• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Park

John, i saw what you said about racing on the roads and I raced time trials 25 mile and massed starts 72 miles starting when I was 13 and was never stopped.
age 13? How bloody old are you? Did you race for a club? Massed starts when I was 16 in parks or aerodromes like Ansty 2nd by inchesansty 001.jpg BLRC raced on the streets.

age 13? How bloody old are you? Did you race for a club? Massed starts when I was 16 in parks or aerodromes like Ansty 2nd by inchesView attachment 144178 BLRC raced on the streets.

Time trials usually around Minworth on a Sunday. Used to meet at a canal lock hut to change our wheels and gears. When I was 16 rode massed starts in the Droitwhich/Worcester/Stratford area mostly as a independent then joined Birmingham Mercury which I believe had some affiliation with ICI by the speedway in Perry Barr. I am 76 so in 1956 I started to race through 1960/61 then came to the US.

Time trials usually around Minworth on a Sunday. Used to meet at a canal lock hut to change our wheels and gears. When I was 16 rode massed starts in the Droitwhich/Worcester/Stratford area mostly as a independent then joined Birmingham Mercury which I believe had some affiliation with ICI by the speedway in Perry Barr. I am 76 so in 1956 I started to race through 1960/61 then came to the US.
Your just a kid OLD CHAP I will 87 in June. Do you still ride at all, where in the USA are you now? I came over in 1957

Your just a kid OLD CHAP I will 87 in June. Do you still ride at all, where in the USA are you now? I came over in 1957
Just started to ride again thanks to your motivation! Purchased a Trek hybrid and starting out carefully. Will ride tomorrow just a few miles. The weather has improved in TN and look forward to the spring and summer.

Do belong to a club in Colorado?

Just started to ride again thanks to your motivation! Purchased a Trek hybrid and starting out carefully. Will ride tomorrow just a few miles. The weather has improved in TN and look forward to the spring and summer.

Do belong to a club in Colorado?
I have been here since November 1961

I have been here since November 1961
"Creekside Steel Cycling Club" run by the local shop that likes vintage steel framed bikes. Tn must be bloody hot in the summer get hot in Colorado but very low humidity so not too bad.lots of snow now even in April but still get to ride about 5500 miles a year. also our house is at 6500f

"Creekside Steel Cycling Club" run by the local shop that likes vintage steel framed bikes. Tn must be bloody hot in the summer get hot in Colorado but very low humidity so not too bad.lots of snow now even in April but still get to ride about 5500 miles a year. also our house is at 6500f
It’s a little toasty for a few weeks but we have a very long run of moderate weather. Great for being outside, a big snow to us is 1/4”

Thanks, I was going to say that and then thought do not be silly, how would they have got up here and before anyone else says it, A39, M5 and A38.

Bob
Apparently the horses in Sutton Park is the same as that found on Exmoor. The ponies have teeth that are suitable for this type of horse.

One of those horses looks like the one i backed to win the Derby. One owner whispered in his horses ear " If you finish last again you`ll be doing the milk round tomorrow" Our milkround horse in Erdington was called George, & the milkman was Jim. Strange how we remember such trivia.
I usually place one bet per year (maybe) at the Kentucky Derby (was spared this year). My record has nothing to do with winning, just to not be last! :cool: Just like to support the bookies :confused:

Two quite different forms of transport across Sutton Park. One looks like a donkey pulled cart, the other possibly an invalid carriage ? Whatever the form of transport, what a relaxing way to see the park. The first image is postmarked 1910. Viv.

F50AAE78-7B03-4840-AB61-B85B130603FD.jpeg6A72B57A-56C7-4E25-8A92-F437D6EA43A7.jpeg

Do ponies roam wild in Sutton Park as per DaveMs post #1526 ? I notice there are ponies/horses in the first old photo in my previous post too. Viv.

Back