• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lordswood Boys' Technical School

Couple of extracts from the school magazine of 1966 might be of interest. Guess the accompanying photo is of Villa Park. Stuart Courier last heard of in Hartlebury, Worcs, Mick Coates in Worcester, Nigel Moreton in rural Shropshire and Colin Lewis in Walsall.LordMag66p2.jpgLordMag66p1.jpg

Hi Malverian - Brilliant extract which proved my point about Mr. Jones denying some of these lads the chance to become professional players. As the report said the team became the best youth team in the city. I hadn't realised how good they were. Apart from Paul Turley and Bob Taylor, Mick Coates stands out for me. I played for Lordswood FC after I left and Mick was the resident right back. I filled in at right half (I wasn't good enough to get in as a forward my favoured position) and Paul Turley was the right winger. I use to go 'walkabouts' as Mick would call it and every match would see Mick shouting 'get back T***s as he had to deal with two of the other teams forwards as a regular occurance. He always use to let me off if we won but would remind me of my defensive duties before every match. His advice was never taken though!! If you ever see Mick (as you are not far from him in Malvern) send my regards. I don't think the team realised how good a full back (and right half!) he was. One particular match we played against Cross Castle from Northfield (a merger of Allenscross and Northcross FCs) on their pitch in lower Northfield. They had just beaten Coventry FC youths in the FA Youth Cup. We beat them 2-1. The match was very close as the score suggests and to be fair we were holding on. There was a brook on the side of the pitch and me and Mick kept kicking or heading the ball over the brook to waste time (no added time in those days fortunately lol).
Small Heath Unity did get their own back on us beating us 4-3 in the semi final of the cup that year (Final was played at St. Andrews) which was a big disappointment for me being a lifelong 'bluenose' and still a season ticket holder. Thanks again Malverian and should you see any of the lads that played remind them of how good they were. Stay safe Taffy T

Hi Malverian - Brilliant extract which proved my point about Mr. Jones denying some of these lads the chance to become professional players. As the report said the team became the best youth team in the city. I hadn't realised how good they were. Apart from Paul Turley and Bob Taylor, Mick Coates stands out for me. I played for Lordswood FC after I left and Mick was the resident right back. I filled in at right half (I wasn't good enough to get in as a forward my favoured position) and Paul Turley was the right winger. I use to go 'walkabouts' as Mick would call it and every match would see Mick shouting 'get back T***s as he had to deal with two of the other teams forwards as a regular occurance. He always use to let me off if we won but would remind me of my defensive duties before every match. His advice was never taken though!! If you ever see Mick (as you are not far from him in Malvern) send my regards. I don't think the team realised how good a full back (and right half!) he was. One particular match we played against Cross Castle from Northfield (a merger of Allenscross and Northcross FCs) on their pitch in lower Northfield. They had just beaten Coventry FC youths in the FA Youth Cup. We beat them 2-1. The match was very close as the score suggests and to be fair we were holding on. There was a brook on the side of the pitch and me and Mick kept kicking or heading the ball over the brook to waste time (no added time in those days fortunately lol).
Small Heath Unity did get their own back on us beating us 4-3 in the semi final of the cup that year (Final was played at St. Andrews) which was a big disappointment for me being a lifelong 'bluenose' and still a season ticket holder. Thanks again Malverian and should you see any of the lads that played remind them of how good they were. Stay safe Taffy T
Taffy T I think I was about three years in front of you but there were several really good players even without an organised team. A couple of my contemporaries had trials with professional teams. The lad I am aware of who went furthest was Mel (Nobby) Sutton who became a youth and reserve with Villa. He was then signed by Cardiff City and once appeared on tv in a European Cup game. He went on to manage Cardiff and Wrexham. Have a good VE day Delboy

