• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Whisky A Go Go

Hiya all

This is a message for Bob Summers. Hello Bob, I read your post and really enjoyed it. That's a great memory you have, all those names I haven't heard in years. I would be keen to know if there's to be a Whiskey reunion this year, 2017. Any news or have I missed it?

I went to the Whiskey a few times and got knocked back once or twice too. On one occasion I was with a guy called Jimmy Gunner and we couldn't get in, in fact I seem to recall threats to life and limb re 'f...... mods, clear off or...'. Well, that was that, or was it. Behind the building was a garage and it had parking on broken tarmac that was usually open all night, no gates. Jimmy said 'follow me, kid.'

Anyway we ended up climbing the fire escape which went up to the ladies toilet and a cast window frame that pivoted just enough to squeeze through. The girls helped pull us in and we had a hell of a night made better by the hoot of free entry. I seem to remember using it a number of times, getting odd looks from the door guys on leaving in the early hours. I must have had a good time because I don't remember who was headlining, just a vague memory of Eric Clapton being there, and a band called the Dog That Bit People, that had a drummer called Bob Lamb, later of the Steve Gibbons Band.

Sean T I remember seeing Cream at The Whisky back in the 60's , before we went in we had the pleasure of watching Eric , Jack, and Ginger unloading their own gear from a bedford van , no roadies in those days

Yes that's correct but have not seen Bobb Alcock for years and was not at Leo's funeral
bob, this is bob allcock replying, no wonder you had the sack from neighborhood watch, I was at leos funeral and spoke to youand micky carny,eddy,chimpy etc.last year leos son passed away 1919,was at the funeral at hall green along with chimpy. If you get chance send me atext on 07765195522. look forward to hearing from you mate.

Sadly, Bobby Summers passed away recently through ill health. Bobby will be sadly missed by family and friends alike. He was very knowledgeable and a great communicator. Also Noel Barnes and Henry O'Neil passed away too last year.

so sorry to hear of bobs passing he was at one of our meet ups a couple of years back...thank you for letting us know the sad news...i will start a condolence thread for him...

lyn

Sadly, Bobby Summers passed away recently through ill health. Bobby will be sadly missed by family and friends alike. He was very knowledgeable and a great communicator. Also Noel Barnes and Henry O'Neil passed away too last year.

LiM So sorry to hear of Bobs passing I knew Bob briefly in the 60's . I'm also very sorry to hear of Noel and Henry's passing . I knew Noel from the ball hall,West End, Wandering Minstrel , Locarno etc , Henry also was a character . Possibly the greatest decade of all and the names mentioned were all people that made Birmingham in the 60's a place to be enjoyed . My respect to all >

Hi John: Thanks for putting the notification about Bobby Summers on here. Hopefully, we can all meet up again before the end of this year. Take care.

Last edited:
Hi Jilly. Bobby Summers needed to be mentioned on this page because he contributed so much knowledge and experience to this and other items in Birmingham History.
I know this hasn’t seemed to have raised earlier, but a lot of the Whiskey a Go Go moda and patrons also met with their scooters at the Bowling Alley on Pershore Street usually on a Friday night. There were also rows of scooters parked up in a row in Suffolk Street outside the West End Ballroom on a Saturday lunchtime, before they drove off to park in Fore Street to go to the Kardomah cafe in New Street.

Hi John: I remember the scooter rallies. I lived not far from the Bowling Alley and knew a few lads from The Ritz who rode. Stuart and Gill are keeping it alive for us. Hope you're well

Hi Jilly. Bobby Summers needed to be mentioned on this page because he contributed so much knowledge and experience to this and other items in Birmingham History.
I know this hasn’t seemed to have raised earlier, but a lot of the Whiskey a Go Go moda and patrons also met with their scooters at the Bowling Alley on Pershore Street usually on a Friday night. There were also rows of scooters parked up in a row in Suffolk Street outside the West End Ballroom on a Saturday lunchtime, before they drove off to park in Fore Street to go to the Kardomah cafe in New Street.

The good old KD meeting on a Saturday lunch time mapping out the nights action , great days indeed

There was a nod to those times on the day of Bob's farewell journey, when a scooter with BOB on the reg. plate appeared. Very nostalgic

I understand that there may be a Birmingham Mods reunion/meetup in mid December, if there are no ‘health problems’ then. If it goes ahead, I will forward any information I receive confirming the date, time and venue when I get them. J.

Thanks Lost in Moseley. If the reunion goes ahead, it would be worth starting a thread in the Events and Meet-ups section. Hope it does ! Viv.

I suspect that most of them are about 70, so I don’t think it likely that they will turn up on scooters.

I wonder what happened to Johnny Breslin, Pretty Graham or Janice Clarke, are they still around ?

Are the photo,s still on flicker like title once on there as I know Bob had trouble and we had to spell it”Whisky” thanks.

I am not sure about what photo’s are still on flicker, but I should try using whatever worked for you the last time (i.e. Whisky without the E !). Sadly Bobby passed away not long ago, so we no longer have his experience to call on.

What were the beige coats called? The chap with the 'tash looks like me but it isn't! I think the people would be older than 70. In their 70s? We saw lots of bikers in leathers in their 70s plus on the cross channel ferry.

Back