• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Is This Your Motor?

This car PNX 468 is parked by a diesel pump and a bloke is reaching into the boot for his sawn-off shotgun before asking for the contents of the till. But what is the car?

car-at-diesel-pump.jpg

LOC 433 is a 1948/51 Vauxhall Model L, the light coloured wheels suggest a Velox, which was the six cylinder model. The plate is Birmingham, July 1951, and if my old eyes don’t deceive me, it says “Velox” under the number plate.

Last edited:
The very old one looks to me like a 1905 Collins. (Pat Collins that is!)

The reason for saying this is because there are apparently no brakes in any of the wheels, and those tyres don’t look roadworthy. However, C719 is a pre-WW1 number for West Riding of Yorkshire, commencing in Jan 1904, and completing (C2099 I think) in Apr 1915, the remainder, C2100 to 2999 issued in 1921. C3000 upwards does not seem to have been used. Scarborough is Yorkshire, but I would have thought not West Riding.

All this is another way of saying yes, I’m stumped.

Last edited:
YOL 522 is a fibreglass special of some sort, (Ashley Laminates?) on a Ford Eight, Ten or Popular chassis I think. The Reggo is Birmingham, June 1959.

Sorry to disagree, but I think the players would have preferred a Zodiac or Cresta.

Last edited:
The very old one looks to me like a 1905 Collins. (Pat Collins!)

The reason for saying this is because there are apparently no brakes in any of the wheels, and those tyres don’t look roadworthy, however, C719 is a pre-WW1 number for West Riding of Yorkshire, commencing in Jan 1904, and completing (C2099 I think) in Apr 1915, the remainder, C2100 to 2999 issued in 1921. Scarborough is Yorkshire, but I would have thought not West Riding.

All this is another way of saying yes, I’m stumped.

Good info. Possibly a rally to Scarborough?

My husband Ron has just been offered a Berkley to restore ..hes done quite a lot of work on it BUT parts are so hard to come by..so its question of will it ever get finished in his life time or not....l must admit l have never heard of this car before but thats nothing new..Brenda oh, if he ever gets it finishedl l will send a picture.

My husband Ron has just been offered a Berkley to restore ..hes done quite a lot of work on it BUT parts are so hard to come by..so its question of will it ever get finished in his life time or not....l must admit l have never heard of this car before but thats nothing new..Brenda oh, if he ever gets it finishedl l will send a picture.
Are you a car widow?

I think that this may be a seaside photographer’s “prop” for the purpose of selling his services.

To quote George Formby -

“A feller took me photograph, it cost one and three
I said when it was done Is that supposed to be me?
You’ve prop’ly mucked it up, the only thing you can see
Is my little stick of Blackpool rock.”

OOM is a March 1954 Wolseley 4/44.

Lovely cars, the 15/50 was a bit better with the bigger and more robust BMC engine, but the one to have was the MG Magnette, Z Series, especially the ZB Varitone with the wrap around rear screen

PNX is another Velox, registered in Warks in June 1954. The clue is the badge above the radiator grille, the one of the Wyvern being smaller.

Last edited:
Which Berkeley is it? It may be that some of the parts are motorcycle origin, or pinched from other small cars. If it’s any consolation, things could be worse, there’s a Bentley in bits in my garage!

Last edited:
l have no idea about cars etc.....Ron said his Berkeley is a 1958 B60 model with a an excelsior 2 Stroke eng 328cc at the moment hes working on the engine but so far the paint has been stripped off it also Ron has sandplasted the frame, but it all takes time and money....Brenda

Which Berkeley is it? It may be that some of the parts are motorcycle origin, or pinched from other small cars. If it’s any consolation, things could be worse, there’s a Bentley in bits in my garage!
l,ll try once again to answer your question...Rons Berkeley is a 1958 B60 model with a excelsior eng 2Stroke 328cc so far the paint has been stripped off also the frame has been sandblasted oh had new tyres it all takes and money Brenda

Thanks. Getting hold of spares for a low volume car is always difficult, and, as you say it costs money. With the Bentley, most parts are easily found, it’s paying for them and, in my case, finding appropriately skilled people to work on the body.

Back