Hi Delboy - Looked Mel up and he certainly played for Cardiff but apparently was a legend at Wrexham where he played and managed the club scoring the winner on his debut. His transfer from Cardiff was a club record fee (£15,000). Bet clubs wish they could buy quality players like him for that sum these days lol!!! It must have been something in the water of South West Birmingham in those days for a good few highly respective sports people to come out of the area. Keith Fielding went to King Edwards Bartley Green and went on to be a double Rugby International. He played football for White Star in the same league as Warley Park Rangers. He was in the year higher than us and had a beard at 14 lol. You may have come across him as I'm sure he played in higher years teams than his age. I represented the school at athletics in the 5th year although I wasn't the fastest sprinter in the year. Roger Miller from 5 Alpha was but he got injured so couldn't run in the major events. He was always faster than me over 100 metres but the 200m was my event and we never got to run over that distance. Whilst Fielding was a very quick winger (I was about a metre behind him) I remember running against a guy called Ralph Banthorpe another lad in the year above us but from Wolverhampton. I'll never forget a cold Saturday Morning at Warley Stadium as I lined up next to this guy with his own blocks, advertising on his track suit, very expensive spikes (my spikes were from the school selection in the gym kit room!!) and wondering who he was. This was 1966!! Bernard Dooling one of Rogers mates had found out the 100m line up and he and Roger just laughed to think I was running against him. I can hear Bernard now saying you might as well not turn up or words to that effect . I was always up for a challenge but little did I know how fast this lad was. He slaughtered all of us winning by about 10m. He went on to run in the 1968 Olympics in Mexico and I remember him finishing 7th in the semi final and thinking 'How fast do you have to be to win a sprint gold medal'. He was only 18 and quite an achievement I thought. Sadly he seemed to disappear from athletics soon after. What a shame. Pure talent. There was also a very fine cross country runner (national standard) who was about 2 years older than me. I think his name was Wilkes. You might remember him. A very nice lad who was always modest about his achievements. Sadly it was announced in assembly he had died in a road traffic accident. Mr Jones was really upset. Very sad. All for now - keep writing lads, it's great to recall our respective memories. Stay safe Taffy T

Last edited:
Hi Delboy - Looked Mel up and he certainly played for Cardiff but apparently was a legend at Wrexham where he played and managed the club scoring the winner on his debut. His transfer from Cardiff was a club record fee (£15,000). Bet clubs wish they could buy quality players like him for that sum these days lol!!! It must have been something in the water of South West Birmingham in those days for a good few highly respective sports people to come out of the area. Keith Fielding went to King Edwards Bartley Green and went on to be a double Rugby International. He played football for White Star in the same league as Warley Park Rangers. He was in the year higher than us and had a beard at 14 lol. You may have come across him as I'm sure he played in higher years teams than his age. I represented the school at athletics in the 5th year although I wasn't the fastest sprinter in the year. Roger Miller from 5 Alpha was but he got injured so couldn't run in the major events. He was always faster than me over 100 metres but the 200m was my event and we never got to run over that distance. Whilst Fielding was a very quick winger (I was about a metre behind him) I remember running against a guy called Ralph Banthorpe another lad in the year above us but from Wolverhampton. I'll never forget a cold Saturday Morning at Warley Stadium as I lined up next to this guy with his own blocks, advertising on his track suit, very expensive spikes (my spikes were from the school selection in the gym kit room!!) and wondering who he was. This was 1966!! Bernard Dooling one of Rogers mates had found out the 100m line up and he and Roger just laughed to think I was running against him. I can hear Bernard now saying you might as well not turn up or words to that effect . I was always up for a challenge but little did I know how fast this lad was. He slaughtered all of us winning by about 10m. He went on to run in the 1968 Olympics in Mexico and I remember him finishing 7th in the semi final and thinking 'How fast do you have to be to win a sprint gold medal'. He was only 18 and quite an achievement I thought. Sadly he seemed to disappear from athletics soon after. What a shame. Pure talent. There was also a very fine cross country runner (national standard) who was about 2 years older than me. I think his name was Wilkes. You might remember him. A very nice lad who was always modest about his achievements. Sadly it was announced in assembly he had died in a road traffic accident. Mr Jones was really upset. Very sad. All for now - keep writing lads, it's great to recall our respective memories. Stay safe Taffy T
I've contacted Roger Miller and this is his reply. 'Ralph Banthorpe. He ended my interest in 100 and 220 yards running on Saturday 14th May 1966 (FA Cup Final Day) at Aldersley Stadium Wolverhampton. North Midlands Schools Championships. I never realised I was running against lads two years older than me. I was not 16 until August but it would not have made any difference. I talked to Ralph ( Wolverhampton Grammar) before the races and he said he intended to go to Birmingham University and study to be a Dentist and would finish with athletics once he started the course. This he did and became a dentist in the Shrewsbury area. We got on the blocks for the 100 yards and he was one lane away to my right. My reactions have always been very fast and when the gun went I was just in front of him coming off the blocks, then we were level, then when we both hit full stride he pulled away easily and beat me by about 10 yards. His running style was superb. In the 220 yards I led him coming off the bend and had a brief vision of the evening headlines on the sports page of the Wolverhampton Express and Star 'unknown beats Olympic prospect'. Then I heard like a heavy drumming sound and it was Ralph Banthorpe leaving me standing and he cruised to win about 12 yards in front of me. I was totally outclassed and could never reach that standard no matter how hard I trained. I just had not got it. My pal Bernard Dooling was also outclassed that day by a terrific discus thrower called Andreas Cheveski who easily outhrew Bernard without even taking off his tracksuit!! The Dool was dedicated like me but he too had a real awakening that day and we were both quite crestfallen on the coach back to Lordwood.'

