• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Michaels RC School Floodgate Street

re,,,tommy griffin he was seamus dunleavys brother in law,,,not his nephew,,,he owned and ran the talk of the town club for 25yrs or more,,,he passed away very suddenly in 1998 from a heart attack,,,,he had a lovely family 4 boys and 1 girl,,,at his death he was living in gorleston,,,near gt yarmouth,,,,after living for many years in seven star rd solihull,,,,he was a great character with many friends as witnessed by his huge funeral,,,,in gorleston,,,,his 4 boys all run their own businesses,,,and like tommy were very good footballers,,,,best regards john griffin [brother]
Hi john do remember me Tommy Hames think you are in first year football team photo shot happy days

Hi. My Mom went to St Michael's Senior in 1958. Her name was Carole Ann Dodds. I have tried the Facebook link and it doesn't connect for me. Has anyone got a picture of the school as I know it was bombed and I am struggling to get hold of one. It is my Mom's 70th next year and I am building a book of memories for her. Many thanks Michaela.
Hi there went st Michael's same time as your mom school not bombed still there apart of a college now wonderful times Tommy Hames if you want other info please reply

The school that your mother attended is mostly still there and not bombed out, Give your mother my best wishes I do remember her. was she in Joe parkers class 1A in 1958? there are some photos out there of this class and A2 the following year. I have a photo to repost of the 1st year football team.
Hi my name isTommy Hames front row middle of photo with ball back row is not Bernard Flynn it is Christopher Kiernan happy days

Hi. My Mom went to St Michael's Senior in 1958. Her name was Carole Ann Dodds. I have tried the Facebook link and it doesn't connect for me. Has anyone got a picture of the school as I know it was bombed and I am struggling to get hold of one. It is my Mom's 70th next year and I am building a book of memories for her. Many thanks Michaela.
many thanks,,,bob, for posting photo of our old team at st michaels,,,,its almost 60yrs ago,,where did the years go.,,,i had lost this photo,,,,,they were a good bunch of lads, john mullen could of made it in the professional game,,he was a great player, regards john griff
Hi John tommy hames here fromt row with ball back row mot Bernard Flynn its Christopher Kiernan

Did anyone go to St Michael's RC School, Floodgate Street, Digbeth ?

I cannot find any mention of it anywhere, this school was a Catholic School, bombed out of Bordesley Street in the Second world war and moved to the old Floodgate Street School, Digbeth in about 1943.

This school educated!!!! many rough and ready catholic 'brummie' lads, some of whom went on to be 'millionaire's',(to my knowledge) but I have never found anyone posting anything about this school.

Post war the headmaster was Mr McCoy, who's reputation was legend, it was a hard school where boxing was encouraged for a preparation for later life.

Well where are the old 'boys' what have they done!! Did their time at' Saint Mick's' see them all right in life? You know that you are out there!!

I went there 1958-63, it was an 'education' but stood me in good stead through life and allowed me to retire independent at 54!! not so bad!!!

So any memories out there!!!! Will anyone contribute, please.
Yes i was at st micks 1958 left 1962 great days have a lot of great memories get in touch only just joined site few days ago Tom Hames

Yes attnded 1958 to 1962 Tommy Hames football photo shows me with ball back row next to lovell should be Christopher Kiernan not name stated Bernard Flynn great days great school

Did anyone go to St Michael's RC School, Floodgate Street, Digbeth ?

I cannot find any mention of it anywhere, this school was a Catholic School, bombed out of Bordesley Street in the Second world war and moved to the old Floodgate Street School, Digbeth in about 1943.

This school educated!!!! many rough and ready catholic 'brummie' lads, some of whom went on to be 'millionaire's',(to my knowledge) but I have never found anyone posting anything about this school.

Post war the headmaster was Mr McCoy, who's reputation was legend, it was a hard school where boxing was encouraged for a preparation for later life.

Well where are the old 'boys' what have they done!! Did their time at' Saint Mick's' see them all right in life? You know that you are out there!!

I went there 1958-63, it was an 'education' but stood me in good stead through life and allowed me to retire independent at 54!! not so bad!!!

So any memories out there!!!! Will anyone contribute, please.

dear sally,,,could you re-post the photo i cant see it,,,my late brother is on it ,,,tommy griffin,,,best wishes john griffin,
Hi John your sitting next to me in photo still name all the team its me with the ball happy days 1a 1958 football team i remember you being good at woodwork i think get in touch only just joined

Hello everyone,
It's been a while since I last logged in but I can't think how I missed this thread. I went to St Michael's in 1957, I can still remember old Parker, Miss Morran (later Lyons?) Mr Dobson and Mr Halsey; he taught us how to play cricket. Was it Halsey who used to take us out to the the allotment?
Mr Dobson was ex 8th Army in the desert and was always singing the "D-Day Dodgers" song.
I was another one who regularly got the can off old Parker!

It's great to see this thread of the old school, who remembers the chippy just around the corner, and the tuck shop next door which made their own toffee slabs?

Best Wishes

Mike (Costello)
Yes Mike i remember it all great days remember you too Tom Hames

Hi everyone,
I was hoping to see that photo that Sally put up some time ago as my mother Philomena Sheehan (later O'Neill) was mentioned and I have no photos from her youth. Sadly my mother passed away a year ago in Aberytswyth where she had moved with my father and her sister Marie Sheehan in their retirement.
Does anyone have that photo or any photos that she might be in?

