• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Perry Beeches Secondary School

Hi again David. I expect we still think of each other looking like the big school photo (if only!). Actually, I think I look better at 69!!!! What was I thinking having my hair like that!

Lovely to hear from you. Didn't end up a multi millionaire playing for the Villa then?
Mary

Yes, well remembered. David Olds. I’ve just found this thread and love it. Great. It was a great school, although I was nervous of doing anything wrong and being brought up to the very scary Mr Edge. Hi Jeannette and of course Wendy.

No, unfortunately. We were thrown into a running game for 10 minutes and if you shone you went on to better things. I don’t think Alan Glover did either but Les Randall maybe. Bumped into Les and others once at Perry Hall park fair but never again. Did they all go to Australia? I wish I had.
DaveO

No, unfortunately. We were thrown into a running game for 10 minutes and if you shone you went on to better things. I don’t think Alan Glover did either but Les Randall maybe. Bumped into Les and others once at Perry Hall park fair but never again. Did they all go to Australia? I wish I had.
DaveO
That's a shame, but in those days the earnings were not so ridiculously high as now I suppose.

I know what you mean, but I'm afraid the whole world will be similar very shortly. (Might just get our innings in before it gets too bad - at least we had the '50s and 60's!!)
Mary

Yes, well remembered. David Olds. I’ve just found this thread and love it. Great. It was a great school, although I was nervous of doing anything wrong and being brought up to the very scary Mr Edge. Hi Jeannette and of course Wendy.
Hi David, lovely to have your message. Yes, this forum is fantastic,I remembered so many occasions at school once I started to look through the posts. Even better were the school photographs, all thanks to Harry for posting them. I found where you were standing in the pic, can’t believe that it is 54 years ago, seems like yesterday looking at everybody. Mr.Edge was a frightening prospect if you were sent to his office for doing something wrong. Ah well maybe more of the class members will find this forum then we can have a good old catch up.

I seem to have missed the notification of Clifford's passing. That's strange, and sad news indeed.

Hi Blondie (David). Would your surname be the opposite of NEW then - or am I wrong?
Mary (Sorry, took so long to appear, I pressed the post reply button again - duh!)
I seem to have missed the notification of Clifford's passing. That's strange, and sad news indeed.

Hi Blondie (David). Would your surname be the opposite of NEW then - or am I wrong?
Mary (Sorry, took so long to appear, I pressed the post reply button again - duh!)
Hi Mary, gosh you have a good memory, remembering David’s surname.

Hi Mary, gosh you have a good memory, remembering David’s surname.
Hi Jeannette, I still have that at least! Thinking about it you know,, and going by this week's weather, I don't think Australia would have been for me ...phew. 33 degrees here, and where my sister in law lives in Perth, they regularly get 40!

Hi Jeannette, I still have that at least! Thinking about it you know,, and going by this week's weather, I don't think Australia would have been for me ...phew. 33 degrees here, and where my sister in law lives in Perth, they regularly get 40!
Think I still have mine too Mary, the kids haven’t referred to my memory yet, in fact I try to impress them by repeating something to them that they told me months ago, especially their friends names and places they have been - or are they are just being kind to me and not telling me that I have it wrong! Looking forward to more people from our class seeing these posts. Jenny

Then let’s test it ladies. Was I right in saying I’m standing next to Cecelia Pitt and maybe Lynne Wilson? Do you remember somebody in the the B stream fighting with the science teacher, all faces looking through the glass as they fell across the tables. Big thing in those days. Then there was the big fire that I could see even where I lived. Having to go up to the comp to use their facilities. How quickly time flies, 70 in September. With regret I wish I’d stayed in touch. What did you both end up doing?

Then let’s test it ladies. Was I right in saying I’m standing next to Cecelia Pitt and maybe Lynne Wilson? Do you remember somebody in the the B stream fighting with the science teacher, all faces looking through the glass as they fell across the tables. Big thing in those days. Then there was the big fire that I could see even where I lived. Having to go up to the comp to use their facilities. How quickly time flies, 70 in September. With regret I wish I’d stayed in touch. What did you both end up doing?
You have your hair coming forward in the pic and you are showing your pearly whites aren’t you David? I would say that one of the girls is Cecelia Pitt and although I recognise the girl the other side of you I couldn’t say whether it is Lynne Wilson. I remember going up to Great Barr Comp but not really why we had to go there. I remember the really foggy days and why, I don’t know, we were all sent out to stand on the field area. It was great, most of the kids got their one cigarette out of their pocket and started smoking, of course no one could be seen through the fog. Thank goodness we are all so much more educated about smoking nowadays. I remember Mr. McShane, enjoying his ciggy whilst sitting back on his desk after he had told us what to do in English. I enjoyed the lessons with Mr. McShane. I loved the Domestic Science unit, there was a little room at the back, where you would go and lie down if you felt poorly, it was so comfy. I did bump into Alan Glover when I was about 20. We met up a few times and we had a lovely day in London together. I’ll private message you from this page (it’s the envelope icon at the top of the forum)and fill you in with my happenings over the last 50 odd years! I will promise not to bore you:joy::grinning:.