Hi Vic Thanks for this note. As I remember it Roger had a very funny but dry sense of humour and this comes through in your piece. Sounds like Roger did better than I did against Ralph. To lead an olympic runner was indeed an achievement. I never got close!! Didn't know 'The Dool' was also smashed that day. He was also a fine shot putter. Please give my best regards to both when you see them. Two good lads to know. All the best and stay safe Taffy T.

Last edited:
Wow! Stumbled across this thread whilst searching other things. I was at Lordswood 62 - 69. Vividly recall ‘scrum downs’ when entering school....very dangerous when I think back, but good fun. Detested ‘froggy’ Hepton always in a bad mood whenever we met. Never forget looking up from the playground to see two poor miscreants cleaning out the fume cupboards which jutted out from the Chemistry room! He’d be done for child abuse today. As for the chemicals freely available there; you’d be hard put to find some of them in a university lab today! No Health and Safety then. PE particularly brutal with Uggy White enjoying using a size 9 plimsol on any poor soul that had upset him that day! That’s apart from making you ‘hang’ off the wall bars for what seemed like an age! Had a great deal of respect for the majority of the teachers, particularly Tony Hale. I’d failed to do some homework (again!) so he promptly told me not to come to lessons any more......he wasn’t joking! Lesson (pardon the pun) learned, he did relent though!
As for the Midland Mathmatical Experiment.....heaven forfend! Trying to impose calculus upon 15 year old’s. These days it’s a University subject for maths courses! No wonder I failed the GCE!
Mind you the school and teachers back then were inspirational and a wonderful educational experience that I look back on with great fondness.
It was so good my parents insisted my brother follow me......Hale inspired him to become a playwright......claim to fame.....writing the TV series ‘New Tricks’ amongst a plethora of other things!

nice first post pugmitch and welcome to the forum...there is plenty of brum history on here...little tip is to use the search box for anything you maybe looking for...enjoy

lyn

Pugmitch, at the Girls' School one of the mistresses used to show how mercury rolled around in her hand!! No H&S then certainly.
rosie.

Hi Taffy, great to hear from you - my old mate Rog Blower introduced me to the site and it's brought back plenty of
happy memories. I can certainly remember practice matches at Lightwoods Park for Dave Butlers Warley Park Rangers,
one ref'd by Mr Summers of all people. Playing White Star, Keith Fielding and all, on the sandy all weather pitch at
Summerfield Park. Didn't Terry Flint also run a team from school, Lightwoods Rangers? It's nice to be reminded of
the Villa Cup final - being let out of school early so we could get back to catch the coach to the ground and Mr Harkness
visiting the dressing room after the game. Bill Sanders [2] and Jim Bench getting the goals. The Cross Castle match, and you and Mick carting the ball into the next field at every opportunity as we hung on, much to their annoyance. I also, I
might add, remember Dave Tyers laterly as a barnstorming centre forward - 5 goals [out of six] in one game was pretty
impressive by anybodies standards.
Another sporting memory is of Mick O'Conner, who was in our year, coming second [ I think ] in the national cyclocross
[ age group ] champs at Sutton Park when we were in fourth year. He would have won but for his chain coming off when
in the lead on the final lap I seem to remember. He was also a v good athlete - 1500m - along with yourself , Rog Miller
Bernard Dooling and others. I'm still very much in touch with Bernard who now lives in New Zealand. Anyway it is great
to hear old mates exploits on the athletics track. We were pretty serious about our sport weren't we. All the best, Paul Turley.