Hi john do remember me Tommy Hames think you are in first year football team photo shot happy days
yes tommy i well remember you from st micks and st patricks house you were captain of most things, ...its incredible how long ago it all was,58yrs,,,my son used to live in no 1 bordesley st, so i often passed the old school.it brought back the memories, great memories, best wishes,,,john griffin,

i went to st michaels digbeth,54 57,some of my classmates,& friends.philip donovan,terry o,brian(tacky) good footballer,declan troy,roy hunt,venanzio bove,billy mccuirk,bobby mccracken,i often wonder,if he is the father,of robert mccracken,boxing champion,who knocked 10 bells out of me in the ring.girls,anne holden,mary pender.teachers,joe (dirty)parker.mr. mccoy.mr.bobbit woodwork teacher.
rockinden,pulling
bobby mccrackens 3 sons all boxed professional...bobby himself worked for me as a doorman,,,he was a very hard man, in fact in his prime he was the best in bham. i handled lots of doormen in my career in bhams night life, so i know a bit,

tommy i remember you as captain of st anns football team, playing at highbury playing fields against english martyrs,before st micks, john mullen rip was our captain,,,,he was a brilliant player,,,way past the rest of our team, ,in fact you could of called us a one man team, i will never know why john wasnt spotted,,,where we often played in perry barr,, i once saw joe mercer watching aston boys, i was to young to tell him,who he should of been watching,,,,great to hear from you,,,you mention somewhere about my woodwork ability ,,i mastered two trades bricklaying and carpentry,,,best regards john griffin,

Hi John your sitting next to me in photo still name all the team its me with the ball happy days 1a 1958 football team i remember you being good at woodwork i think get in touch only just joined

I went to another RC School. Archbishop Williams at Tile Cross. My best mate in my first year (1966) was Paul Flatley who lived in Dora Rd Small Heath. I believe that Paul's older brothers went to St Michael's. One was called Tim I believe. Paul and his brothers were great fans of the Kinks pop group at that time and Paul got me into liking them as well. We lost touch after school but I heard that Paul died suddenly in the early 90s. He was always a great Blues fan and a good footballer.

re,,,tommy griffin he was seamus dunleavys brother in law,,,not his nephew,,,he owned and ran the talk of the town club for 25yrs or more,,,he passed away very suddenly in 1998 from a heart attack,,,,he had a lovely family 4 boys and 1 girl,,,at his death he was living in gorleston,,,near gt yarmouth,,,,after living for many years in seven star rd solihull,,,,he was a great character with many friends as witnessed by his huge funeral,,,,in gorleston,,,,his 4 boys all run their own businesses,,,and like tommy were very good footballers,,,,best regards john griffin [brother]
A little bit off topic.. Séamus Dunleavy has written a book about his life that includes a lot of detail about Birmingham in the 60s and 70s,in the then Irish enclave of Sparkbrook and later in Solihull. There is a lot about his clubs, including the Talk of The Town on Stratford Rd. He later sold this club to his brother in law Tommy Griffin as you mention. Seamus tells a tale of rising from poverty in the West of Ireland to living on Lovelace Avenue, one of the best addresses in Solihull. His book is well worth a read for anybody interested in the history of the Birmingham Irish. It's called Meeting Princess Maud. Princess Maud being the boat that brought Irish Immigrants from Ireland to Britain in the 1950s.

yes tommy hames i well remember you ,,one of the best ,,i hope you are well,
A little bit off topic.. Séamus Dunleavy has written a book about his life that includes a lot of detail about Birmingham in the 60s and 70s,in the then Irish enclave of Sparkbrook and later in Solihull. There is a lot about his clubs, including the Talk of The Town on Stratford Rd. He later sold this club to his brother in law Tommy Griffin as you mention. Seamus tells a tale of rising from poverty in the West of Ireland to living on Lovelace Avenue, one of the best addresses in Solihull. His book is well worth a read for anybody interested in the history of the Birmingham Irish. It's called Meeting Princess Maud. Princess Maud being the boat that brought Irish Immigrants from Ireland to Britain in the 1950s.
hello john james ,,,tommy griffin built the house on lovelace avenue you refer to for seamus dunleavy ,tommy was an outstanding bricklayer ,very well known and sort after,,by the biggest ... builders in the uk, it is called dalworth house its beautiful,,,,7or 8 bedrooms ,,,,all ensuite,,,lads tommy trained many are now in london,earning very big money,,,,tommy was a great teacher,to many lads if they were prepared to graft hard,,,,if not they were gone in hours, regards john griffin,

yes tommy hames i well remember you ,,one of the best ,,i hope you are well,

hello john james ,,,tommy griffin built the house on lovelace avenue you refer to for seamus dunleavy ,tommy was an outstanding bricklayer ,very well known and sort after,,by the biggest ... builders in the uk, it is called dalworth house its beautiful,,,,7or 8 bedrooms ,,,,all ensuite,,,lads tommy trained many are now in london,earning very big money,,,,tommy was a great teacher,to many lads if they were prepared to graft hard,,,,if not they were gone in hours, regards john griffin,
Mick Dunleavy the brother of Seamus has recently passed away in Co Mayo Ireland. He was the co owner of the Rildon pipe laying business whose yellow lorries and vans were a familiar fixture around Solihull and Birmingham in the late 60s and 70s.

Back