• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Double Zero Club

pete died years ago mate he did go tramps and his brother nidge went away down south with another mob Nigel nose pliers if your reading this mate
Thought it was same guy I hadn't heard the name in 30 years though takes me back to the Bogarts, Speedwell days and Mean Street Dealers at the Haven ta for the update.

I remember attending dz with my hubby, then my boyfriend around early 70's possibly 1970.

I sure went on the right day. It was the opening page of Dave's book. The day the guys from Wolverhampton came down along with a gun or two. Yet we all lived to tell the story, even if it was slightly different from the book. ;D

There were so many characters there. Mad Mick and his misses Zeb. Fanny B who i think is no longer with us and loads more. Yet i guess they are all on pension now or very near. Bloody hell i was only a teenager in the 70's so many of the guys and girls there will be mid 50's to late 60's now. :-*

Times change don't they...Franny B died, I don't know what happened to Big Tom, Fats Black, Ringo and all the others from the Digbeth Old Crown...gravitated to Bogarts and from there to mc clubs...and yes those that were around in that time are now pensioners but some still ride bikes...great days...

Hi there long time since I’ve been on here saw you threads about Hoar Park, I’ll try to get there when we are allowed out again just to see if I recognise any old faces.
One of the Bonneville boys (Ernie) it would be good to see some old faces. Unfortunately sold my bikes now so on 4 wheels now.

Times change don't they...Franny B died, I don't know what happened to Big Tom, Fats Black, Ringo and all the others from the Digbeth Old Crown...gravitated to Bogarts and from there to mc clubs...and yes those that were around in that time are now pensioners but some still ride bikes...great days...
Just as an aside the Wolvo became Hells Angels England...still have the Penn clubhouse I think..

Thought it was same guy I hadn't heard the name in 30 years though takes me back to the Bogarts, Speedwell days and Mean Street Dealers at the Haven ta for the update.
Think the Cycle Tramps became Outlaws mc didnt they, so did 69mc as I remember Frenchie, Fluff and others from those way back days, funny how people still around 40 years on...

I worked with a chap 1969-71 who was a member of the DZ club He rode a BSA 250 Goldstar we used to go to Kings Heath park during the dinner hour there and back and a quick point in The Gough Arms Upper Gough St , his name Keith Brown . Great bloke , I remember at the lights by the Albany hotel , there was a bloke on a Honda 175 twin cylinder , Keith said to me lets see how good this bloke is ? He should leave me standing if he's good , lights went green I think the Honda is still at the lights ha ha

Hi. My dad used to go to Double Zero back in the late sixties, although I don't think he was a member. He used to manage H & L Motors, a triumph dealer on Dudley Rd. When I was little I used to go to work with him as my Mom also worked at H & L as the bookkeeper/accounts. I remember Johnny Windsor as he was always in there and his girlfriend Dougal used to take me to buy sweets and fish and chips on a saturday. Other names I remember are Dave Whitehouse, Fordy, Big Phil, Mike Hailwood, Pete Heyes and a guy called MIck or Mike who was a sidecar racer.
I believe you mean mad mick he had a coffin as his side car :)

I dont remember Johnny Windsor, did you mean Jimmy Cowboy ?, yes Pete Heyes, he went with the Cycletramps but is dead now, I remember Fats Black, Big Tom, Ringo, Franny B. Lots of them all past now I think, some still around with Outlaws and HAMC, what happened to Dave Collyer the old vicar ?.

I visited DZ a number of times with Paul Foster who crashed his BSA and injured his leg badly. Whilst recovering he built a new Gold Wing, but while riding it the first or second time he was hit by a car and died.
Shortly afterwards, I left the UK and lived in Germany for many years. I currently live in Thailand and until two years ago, I still drove a bike. I was hit by a car, my skull was fractured in four places and I'm now blind in one eye, so motor-cycling is no longer an option.
I still think back to the great nights at DZ. Does anyone remember Paul, or his good friend who was killed around the same time? You won't remember me -- I was nicknamed 'Fluffy' at the time because of my cutlets...

I dont remember Johnny Windsor, did you mean Jimmy Cowboy ?, yes Pete Heyes, he went with the Cycletramps but is dead now, I remember Fats Black, Big Tom, Ringo, Franny B. Lots of them all past now I think, some still around with Outlaws and HAMC, what happened to Dave Collyer the old vicar ?.
Hi I was second chairman lived in club many many years ( in the morgue) at one point until I was sent on my holidays.good looking tall slim that was 55 years ago. Cheers windsor 111

Last edited by a moderator:
dated 1968...i wonder if anyone recongnises any faces..nice shot of st basils church and also the rev david collyer talking..click on learn more and the video will play..i went a few times to the club but it would have been a couple of years after the video was taken..lyn

Emerging from the 2018 Flatpack film festival there's a podcast made then looking back at Double Zero. Interviews with bikers and a few words from David Collyer towards the end. I believe he's still alive. Met him once in the early 70s when he came to our scout group to talk about DZ. The scoutmaster's son had a big British bike. He was great at putting people at their ease. A fascinating thread.

Last edited:
Emerging from the 2018 Flat Pack film festival there's a podcast made then looking back at Double Zero. Interviews with bikers and a few words from David Collyer towards the end. I believe he's still alive. Met him once in the early 70s when he came to our scout group to talk about DZ. The scoutmaster's son had a big British bike. He was great at putting people at their ease. A fascinating thread.
'Flatpack' came to Mutt Motorcycles in Digbeth to interview and photoshoot some of the members of the DZ.

Secondly I'd like to add the Double Zero book will soon be available in digital format, (should be very cheap) and I'll let you know how and where it is available
i have been loaned an original copy of this book and look forward to reading it

lyn

Back