt me! Id love to find him he use to live in Sutton coalfield and look after pigeons lol but thats all i remember any help would be amazing! Thank yooou x

I was in St.John's early 80s. Spent time on all the units. I remember Paul & Kathy & Bertie Bumfluff (horrible man) My name is Andrew Lintott. Had a pic sent to be by Mary. She was a ray of sunshine

I remember Mr McKale, Mr B, Gil Lewis and Mrs Colclough very well. I wish I could leave a link here for a book but you'll just have to look for Eskay Teel on amazon. It's an autobiography and features A LOT about St Johns and some of the people and. of course, the kids (of which I was one).
I'm not lying. You mentioned gil. Or if the delete the name just put st johns and 5 years. Youll see it. Put in full name and 5 years and the piece from the Birmingham evening mail. He lived on site. Took an interest in kids with no families to turn too. A real Jimmy Saville character. Somebody said they were there from 87 to 92. It wasn't a place like that. I spent the whole of 88 there. What a hole in the ground that was.. next to the dorm on Aston view (level 3 of the structure) there was a room for one. On several occasions we heard scuffing then the anguish as the boy cried himself to sleep. There's no too many staff looking for a reunion. Because there's no small children attending.. I've got the clipping from its closure in the nineties after a damping report whose consensus was "they couldn't work out who it was to help or how it was to help them". That's the exact quote from the bridge report after 3 children died while on the run from there.. .. there was a handful of staff. One called Trevor, he said "this is wrong" in summing up the home. I'm amazed people are celebrating the place

I was in St.John's early 80s. Spent time on all the units. I remember Paul & Kathy & Bertie Bumfluff (horrible man) My name is Andrew Lintott. Had a pic sent to be by Mary. She was a ray of sunshine
Yeah 5 yrs bertie for abuse. Look it up. Kathy and her son. What a miserable old trout..... that home was run for the staffs benefit. There was no rehabilitation programs of any kind. Which for a home which took in the high risk cases is staggering to me..

I was 13 when I was in st johns I was in red lands unit it was not a nice place I remember Paul Jones and Mr b we also had a dance teacher that made us do strange things to music unison movement it was called I was always trying to abscond always looking around for a little blue commer van with 6 white dots on the side the head of st johns was Mr colclough his son at the time played for england rugby Maurice colclaugh I hated some of the staff for reasons that cannot be aired but there were one or two good staff anyone wishing to contact me regarding st johns please do so oh and I must mention edit: one of the staff who had me face down a few times in back of van with my arms up my back lol
Nice to hear someone else remembers the conveyer belt of misery that st John's produced... I can't get my head around
Hello All.

I lived at St Johns 87-92/93. I remember most of the staff and children there. I adored (almost) each and very member of staff there, faults and all. They looked after me, they saved my life and moulded me into the person am today.

Bob Kendall
Alan Sargent
Ken Gregory
Eamon Duffy
Sandra Trickett
Trevor Minto
David Goodman
Dave Stewart
Debbie Crawshaw
Steve and Richard Gittings
Keithy Jaeger
I could go on and on....

I miss them all dearly. I have managed to find a few of them and thanked them personally. If anyone has any information on anyone that I may know, please point them to here.

Kind Regards
Nina :) xx

Attachments

• 16198085458931210621540.jpg
    16198085458931210621540.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 1619808576364-1949055878.jpg
    1619808576364-1949055878.jpg
    579.8 KB · Views: 11
Back