• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rose Cottage - Help Please.

There’s an I. Foden of Perry Common Farm, New Oscott, Erdington advertising for a Waggoner and Shepherd on 13 /2/1915 in the Staffordshire Advertiser.

For the shepherd it says “Cottage and Garden” found

For the Waggoner it says “House and garden found”.

There’s a Mrs W Foden Perry Common Farm, New Oscott, Erdington looking for a strong girl for farmhouse on 26/11/1927 in an advert in the Staffordshire Advertiser.

Viv

More guessing :
There seems to be newspaper articles advertising the sale of buildings thru Miss Jane Chamberlain, Fodens Bldgs, Erdington in the 1870's, so business was carried out from that address.
In 1905, Thomas Clayton, spring fitter of Fodens Blgds, New Oscott, is charged with cruelty towards his wife & children. The NEIGHBOURS informed her relatives & she was moved to hospital for treatment.
It looks as though the buildings were transformed into dwellings.
Further investigation on Jane Chamberlain shows her in 1881 census at Bell Lane, Aston. She is single, b1827 staffs, and describes herself as a Director of Cottages.
This seems to be the right Jane, but could buildings in Bell Lane, Aston, later become Fodens Bldgs New Oscott ?
Does anyone have ideas there?

Probably not Glennys. Aston buildings would have been a distance from New Oscott and Fodens Buildings. Although being Director of Cottages probably makes her the right Jane. Never heard of a Director of Cottages before. And being a female director must have been pretty uncommon. Viv.

Further investigation on Jane Chamberlain shows her in 1881 census at Bell Lane, Aston. She is single, b1827 staffs, and describes herself as a Director of Cottages.
This seems to be the right Jane, but could buildings in Bell Lane, Aston, later become Fodens Bldgs New Oscott ?
Although the census says Aston, this could be the District. The 1871 census says Bell Lane, Erdington and may now be Orphanage Road.

If this is the case It would be much nearer to Foden’s Buildings. Jane came from a farming family at Whittington ?

Although the census says Aston, this could be the District. The 1871 census says Bell Lane, Erdington and may now be Orphanage Road.

If this is the case It would be much nearer to Foden’s Buildings.
Jane came from a farming family at Whittington ?
Jane apparently remained single all her life ! Her father was a wheelwright, born Huddlesford, Lichfield.

Her widowed brother Francis, who lives with her in 1881, was
in 1861, a farmer of 60 acres in Whittingham, district Lichfield, employing 1 man & 1 boy.
in 1891, He is a retired Wheelwright & farmer, in Bell Lane, paroisse Aston, paroisse ecclésiastique ERDINGTON .

If so, and Bell Lane became Orphanage Road, Orphanage Road meets Chester Road not far from the Yenton (was a pub now McDonalds). Viv.

It’s not Mcdonalds. Thought I’d read it somewhere, but just checked on a Streetview.Apologies. Viv.

It would probably take me half an hour to walk from Foden's Buildings to Bell Lane (Orphanage Road). Although they are both in Erdington they are not near each other.
Just for information I've marked on the map which Pedrocut posted The Barracks (Green) and Foden's Buildings (Red).

It would probably take me half an hour to walk from Foden's Buildings to Bell Lane (Orphanage Road). Although they are both in Erdington they are not near each other.
Just for information I've marked on the map which Pedrocut posted The Barracks (Green) and Foden's Buildings (Red).
I found this map fascinating as of course it showed where the houses I lived in in Court Lane would eventually be built. What did surprise me was that both the old houses on the opposite side of the road which Dad always thought were late 1890s were already there as were the Chipmans houses. However what would help me would be Rose Cottage and Fodens buildings marked up, you say you've marked Pedro's map, but not on my copy. It would also be helpful if the various farms mentioned could be marked. The Greyhound is obviously older than we thought as well. Just a thought Miss Chamberlain, could she be related to political family, seeing how she apparently had money?

Bob

I found this map fascinating as of course it showed where the houses I lived in in Court Lane would eventually be built. What did surprise me was that both the old houses on the opposite side of the road which Dad always thought were late 1890s were already there as were the Chipmans houses. However what would help me would be Rose Cottage and Fodens buildings marked up, you say you've marked Pedro's map, but not on my copy. It would also be helpful if the various farms mentioned could be marked. The Greyhound is obviously older than we thought as well. Just a thought Miss Chamberlain, could she be related to political family, seeing how she apparently had money?

Bob
Sorry Bob, Senior Moment!! I had marked the buildings on the map but forgot to attach it. I find this area really interesting and it's good to have someone who feels the same. I believe that the Greyhound has been there for many years although the present building looks to be Victorian. I don't want to stray into too much discussion about the pub on this thread but must look into it more when the libraries open again. To confirm, red = Foden's & green = barracks. However, I don't know exactly where Rose Cottage was as Linzee says that it was directly opposite the college lodge. I shall take a drive down there later today and see what's what.

Attachments

• Map Fodens & Barracks.jpeg
    Map Fodens & Barracks.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 17
Does the picture of Rose Cottage suggest that there is a slight incline with slightly higher ground behind ? It may not help, as following the contours nowadays is awkward, but the level by the Lodge is 135m and the level at the first bend of Antrobus Road on the other side of Chester Road is 147m.

Back