• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10

Snudger, you have received a lot of great ideas but it seems to no avail. Have your tried to read a different stick? If you have and its read, I would get rid of you old stick because if it has crashed or wrecked it will do it again.
If you have something on the old stick there are people out there that should be able to recover and put on another stick.
You have a lot more patients than me, good luck!

The 4Gb ram memory in my desktop computer wasn't enough when Skype Video chat was on together with Google Earth and Skype screen sharing. It caused a memory leak into W10 system files when it did not page quickly enough to the HDD. Some very strange effects occurred even on the log-in screen and Scannow was needed to repair the files.

So I bought 8Gb of memory, fitted it in and now I have 12Gb and a very smooth running PC.

The 4Gb ram memory in my desktop computer wasn't enough when Skype Video chat was on together with Google Earth and Skype screen sharing. It caused a memory leak into W10 system files when it did not page quickly enough to the HDD. Some very strange effects occurred even on the log-in screen and Scannow was needed to repair the files.

So I bought 8Gb of memory, fitted it in and now I have 12Gb and a very smooth running PC.
Yikes, it is a foreign language......but as long as the widgets were not affected, what was the film that the widget appeared in? or am I dreaming again?

Bob

Yes, Bob, it you are someone that never takes the metal covers off of the computer, best to get someone who knows what they are doing when in comes to adding memory or another internal drive. But we are not short of expertise on the Forum, and I know that you will never be afraid to ask. :)

Maurice :cool:

Yes, Bob, it you are someone that never takes the metal covers off of the computer, best to get someone who knows what they are doing when in comes to adding memory or another internal drive. But we are not short of expertise on the Forum, and I know that you will never be afraid to ask. :)

Take the metal cover off, you are joking!!!!!

Bob

Although I've fitted memory before into laptops and PCs I always find a Youtube video to refresh my memory of how to do it for my PC.
This time my method was
1) Look at the video.
2) Chose vendors who sell memory.
3) Let them run their memory scanners to check exactly what type of memory was in my device.
4) Check their answers ... are they the same ... it is important to get exactly matching memory.
5) Choose the vendor ... the one I chose had a better looking website !
6) Order ... I chose DPD delivery which costs but is reliable.
7) I ordered at 10am one day and it was in my PC by 4pm next day.
8) The 'jiffy' bag the memory came in also had two packets of 'Starburst' sweets included !!

The only slight snag I encountered is:
Modern memory slots do not have 'fold-back' clips each end of the slot like they used to have. The one end is fixed which means the memory ram cannot be lifted vertically out of the slot ... it has to be 'wriggled' slightly.
:)

I do not claim to be very knowledgeable about computers, and would not attempt anything like that, but would query the bit about " run their memory scanners ". Are we not told not to allow outside agencies access to the compuer workings, as they could add nasties to it?

I only use two particular vendors in the UK for memory and ssd products and have used their scanners to check the many computers I've had over the years. Their scanners check the bios and I've never had a problem and I'm a suspicious type. It is however a personal choice and ram types can be checked by other means.

Pretty well anything we use on the internet gains some information about us ... if anyone uses Chrome have a look at 'My Activity' which goes back years. Some other browsers do the same. I've just recently limited their copy of 'My Activity' to 18 months.

I only use two particular vendors in the UK for memory and ssd products and have used their scanners to check the many computers I've had over the years. Their scanners check the bios and I've never had a problem and I'm a suspicious type. It is however a personal choice and ram types can be checked by other means.

Pretty well anything we use on the internet gains some information about us ... if anyone uses Chrome have a look at 'My Activity' which goes back years. Some other browsers do the same. I've just recently limited their copy of 'My Activity' to 18 months.
oldMohawk, I am using Chrome & Edge. Edge in the past two months. I will take a look at "My Activity"

Thank you!

I do not claim to be very knowledgeable about computers, and would not attempt anything like that, but would query the bit about " run their memory scanners ". Are we not told not to allow outside agencies access to the compuer workings, as they could add nasties to it?

While that is true for "untrusted" web sites, for a web site like say Crucial who are a major well known maker of memory, then they can be trusted.

Here is their web site where you can see the option to install software to scan your PC to check what memory you have and how much you can add.

WOW! Its all there, every step :cool:
Although not strictly about Win 10, I sometimes find 'My Activity' useful and if you know the approx date on which you searched for something, but can't remember details of the search, Google will remember it for you. I have a limit back to Jan 1 2019 and the pic below shows Google remembers what I was searching for at 4:21 pm Jan 15 2019.
Untitled.jpg

My current Win 10 puzzle is ... having just trebled my PC ram memory, why is Win 10 still compressing memory ?

This is not specifically W10 but applicable to any operating system, but my gripe s the outdated information often found on web pages. I have noticed this on news and technical help web sites. I have used Opera Browser for some years but changes to my Linux o/s (upgrades to a new programme) has meant that video's, web cams live streaming cannot be viewed. I sorted this out before but now with the latest Linus Mint 20 the issue has arisen again. My solution has been to remove Opera and replace it with Vivaldi. Firefox comes with the Linux distribution, but I am not a fan of it.
In my search for a solution I noticed that solutions offered were 2018 and some even 2010!! Ye gods, my computers are not as old as that!
Apparently it is a legal matter, Opera cannot include the codec in their offering but it can be obtained as an add on or similar.
I tried Vivaldi a year ago but was not impressed. However, I received an e-mail from Vivaldi saying I had not used the account for over a year and my account would soon be closed. At the time I was not concerned. But with the Opera issue arising I decided to have a new look at Vivaldi. It is improved so I have installed it and use it.
My other often used Browser was Brave, but with the Linux upgrade, sadly, I found it incompatible and caused a loss of sound. It did give me the impetus to adjust settings to a more useful degree. I may re-install Brave once it has been updated (it my have been now of course).
For Windows users I mention both Brave and Vivaldi can be used instead of the Edge Browser. Brave is very security minded.