Hi Paul - Great to hear from you too. Hope you are keeping safe during these strange times. You have remembered some of the stories I had forgotten. Yes Summers the most cruel English teacher around especially when he hit you with the latest copy of English Rideout. I remember that well. His temper was legendary although he did have a funny side sometimes. I remember our first cricket games session in 1f and he was the teacher. He bowled to me and I hit it for four. The next ball all my three wickets disappeared and he just walked off chuckling to himself!! Weird satisfaction being able to bowl out a 12 year old lol.

Mick O'Connor was in my form and as you say he was a very keen cyclist. Didn't realise he was that good.

Don't know about barnstorming centre forward but I always enjoyed our sports activities together especially the football and the cricket when we opened the batting together. Hope you kept up the cricket as well as the footy. Take care and keep the stories coming. Best regards Taffy T.

Hi Pugmitch - you were in the year below us at Lordswood but I knew quite a few lads who lived locally to the Selly Oak area in your year.
We used to meet in the Brook pub in Selly Oak on a Friday night for many years. Do you remember Alex Bird who married and went to live in Scotland; Steve Barlow who was a settler with a series of bookmakers when I knew him; also Terry Walls and Mick Cunningham. All good lads. I knew Alex better than the others and we worked together in engineering. At the works summer fate we had a six a side football competition each year which was usually won by a hand pick team. But one year our team (Alex was our goalie) held them to a penalty shoot out. The whole works wanted us to win. It was sudden death. We scored the first pen and Alex then had to try to save their first. He had never played in goal before and never faced a penalty. He said to me what should I do. I said just pick a side and dive that way and hope for the best. Well he did and he did in a fashion save it after it came down off the bar but not in the net. All the old boys from the works were delighted and carried Alex off to the beer tent to celebrate!!! We had a great night from what I can remember of it lol.

Let me know if you remember these lads and what they are doing these days. Stay safe Taffy T.

Hi Pugmitch and Taffy T. Pugmitch, I could have written just the same and have been looking at our 6th form leaving photograph to see if I could recognise you. I’m afraid as yet I haven’t but perhaps if you have the same photograph you might like to direct me. Taffy T, the names you mentioned are ones I recognise and bring back images of young lads with their futures all before them. I too was a Selly Oak lad. I’ve much to be thankful for with regards to the staff at Lordswood and, as they say, being there was an education, it certainly taught me a lesson!

Last edited:
I have just stumbled across this. It has brought back so many memories! I was there from 1962 - 1967 and I think started in form 1F and was in Telford. I came from Our Lady and St Rose of Lima primary school in Weoley Castle. I enjoyed my time at the school and ended up with 5 decent GCEs. I didn't stay on for the 6th form as at the time I needed to become financially independent. I remember for maths my class being part of the Midland Mathematical Experiment. Does anyone remember this? It comprised being taught complex maths (Sets and vectors, Boolian Algebra, etc), which frankly I strugged with and there was a neglect of more conventional mathematics. Fortunately I scraped a grade 1 CSE in maths (GCE pass equivalent). I initially did a technical apprenticeship and I remember not having a clue as to what was going on during the first ONC maths lecture at Mathew Boulton Technical College. The lecturer recommended some maths books and I had to teach myself. I managed to cope with the maths and went on to get HNC in Engineering and some years later a BSc degree in Mechanical Engineering. I have fond memories of many the teachers mentioned, in particular Messrs George and Betts, (Metalwork), Harrington, (Technical Drawing) who also gave me a lift to school, Checkley (English), Hawkridge (History) who was a complete case and Long (German) who insisted on being called Herr Lang! The games teacher was a welshman called Mr Jones. I remember once having a bad cold and on presenting him with a sick note from my Dad ahead of rugby his response being "...get your kit on!" The headmaster, Derek Harkness, was tough but fair. During my time there myself and a friend managed to make a key that opened every door in the school. I won't say how we did it but we got rumbled by some prefects and were taken to see Harkness. We were interviewed separately and he concluded, correctly, that we had done it as a technical challenge and actually congratulated us on our ingenuity whilst at the same time promising us with expulsion if we did it again!
Hi Denis. I remember your key incident very well and often wondered how you did it. I also remember being surprised you not being in the sixth form, you having come from an teaching family but I knew you would do well. The MME was an experience and curiously one that my wife, who went to a school in Solihull, also had to endure although she was somewhat more successful. I read somewhere that you eventually moved to the coast.