Mr Benson & Hedges!! My handwriting is a testament to Mr Mac. I think we all had a puff in those days, stopped when I was 20. He taught me not to slope the letters “ they must stand up like soldiers or they will fall over”. Bless, didn’t stop him giving me the whack though. I got whacked by Mr Edge and Mr Caldicott. He didn’t like me looking at my workbook in an exam.

Last edited:
You have your hair coming forward in the pic and you are showing your pearly whites aren’t you David? I would say that one of the girls is Cecelia Pitt and although I recognise the girl the other side of you I couldn’t say whether it is Lynne Wilson. I remember going up to Great Barr Comp but not really why we had to go there. I remember the really foggy days and why, I don’t know, we were all sent out to stand on the field area. It was great, most of the kids got their one cigarette out of their pocket and started smoking, of course no one could be seen through the fog. Thank goodness we are all so much more educated about smoking nowadays. I remember Mr. McShane, enjoying his ciggy whilst sitting back on his desk after he had told us what to do in English. I enjoyed the lessons with Mr. McShane. I loved the Domestic Science unit, there was a little room at the back, where you would go and lie down if you felt poorly, it was so comfy. I did bump into Alan Glover when I was about 20. We met up a few times and we had a lovely day in London together. I’ll private message you from this page (it’s the envelope icon at the top of the forum)and fill you in with my happenings over the last 50 odd years! I will promise not to bore you:joy::grinning:.

You have your hair coming forward in the pic and you are showing your pearly whites aren’t you David? I would say that one of the girls is Cecelia Pitt and although I recognise the girl the other side of you I couldn’t say whether it is Lynne Wilson. I remember going up to Great Barr Comp but not really why we had to go there. I remember the really foggy days and why, I don’t know, we were all sent out to stand on the field area. It was great, most of the kids got their one cigarette out of their pocket and started smoking, of course no one could be seen through the fog. Thank goodness we are all so much more educated about smoking nowadays. I remember Mr. McShane, enjoying his ciggy whilst sitting back on his desk after he had told us what to do in English. I enjoyed the lessons with Mr. McShane. I loved the Domestic Science unit, there was a little room at the back, where you would go and lie down if you felt poorly, it was so comfy. I did bump into Alan Glover when I was about 20. We met up a few times and we had a lovely day in London together. I’ll private message you from this page (it’s the envelope icon at the top of the forum)and fill you in with my happenings over the last 50 odd years! I will promise not to bore you:joy::grinning:

Jeannette, is that Stephen James next to you on the photos? Mary I still can’t put a name of the tall fellow next to you only Andrew the other side.

Jeannette, is that Stephen James next to you on the photos? Mary I still can’t put a name of the tall fellow next to you only Andrew the other side.
I have had a look at the photo and yes I think it is Stephen James, I couldn’t have told you that, but he fits the name. Tony Hill is on the other side of me. Do you remember the Friday night disco? Think Spencer Davis Group was one of the bands at that time, Keep On Running, loved that song. I didn’t go many times, I lived in Perrywood Road, a bit of a distance for me, not many of the class kids lived that way so it was a long walk on my own.

I have had a look at the photo and yes I think it is Stephen James, I couldn’t have told you that, but he fits the name. Tony Hill is on the other side of me. Do you remember the Friday night disco? Think Spencer Davis Group was one of the bands at that time, Keep On Running, loved that song. I didn’t go many times, I lived in Perrywood Road, a bit of a distance for me, not many of the class kids lived that way so it was a long walk on my own.
Never went to the Friday night disco. Like Tony Hill, I travelled in to school from Burford Rd which is just off the Hawthorne Rd, Kingstanding and Tony from somewhere in Erdington. That’s why I never knocked about with the lads after school because it was too far away. I did go to Alan Glovers a few times though. Would still like to hear your life story though.

Last edited:
Never went to the Friday night disco. Like Tony Hill, I travelled in to school from Burford Rd which is just off the Hawthorne Rd, Kingstanding and Tony from somewhere in Erdington. That’s why I never knocked about with the lads after school because it was too far away. I did go to Alan Glovers a few times though. Would still like to hear your life story though.
Hi David, I have used the private message facility to you so I hope it posted ok. It should be in your message box.

