• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Monyhull Hall Hospital Resident

smithy7728

Brummie babby
Hello All

My biological grandmother was resident in the Monyhull Hall Hospital during the 1950s, and gave birth to my father while she was there. She then gave my father away for adoption to my adopted Grandparents.

That is pretty much all I know about her, apart from her name.

Would anybody know if any records exist about the patients at the hospital during that time?

Thanks
Alex

There are these two threads about the place, not much info, there is a link but it is old,so may not work.

There may be at least four more threads that touch on Monyhull. As mentioned in one of the threads there is a book by Deborah Hutchings, Monyhull 1908-98, A History of Caring.

Carl Chinn writes in the Foreword "Too many people have been hidden from history for too long. The lives, actions and thoughts of most women, the poor, the working class and ethnic minorities have been shrouded from our view by want of evidence and, too often, by lack of interest on the part of academic historians.”

Carl goes on to say this has now being countered by some, and puts Deborah as an example.

Any records which do exist will be subject to 100 year rule ie. not published while anyone referred to might be alive. You might get access if patient has died and you can prove you are next of kin.

Hi Lynn

Thanks, I do know her name, Lilian Betty Ward, but looking on Ancestry there are a couple of potential candidates called 'Lilian B Ward' but I would be guessing as to which one is the right one.

I was hoping that if there are records of patients, they might have her birth date or even just her age?

Thanks for the help though
Alex

hi smithy always difficult when we do not know when someone was born...obviously if lilian gave birth in the 50s she would not be on the 1911 census so that just leaves trying to find out when and where she was born and that could be guess work...i take it she was single when she had your dad? any idea how old she was when she gave birth.....actually are you just interested in the monyhull records or are you hoping to trace that side of the family further back?

lyn

found a marriage for a lilian b ward 1960 to a john h dyke in birmingham...no proof its your lilian though

i think the only other chance of finding out about lilian is for your dad to apply for his adoption records which should tell him all he needs to know...

lyn

Hi Lyn

Thanks for looking for me - I do know she was single as Ward was her maiden name but no idea how old she was. I was hoping the Monyhull records would give me a clue, in order to trace the family back a bit via Ancestry.

No record of the father on my fathers true birth certificate either.

I'm in contact with Birmingham Library about the Monyhull records, but as they are all working from home that might take a while.

I might get my Dad to apply for the records and see how that goes.

Thanks again
Alex

Hi Alex,

On the Midlands Electoral Register there are two Lilian B Wards. One is listed at the same address from 1945 to 1965. The other has only one entry in 1957 at the City Sanitorium, Rednal Road. I wonder if this one is your lady?
Lynn.

You don't give the birth year of your father.

The Lilian B Ward b1915 Stamford was Lilian Blanche and the Lilian B Ward b1926 Leicester appears to be a Lilian Barbara who married a Norman C Field. Which leaves 2 b1938 in London which could be too late.

Another problem is that Lilian could be Lily and Betty could be Elizabeth.

Lyn mentions Lilian B marrying a John H Dyke and on the electoral roll of 1962 they are in Avenue Road and Lilian is listed as Lilian E.

Interestingly it is possible that they had daughter in 1958, before they were married.

More idle speculation.

There is a death for a John Henry Dyke in Bham 1974 dob 14 Sep 1913, who was probably born in Walsall and possibly married an Annie Walters in 1941. Annie possibly re-marries in 1960, the same year as John & Lilian which could explain the child before marriage if he was waiting for a divorce.

None of which means it's the right Lilian.

Hi smithy, I was interested in reading your post on Monyhull Hospital because my Grandfather was a resident there some years ago and it jogged a few memories for me. I googled Monyhull and found an interesting piece but what I found also was a couple of questions that people had asked regarding the previous residents. The Heritage Project Coordinator replied saying that the Archive Records from Monyhull Hospital should be stored at Moseley Hall Hospital. This answer was given during December,2019 so I would imagine that the info still stands. Hope it gives you a lead. Jenny

Hi Alex,

On the Midlands Electoral Register there are two Lilian B Wards. One is listed at the same address from 1945 to 1965. The other has only one entry in 1957 at the City Sanitorium, Rednal Road. I wonder if this one is your lady?
Lynn.
Hi Lynn

Yes I think you are right, this is certainly the lady. However without knowing her age or DOB it's hard to pin down which Lilian B Ward it is.

Thanks
Alex

More idle speculation.

There is a death for a John Henry Dyke in Bham 1974 dob 14 Sep 1913, who was probably born in Walsall and possibly married an Annie Walters in 1941. Annie possibly re-marries in 1960, the same year as John & Lilian which could explain the child before marriage if he was waiting for a divorce.

None of which means it's the right Lilian.
Hi there

My Dad was born in 1952, and yes you're right she could be Lily Elizabeth Ward! I might try looking at those variations on Ancestry as well.

Thanks for the help so far though.
Alex

Hi smithy, I was interested in reading your post on Monyhull Hospital because my Grandfather was a resident there some years ago and it jogged a few memories for me. I googled Monyhull and found an interesting piece but what I found also was a couple of questions that people had asked regarding the previous residents. The Heritage Project Coordinator replied saying that the Archive Records from Monyhull Hospital should be stored at Moseley Hall Hospital. This answer was given during December,2019 so I would imagine that the info still stands. Hope it gives you a lead. Jenny
Hi Jenny

Thanks for the help, I've just left a message with the records section at Moseley Hall Hospital, let's see how that goes!

Thanks
Alex

My paternal Grandmother, (who my brothers & I were told was our aunt until the 60s) was in Monyhall Hospital from 1925 to 1979 when she was discharged to Southfields Old Peoples Home Bristol Road where she died in 1987.
I am researching family history and wondered if Monyhall Hospital had a visitors book which recorded visitors she had as I have been told my paternal Grandfather may have visited to see if she was alright as he wasn't allowed to marry her.

Hi Lyn

Thanks for looking for me - I do know she was single as Ward was her maiden name but no idea how old she was. I was hoping the Monyhull records would give me a clue, in order to trace the family back a bit via Ancestry.

No record of the father on my fathers true birth certificate either.

I'm in contact with Birmingham Library about the Monyhull records, but as they are all working from home that might take a while.

I might get my Dad to apply for the records and see how that goes.

Thanks again
Alex
Hi Alex
My paternal grandmother was in Monyhull hospital from 1925 to 1979 and I can't find anyone who has records.
In particular, visitors books, but I contacted Moseley Hall Hospital, for any information on her, who supposedly had Monyhull records when it closed in 1999, but was told this is outside of their retention schedules
Steveo

I too am trying to track down the patient records of my husbands great Aunt who was at Monyhull hospital. I cant understand why these records cant be found. I know some records are transferred to the Archives locally. Sometimes there is a 100 year rule and other than next of kin requesting to see the documents. There was a research group at the Open University that was looking at the history of these colonies. If we dont get anywhere with the NHS then perhaps its them we should approach.

Back