I’m new to this forum, and was at Lordswood from 63 to 70 in Telford house. I can remember the teachers names previously mentioned and wondered if anyone is n here I may remember. My name is John Sullivan. I was into sports ans swam for the school as well as Rugby and Athletics in the Long and triple jump. Would be great to make contact with someone from that era.

You must have been in 1T. You would have known Nigel Stone who was also in 1T. I started in 63 and was in IB.

I left early, never went back for GCEs and soon joined a rock band and travelled the World. I worked for Miles Davis (thank you Mr. Hart), and many other famous names as a technician, and/or drummer, and as a ligger in the film business! Mr George in metalwork spent so much time telling stories in his sweet welsh accent that come exam time, no one had enough pieces to display. So he 'lent' us pieces from his storeroom. Needless to say we all passed. I had no interest in metalwork at all until the age of 55 when I inherited a metalwork business which is still running! Does anyone remember Mr Macari or Mr White? Or the Albino geography teacher Mr. McGhee was it?

The geography teacher was Mr McCourt.

Hi Phil
Do not seem to be getting alerts, so only just seen this. Went to Surrey Uni with Paul and shared flats with him. Is that him 2 row from top on right in 5T photo ?
I am “stuck” in the US at the moment, but have now got flight home.
I have some photos, but I was in the S stream, so may not include you. Will look them out when home.
The one of 5T was a memory jogger as ,like you, I met in the sixth form.
I think it is too late a photo, but is that Roger Tonge bottom right ?
Went to Kalsi’s house once and his mom gave us Asian snacks, a real treat and “novelty” for us at that time. I wonder were he is now.
Just found 1960-64 Year books, attached 1962 Form 5S signatures and 1964 6th form photos. See who you recognise. Geoff and Kalsi obvious.

Attachments

• 68093642-40AB-4112-9ED2-D9F93A255DF3.jpeg
    68093642-40AB-4112-9ED2-D9F93A255DF3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 110
  • 971C37DB-312B-400C-9E20-00595F585253.jpeg
    971C37DB-312B-400C-9E20-00595F585253.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 115
Hi All> New to the site. Marvellous what 'lockdown' does. Thanks for the memories I loved the school (Sept61-June66 - 1f; 2f; 3b; 4b; 5b) and hardly missed a day but not for the academic bits. I was into sport and so was the school. Even the bad times were good (well ok anyway) I had six of the best **** (Edit) after my only appearance for the Rugby first team. I swore (oh my f*****g head) after it was caved in by a massive left winger coming full steam at me. I remember Paul Turley well. I opened the school batting with him many times and later played with him for Lordswood FC, an outside school football team, managed by Bob Taylor who was a year older than us. Paul was an excellent all rounder and please pass on my regards. Does anyone remember playing for Warley Park Rangers managed by David Butler? We used to train in Lightwoods Park in the holidays. George Foley played sometimes I think as did Steve Skidmore, Steve Curtis, Ray Brassington and Malcom Argyll amonst others. Malcom Argyll was from Weoley Castle and we played football together for John Hills brothers team in Handsworth on a Saturday afternoon and later worked together in Engineering. We went on holiday to Butlins in 66 with Steve Curtis and missed the World Cup final. Most of the teachers were ok but Mr. Thomson, the Scots maths teacher, was the best for me. He would ask a question and if you didn't get it correct he would say 'I don't think so T***s in a broad accent. There have been so many memories and stories and some of them I have dined out on for years. I have seen Ada Bolton many times at the races where he was part of an on course Bookmaking joint. Remember lads some of you are only 69 but most like me are 70 so stay safe in these unusual times. Let me know if you remember some of the lads I have mentioned.
Hi TaffyT
New to the site today. I have just found this site and forum. It's been an absolute thrill reading through the post. Its all a little bit too much to take in, keeps triggering so many memories.
Yes what about Butlins? My abiding memory is of you keeping us in the bookies most afternoons and the four of us playing cards in the chalet late into the night. I don't seem to remember much else about the week though. I know Bill Sanders (my cousin) also played for Warley Park Rangers, did Ray Powel and Steve Allen also play?
Lots of names I thought I had forgotten keep flooding back. It's my 70th birthday tomorrow. It seems the right time to reminisce. I don't know if you remember Pete Collin. I remained great friends with Pete until he sadly died in about 2010 aged 61.
Great to catch a little.
Keep safe
Steve Curtis

