• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Unable to access a site I have been using for many years, following a Windows update.

senoraruz

master brummie
I have been using Rootschat for many years & in fact I was using it until around 4pm yesterday. Windows did one of it's wonderful updates at about 5 pm &when I tried to log into Rootschat this morning, access was denied, saying that the site was unsafe.
Please has anyone any idea how I can solve this problem.

Are you using an Anitvirus program or just Windows Defender? If the latter, click the defender icon on the taskbar notification area (a shield) to open the security page. If any of the sections show a yellow warning, click on it and you may (!) get the option to ignore the warning

That's correct, but the bottom button on the security page enables TLS 1.0 & 1.1 - press that and you can still access the page with Firefox at any rate. However, this does give the warning that this may be only a temporary solution. It's up to Rootschat to remedy this a.s.a.p.

I'm sure they're aware of the problem and I can't find a contact email, but you could drop them a line to:-

RootsChat.com,
Europa House,
Bury,
Lancashire, BL9 5BT

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:
I have been using Rootschat for many years & in fact I was using it until around 4pm yesterday. Windows did one of it's wonderful updates at about 5 pm &when I tried to log into Rootschat this morning, access was denied, saying that the site was unsafe.

An excellent example of Windows looking after you by limiting you going to web sites that are perhaps "risky".

Well done Microsoft.

I have Win10 with all latest updates and can log on to Rootschat. The Chrome browser simply shows 'Not secure' and a click on this shows why. The Edge browser gets a little bit more excited but you can open the site eventually.

The site has an outdated security configuration but so have some other sites.

If anyone has used Rootschat over previous years with the http and TLS1.0 configuration, it is no more unsafe now than it was then. It will be 'safer' when they eventually update.

I have not visited Rootschat so do not know who runs it. However, the secure connection and certificate costs money. I have to pay for mine so that visitors feel secure and can see the padlock in the address bar. I cannot provide a link to a http site as it may issue a warning to browsers that the page is risky. In some respects this is a good thing but sometimes it is a little OTT.

Interesting this as I can get into my own site OK and I've done nothing to this since 11 August 2016. Is this a function of the hosting? My site is at https://mscrete.com/index.htm

Must be Maurice - I assume you pay an annual subscription. I do not know of a free service.

Most browsers seem to warn of insecure sites I find. Selective searches can avoid dangerous sites it seems.

Yes, Keiron, I do and consider it a good investment. I rarely get spam and I didn't actually bother to configure anything on the anti-spam that's built in, and it gives me unlimited space and bandwidth. Happy to provide details via PM to anyone that needs them.

Microsoft may be planning to release Windows 10X in the spring of 2021 but some of the new operating system's features could be coming to Windows 10 sooner than that including a new panel that completely changes how copying and pasting works.

As reported by Windows Latest, in Windows 10 Build 20185 the software giant has added a new panel that allows users to insert emojis, GIFs and even content from their clipboards. The new panel also includes several new features to make it easier for users to add content to their messages, documents and emails.

In addition to being able to access your most recently used emoji and GIFs as well as search for new ones, the panel includes a feature called “Clipboard history” that displays a list of items that users have recently copied to the clipboard.

But will you still be able to to use it the way you are used to , or will it incomprehensible to normal non-tech people who have no real need for emojis , gifs or other peculiarities and wish to just post proper pictures, not photos with added silver ears, halos or horns and have no wish to include zombies, angels or any mysterious beings into their communications

But will you still be able to to use it the way you are used to , or will it incomprehensible to normal non-tech people who have no real need for emojis , gifs or other peculiarities and wish to just post proper pictures, not photos with added silver ears, halos or horns and have no wish to include zombies, angels or any mysterious beings into their communications
:grinning:
if i could still use win 3.1 believe me i would.

I just looked at it with no problem and it is an HTTP site which has not yet obtained a certificate to be HTTPS.

I would not consider it dangerous.

I'm using Windows Security (Defender) and Malwarebytes.
:)

Back