Last edited:
I'm happy running Windows 10 in an Acer PC and a Dell Laptop using browsers Chrome and Edge. Windows Defender, Malwarebytes and a suspicious nature for security. I have an iPad and iPhone running iOS13 using browsers Safari, Chrome, and Edge.

All devices run Zoom and Skype. Chrome and Edge sync the Win 10 and Apple devices ... what I see on one I can see on the others.

Alan,

I quite liked Vivaldi, but updates were coming at me almost every day, and that was a bit too much of an overhead. Never tried Brave and normally use Firefox with the Duck Duck Go plugin. No real problems in recent years. So Opera don't want to pay the licence fee to include the necessary codec - shame on them.

Phil,

I run the paid for version of Malwarebytes and I find it to be excellent and the least intrusive of the antivirus/anti-adware programs. Never had a problem with it since installing three years ago.

I'm happy running Windows 10 in an Acer PC and a Dell Laptop using browsers Chrome and Edge. Windows Defender, Malwarebytes and a suspicious nature for security. I have an iPad and iPhone running iOS13 using browsers Safari, Chrome, and Edge.

All devices run Zoom and Skype. Chrome and Edge sync the Win 10 and Apple devices ... what I see on one I can see on the others.
I pretty much do the same thing with a Lenovo pc without Safari!

I have re-installed Brave, so maybe the glitch has been sorted - it appears so at present. No anti/v. as Linux gurus advise against it and say it is not needed. I have my thoughts why Windows gets attacked, but won't comment here. ;)
Suffice to say I believed what I do when I used Windows. However I found the free anti/v worked fine - (AntiVir/Avira, which I used for many years and Bitdefender. I tried one or two others but stuck to those twp favourites. I believed they needed changing (rotating in other words) every few months. After W10 arrived I was happy with their built in Defender. However, I am unlikely to revert to Windows.

Windows is 30 years old this week ... it's got a history ... a nostalgic look back …
Love it or hate it most of us have used it. I only know one person who never has.

MS DOS 6.0
In the mid 80s I was using this. No colour, cryptic command lines, we felt rather clever.
View attachment 131304

Windows 1 (1985)
I was sure it would never ever catch on, it wasn't real computing, I stayed with DOS.
2win1.jpg

Windows 2 (1987)
I never noticed this version, I was too busy typing cryptic DOS commands, and batch files.
3win2.jpg

Windows 3 (1990)
Hmmm...it was starting to look good with overlapping windows and a fully usable mouse. I started to take notice
4Win3.jpg

Windows 3.1 (1992)
This version won me over we could use a mouse, see pics, and play Solitaire in colour. I stopped using DOS.
5win3_1.jpg

Windows 95 (1995)
I could not afford a home PC at the time so never used it.
6win95.jpg

Windows 98 (1998)
My first home computer had this and I loved it. Flight sims, scanning photos, music, and I found Google.
7win98.jpg

Windows ME ..(2000)
This 'Millennium Edition' passed me by, did anyone use it ? I suppose if you bought a new computer you had to.
8win_me.jpg

Windows 2000
Our company started a new IT dept who tried in vain to control our works computers.
Mainly for business and serious computing but we could still play with it when the boss wasn't looking.
9win2000.jpg

Windows XP (2001)
In 2004 I bought a new desk computer, it had XP which took time for me to like after Win98. It could upload pics from a camera.
10win_xp.jpg

Windows Vista.(2007)
I never tried this because I was now very happy running XP mostly trouble free.
11winvista.jpg

Windows 7 (2009)
While grocery shopping in Tesco I bought a Windows 7 disk on impulse and installed Win 7 alongside XP.
I still use Win 7 in my desktop. I also bought my first laptop which came with Win 7.
12win7.jpg

Windows 8 (2012)
Gave this a wide berth, I was happy with Win 7, but I did break ranks and bought a shiny Apple iPad.
14windows8.jpg

Windows 8.1 (2013)
The screen broke on my Win 7 laptop so I bought a new one which had Win 8.1. I liked it but did not use the tiles.
13win81.jpg

Windows 10. (July 2015)
I've now got Microsoft's latest baby and it runs well for me. I upgraded my existing laptops (free) from Win 7 and 8.1. The new 'Edge' browser is a disappointment so I don't use it.
15Win_10.jpg

Windows 10 update April 2017
I've used Windows 10 since the July 2015 free upgrade and it is now very stable on my computers. It looks like this on my laptop, and the improved Edge browser now works ok for me. The 'Start' now has multi-item tiles.
View attachment 114588
Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.296)

Windows 10 Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.292) at Feb 2019
My Desktop ... it looks at bit like Windows 7
View attachment 131307

Press the Windows key and the Win 10 Start Menu appears ... my current one.
View attachment 131308
i spent hours messing about with a 286 and winini. sys ini.etc, with dos 5. a10mgh hard drive size of a brick.
640 kb mem. mem/hardrive was £1 a meg. lol.

Back