Hi David, sorry for delay, didn't get prompt, computer been in for repair ( oh joy). Yes, Lynne Wilson and Cecelia Pitt. I think the tall lad next to me was Graham Hick, but might be wrong, as he was very quiet. I didn't realise people lived so far away. I lived down the bottom of Coleraine Road (up Beeches road past the Clifton Cinema, over the canal and down the road. Thought nothing of walking - and back and forth for lunch. Not like now. What did I end up doing? Moved about a lot following hubby's job, so I did Administration. Then 11yrs in Southern Ireland because he thought it was a good idea (it wasn't). Last administration was several yrs working for West Midlands Arts (later the Arts Council), in the Drama Dept, oh and managed to fit in some semi-professional acting as well. (I had always done various levels of amateur as I moved around, but started and finished at the Crescent Theatre on Broad Street, from where the semi-professional company formed. I remember the disco - even remember wearing a brown faux velvet two piece, oh and the fire, after which no more games of Pirates in the gym, sadly as we all loved it. - Another practice that wouldn't happen now. It was thought a bit dangerous then I think. I could never get up the rope to escape, I remember that! I remember going to somewhere, I thought it was a college, but maybe it was the comp, anyway it was secretarial stuff, but just one day I think, very near the school dentist I think, but that's a bit foggy. Anybody else remember Pirates?

Hi David, sorry for delay, didn't get prompt, computer been in for repair ( oh joy). Yes, Lynne Wilson and Cecelia Pitt. I think the tall lad next to me was Graham Hick, but might be wrong, as he was very quiet. I didn't realise people lived so far away. I lived down the bottom of Coleraine Road (up Beeches road past the Clifton Cinema, over the canal and down the road. Thought nothing of walking - and back and forth for lunch. Not like now. What did I end up doing? Moved about a lot following hubby's job, so I did Administration. Then 11yrs in Southern Ireland because he thought it was a good idea (it wasn't). Last administration was several yrs working for West Midlands Arts (later the Arts Council), in the Drama Dept, oh and managed to fit in some semi-professional acting as well. (I had always done various levels of amateur as I moved around, but started and finished at the Crescent Theatre on Broad Street, from where the semi-professional company formed. I remember the disco - even remember wearing a brown faux velvet two piece, oh and the fire, after which no more games of Pirates in the gym, sadly as we all loved it. - Another practice that wouldn't happen now. It was thought a bit dangerous then I think. I could never get up the rope to escape, I remember that! I remember going to somewhere, I thought it was a college, but maybe it was the comp, anyway it was secretarial stuff, but just one day I think, very near the school dentist I think, but that's a bit foggy. Anybody else remember Pirates?
I don’t really remember the Pirates Game Mary, but then I didn’t excel in P.E or games, I remember the hockey, brutal game with those lethal hockey sticks! Your two,piece suit bought back memories of the needlework that we did at school. I made 2 suits and several shift dresses during my classes. The one suit was a vivid pink colour, I even lined it with a lighter pink silk material, oh how I loved that suit.
Jenny

I don’t really remember the Pirates Game Mary, but then I didn’t excel in P.E or games, I remember the hockey, brutal game with those lethal hockey sticks! Your two,piece suit bought back memories of the needlework that we did at school. I made 2 suits and several shift dresses during my classes. The one suit was a vivid pink colour, I even lined it with a lighter pink silk material, oh how I loved that suit.
Jenny
Hi Jenny, Oh Needlework classes, Mrs Baker - I hated it. She was horrible to me because I was no good at it I suppose. I couldn't change the bobbin on the sewing machine and I remember her saying "nobody help her!" horrible woman. I did in fact invent the mini-skirt though, about 6 months early, when I forgot to allow for the hem!!!! Maybe Mary Quant saw my design and I'm due some money?!

Hi Jenny, Oh Needlework classes, Mrs Baker - I hated it. She was horrible to me because I was no good at it I suppose. I couldn't change the bobbin on the sewing machine and I remember her saying "nobody help her!" horrible woman. I did in fact invent the mini-skirt though, about 6 months early, when I forgot to allow for the hem!!!! Maybe Mary Quant saw my design and I'm due some money?!
Yes you could be worth a fortune Mary, however did we get away with wearing the mini skirt. Climbing the stairs on the bus was tricky. I can’t picture Mrs Baker, cruel teacher for saying nobody to help you, how are you supposed to learn? Happy days ay:joy::joy:. Jenny

Back