• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingstanding

does anyone out there remember St Marks Church Social Club in Kingstanding in the early 1970s? be interesting to know if there is.

Hi..
We lived at 178 Twickenham Road... Also attended Twickenham School in 1967 to 1969...
I was in the football team a year above me and also in the final year.. That was a great team winning the H.M.S. Shield and the Waterfall Trophy plus League winners.....
I have attached some pics of the Teams... Mr Smith and old man Lane was the teachers...
I can still remember my team mates names if any one is interested....20200728_132419.jpg

I don't think I can place them Richarddye, I'm guessing before my time here. Keep safe and well
Hi Andy my friend dave pair and his wife live in Atlantic rd , I fitted his central heating in there house many years ago , the did there sons .dave was into moter racing as a marchal as I recall.

Thanks for the map. Yes regarding the gap between the houses I believe the builders found it too steep to build on at the time so picked the easy ones, that site was built on in late 60s or early 70s when they used concrete raft instead of footings, they just leveled it out to a gentle slope then cast a slab, then built on that.
looking at your map our house was the first to the left of the gap, Al.
Thank you and all the other people who have responded to my threads I am new to this tec no stuff ant even got a mobile,. I now live in warren farm rd opposite Christ the king school .bought the house 18 years ago. Seen lots of changes many in the village on hawthorne rd . The driver from b o c who delivers ice at work (the blood service) played as I young boy withe the children of the lady we bought the house from ,.her name was hannan . We have a garden railway in the back garden and when building it kept digging up marbles , I still have them and still keep finding them

Last edited:
Hi G G Jean. I am not very good surnames, as I quite young, but if you have any Christian names of adults and/or children, I may recall, or if you know approximately where on Bendall Road they lived? I lived opposite Sudbury Grove. There was a lady and her daughter on one corner (the name Michelle springs to mind, but can't remember if that was the lady or her daughter) then there was Ted, his wife and daughter on the other corner. There was the black Christian family. Their granddaughter Ebony used to visit during the holidays, she was my good friend. There were the Butterleys, the family next to them, Mrs Alexander, us, the old man next door who was Harold, but he passed away and I can't remember who moved in, Nell, the the Gibsons. I remember a family right around Bendall Road, about No. 108, the mum was Cora, she had children Andrea and I think Michael. I remember the Mills family, but not too many other. I remember some families from Sudbury Grove, and the other Grove up the hill.
Hi Brummie Teen Forever

Ted Morgan, his wife (I’m afraid I can’t recall her name) and their daughter Marion lived at No. 2 Sudbury Grove.

Hi Brummie Teen Forever

Ted Morgan, his wife (I’m afraid I can’t recall her name) and their daughter Marion lived at No. 2 Sudbury Grove.
I used to go out with a young lady who lived in Sudbury Grove mid sixties, her Father had racing pigeons. Her Uncle had an ice cream van so we used to get free ice cream when he came around.

From research, Edward Morgan married Marion M Park in Birmingham in the 3rd quarter of 1937. They had a son, Edward (jnr) in the same quarter of 1937.

This corner of Kings Road seems to have been redeveloped (now a dentist). I think the Stones Biscuit shop might have become a Geo Baines, the bakers. But not 100% sure about that. Viv.

DBAAF24D-D4BE-4E7E-9434-A4FFE3456BB5.jpegSource: British Newspaper Archive

8AED29E4-4A84-41E1-8BE3-EF3CFE5E2839.jpeg

The background to the photo is :

It would have been a Sunday. Mum worked 6 days a week so the only time we could have done the journey we were taking. We always visited my Nan in Sutton on a Sunday - Geo Baines seems to be closed. This visit was ‘required’ and not something either of us looked forward to. I look especially unenthusiastic, but definitely not as lacking in excitement as my mum ! Mum and Nan didn’t really get along, but we did our duty. Strangely it must have been my Dad who took the photo - he rarely came with us even though it was his mum we were visiting. He must have come to see us off onto the bus.

This was the only time I’d have travelled by Midland Red bus. There’s still a bus stop near where we’re standing and assume the buses to Sutton still stop there.

We were in our Sunday best. Can’t say I liked the hat I’m wearing, but all part of the presentation for my Nan. The hat I remember very well, being very scratchy, and made with a straw-like material that was bonded in some way making it quite rough. The dress I adored, it was a mid-pink colour with polka dots and an appliquéd white pocket. Polka dots were all the rage at the time. I also loved mum’s handbag, unusual shape and containing her Max Factor powder compact - the smell of that face powder always reminds me of her.

The one thing I found quite touching about seeing this photo again and comparing it on Streetview is the trees are still there where we were standing and they’re flourishing. How life goes on.

Viv.

Last edited:
The background to the photo is :

It would have been a Sunday. Mum worked 6 days a week so the only time we could have done the journey we were taking. We always visited my Nan in Sutton on a Sunday - Geo Baines seems to be closed. This visit was ‘required’ and not something either of us looked forward to. I look especially unenthusiastic, but definitely not as lacking in excitement as my mum ! Mum and Nan didn’t really get along, but we did our duty. Strangely it must have been my Dad who took the photo - he rarely came with us even though it was his mum we were visiting. He must have come to see us off onto the bus.

This was the only time I’d have travelled by Midland Red bus. There’s still a bus stop near where we’re standing and assume the buses to Sutton still stop there.

We were in our Sunday best. Can’t say I liked the hat I’m wearing, but all part of the presentation for my Nan. The hat I remember very well, being very scratchy, and made with a straw-like material that was bonded in some way making it quite rough. The dress I adored, it was a mid-pink colour with polka dots and an appliquéd white pocket. Polka dots were all the rage at the time. I also loved mum’s handbag, unusual shape and containing her Max Factor powder compact - the smell of that face powder always reminds me of her.

The one thing I found quite touching about seeing this photo again and comparing it on Streetview is the trees are still there where we were standing and they’re flourishing. How life goes on.

Viv.
I never understood why we had to dress up to go to Nannas house or aunt so and so or uncle whoever. Because when we got there I could not play and had to listen to the adults boring boring :cool: . When I got older I used to go see them on my bike, it was always a nice visit!

Back