Hi Steve
Great to hear from you and great now you are on board so to speak. Happy Birthday for tomorrow. I think I remember Pete Collin. Wasn't he quite a quick sprinter. If it was him we use to train together. Very nice lad and a sad loss. Also I think you are right Ray Powell and Steve Allen played for WPR as did Bill who had a very hard shot and was a extremely good left winger as I recall. When people ask where did you watch the 66 final I have to say I didn't because we were on the coach to Pwllheli and it was baking hot!! We had a good time from memory. Yes I do still have a flutter but mainly on the footy these days. In terms of cards I've recently discovered bridge and enjoy that a lot.

Keep posting, take a bit of water with it tomorrow lol and stay safe.

Taffy T

A photo of the school in the 1950s. Looks like a typical design for Birmingham schools built in the 50s/60s.m

View attachment 115772
Hi. I'm new to the forum today. I attended 61 to 66. There are a few posts by names I recognise. Roger Blower, Paul Turley, TaffyT. Also loads of names mentioned in post that have bought so many memories flooding back.
There was an incident I recall but can't remember the exact time. It was the end of term when the equipment in the Gym was set out for "Pirates" and a group of used to "break into" the Gym early morning before school start and play "Pirates". I do remember what a great time we had. Of course we were caught, can't remember the punishment.
I also recall how a group of us myself, Malcolm Argyle, Martin Young, Mickey Day used to meet of an evening in each others houses when parents were out to play cards, smoke and drink beer.
I believe there were occasional others turn up but that was the hardcore group.
Another vivid memory was of myself, Steve Skidmore, Bill Sanders and Jim Phillips all joining the Boys Brigade because Derek Jesson who was all ready a member said that they had a football team. There was no football at Lordswood so we joined just to get in the team. This was before Warley Park Rangers was formed, mentioned by TaffyT, for who I played right back.
As I said so many memories so many names.
Last recollection for this post is of bumping into George Foley, a few years after leaving, and him saying that he was then a PE teacher at Lordswood.
That will do for now.

Hi Steve
Great to hear from you and great now you are on board so to speak. Happy Birthday for tomorrow. I think I remember Pete Collin. Wasn't he quite a quick sprinter. If it was him we use to train together. Very nice lad and a sad loss. Also I think you are right Ray Powell and Steve Allen played for WPR as did Bill who had a very hard shot and was a extremely good left winger as I recall. When people ask where did you watch the 66 final I have to say I didn't because we were on the coach to Pwllheli and it was baking hot!! We had a good time from memory. Yes I do still have a flutter but mainly on the footy these days. In terms of cards I've recently discovered bridge and enjoy that a lot.

Keep posting, take a bit of water with it tomorrow lol and stay safe.

Taffy T
Hi Taf. Yes you have Pete Collin right. Very fast. Pete and I stayed very close friends after leaving school. Lovely chap. Sadly missed.

Hi Taf. Yes you have Pete Collin right. Very fast. Pete and I stayed very close friends after leaving school. Lovely chap. Sadly missed.
Good morning and Happy Birthday Steve!
Great to see these old school pals chewing the fat. Last time we ran in to each other was at the "Chalet", the back room at the Talbot pub opposite the school main entrance - would have been early seventies.
Hope you are well and enjoying your birthday.
We all seem to have a sad note to add to our memories - Pete Collin, Pete Williams - old chums sadly lost.
You might remember my old fishing buddy, Ed Hadley, pictured in the 5 alpha photo - he passed away after a short illness in 2004.

On a lighter note, I'm still younger than all of the '61 intake - another 2 months until my 70th!

Take care out there Steve and say Hi to your cousin Bill.

Great to see these old school pals chewing the fat. Last time we ran in to each other was at the "Chalet", the back room at the Talbot pub opposite the school main entrance - would have been early seventies.
We all seem to have a sad note to add to our memories - Pete Collin, Pete Williams - old chums sadly lost.
You might remember my old fishing buddy, Ed Hadley, pictured in the 5 alpha photo - he passed away after a short illness in 2004.

On a lighter note, I'm still younger than all of the '61 intake - another 2 months until my 70th!

Hi Roger. Thanks for the birthday wishes. Good to hear from you. Yes a few sad loses but I suppose it's to be expected at this stage of life. When I was reading through the posts yesterday it truly didn't seem like, what, 50 plus years since all those thing happened. Yes I recall when we met at the Chalet. That place used to be my second home about that time. I doubt that I shall be able to pass on your regards to Bill I haven't seen him in years. I assume he is still in Birmingham, I now live in St Ives, Cornwall. I shall keep an eye on this site it's been fabulous picking through the threads of school days. I remember Eds name but didn't really know him that well. Keep well mate.

Roger Miller says sorry to hear about the too early demise of 'Chopper' Hadley. 'We all used to go in his car to some pub (The Fish?) by Stratford. What was the pub called? Ed was an excellent driver, very smooth.'

A photo of the school in the 1950s. Looks like a typical design for Birmingham schools built in the 50s/60s.m

View attachment 115772
I attended 1985-1992. Went back for the 60th anniversary, and march this year for final tour before it was pulled down this week. What was the name of the science lab that has steps that you had to climb up to sit on benches?

Just found 1960-64 Year books, attached 1962 Form 5S signatures and 1964 6th form photos. See who you recognise. Geoff and Kalsi obvious.
Amazed to see the excellent photo of the sixth form. I am in it but I don't know what the gathering was. It seems to be a mixture of lower and upper sixth forms. I recognise the following selective faces from the lower sixth: on the back row : Parsons, Trevor Fisher, Fred Collin,
Rod Adams, Bill Eddy, Dave Harris, Pete Greeno, Robert Bradburn, Steve Ryall, third row back Fred Evenson, 2nd row back Ben Ying, Larry Kricka, Pete Morris

regards, Delboy

Amazed to see the excellent photo of the sixth form. I am in it but I don't know what the gathering was. It seems to be a mixture of lower and upper sixth forms. I recognise the following selective faces from the lower sixth: on the back row : Parsons, Trevor Fisher, Fred Collin,
Rod Adams, Bill Eddy, Dave Harris, Pete Greeno, Robert Bradburn, Steve Ryall, third row back Fred Evenson, 2nd row back Ben Ying, Larry Kricka, Pete Morris

regards, Delboy
After further study of the sixth form photo from 1964 I have spotted on the back row John Daw, Keith? O'Brien, Dave Cotterell and Barry Joyce. I think I also see (partly obscured) Jimmy Reilly and Greg Conyers. It is very weird but good to see faces not seen for 56 years! Many thanks again Titch H for posting the photo

Hi Steve and other lads.

Hope the hangover was not too bad lol.

Graham James I believe passed on quite a few years ago. I think he was best mates with Brian Price. He was always in a good mood and the only time I heard him complain was about his own hair. For me he set the standard for us to follow. Sadly missed.

Taffy T

Hi John
Guess you've made it back to the UK by now since you've posted the photos. I recognise a few faces from the seated group, looks like lower 6th have been left standing.
Geoff & Kalsi, Rich Parnell's head on Geoff's left, Dave (?) Clarke in between, Rich Gledhill leaning forward,
Hi John

Ooops look like I've already posted some of my response, however here's the lot again!

Guess you made it back to UK since you've found the photos.
The 6th form photo brings a rew more names to mind. It looks like a mix of forms and years, the upper 6th sitting!
Rich Parnell's head is just visible leaning on Geoff's left, Clarke (Dave?) between G & K, Rich Gledhill behind Kalsi, Roger Davis next along front row, Paul Latchem, next. Pete Wadsworth (almost) extreme left and is that you, by any chance, on the extreme left? I think I'm showing my love of General Studies by not being there.
In answer to your earlier questions, it is Paul Latchem on the 5T1 photo over on the right. Roger Tonge left sometime before only spending a short time with us, maybe a year around 3rd year, I think.
Cheers
Phil

Back