• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Computer Security.

I've tested DuckDuckGo search compared to Google search and there seemed to be no difference in search speed.

Test search for Images of the WW2 Castle Bromwich Spitfire Factory
DuckDuckGo search ... more thumbnails per screen.
duckduck.jpg

Google search ... larger thumbnails with text under them.
Google.jpg

I picked up my iPad this afternoon at 15.40pm, logged in as normal to the BHF and the Safari browser displayed this somewhat alarming message.
IMG_1256.jpg
Immediately switched to the Edge browser in my iPad and got this
IMG_1257.jpg

I then switched on my Windows 10 computer and all was ok with no problem messages displayed.

Went back to my iPad after it had been in 'sleep' mode and everything now appears ok.

Last edited:
I picked up my iPad this afternoon at 15.40pm, logged in as normal to the BHF and the Safari browser displayed this somewhat alarming message.
View attachment 146051
View attachment 146052

I then switched on my Windows 10 computer and all was ok with no problem messages displayed.

Went back to my iPad after it had been in 'sleep' mode and everything now appears ok.
I some times get that.but Norton blocks it.and says it is a unsafe.site. so i turn browser off and try again and all is ok..

I have removed norton,it was slowing my pc down.and blocking most downloads. since then I have had no prob.
:confused:

My Windows computer is showing no problems it was just my iPad which normally never needs antivirus. I have cleared all safari cookies and history, completely powered down, now back on and looking at the router log.

I’m a bit cautious because of all the internet shopping I’ve been doing during lockdown.
:cool:

How many members are there who 'clean' their computers regularly? Getting rid of cookies at least should be done regularly & I don't mean biscuits lol

On my Windows devices Windows Defender runs continuously, Malwarebytes every two days, Ccleaner once a week, and I never click links in emails. I use a Pin number with Windows start-up.

My iPad has never needed any extra security and I use fingerprint login. I only browse with the iPad and never use it to shop.
:)

View attachment 146051
View attachment 146052

1592932690185.png1592932690185.png OldMohawk, I was receiving this error message until early evening US central time. the message was on my computer windows 10, Ipad 6 months old and iPhone.

On my Windows devices Windows Defender runs continuously, Malwarebytes every two days, Ccleaner once a week, and I never click links in emails. I use a Pin number with Windows start-up.

My iPad has never needed any extra security and I use fingerprint login. I only browse with the iPad and never use it to shop.
:)
Ditto ditto!

I am not very PC wise but I apply 'disc clean up' once a week and that's about it. My antivirus is McFee which comes free with my BT package (used to be Norton) which I am quite happy with Cannot recall any security or virus problems in the 18 years I have had a PC, but my browsing is limited and I rarely buy on line and I never respond to any email unless I am absolutely sure its safe to do so. Eric

I did some investigation looking at my router log and the web address which produced the error message in my ipad was the top line in the image below. The lower line shows the real address of post#1 in the Old Streets thread.
It seems that "forum/index.php?threads/" got replaced by "00000-111500/gui/?item=forum/index.php?threads" and the 's' was dropped off https.
links.jpg

I was not looking for old streets and can only assume my iPad (iOS 13.5.1) had momentary blip. It seems ok now.
Edit ... a hyphen added to the number in the text to prevent it being a link

Last edited:
When I look at post#34 with the Safari browser on my iPad the long number turns blue and becomes a link and if I tap on the number a dialogue box appears offering choices as shown below. It seems something dodgy has happened to my iPad so I'm doing a complete restore on it from a two week old back-up. :)
Img_1258 (Medium) (1).jpg

When I look at post#34 with the Safari browser on my iPad the long number turns blue and becomes a link and if I tap on the number a dialogue box appears offering choices as shown below. It seems something dodgy has happened to my iPad so I'm doing a complete restore on it from a two week old back-up. :)
View attachment 146059
i hope you sort it phill. i do a windows reload on my desktop if i get probs.it takes time but it get shut of tha cra*.....i use my laptop with a large ext screen,......not as huge as yours though :grinning::grinning:

i hope you sort it phill. i do a windows reload on my desktop if i get probs.it takes time but it get shut of tha cra*.....i use my laptop with a large ext screen,......not as huge as yours though :grinning::grinning:
Pete, my iPad is now restored from an iTunes back-up I had in my Windows laptop. It is the first time I have had this sort of problem with an Apple device. Back-ups are a chore but they come in useful and always worth doing.
Phil ... :)

Pete, my iPad is now restored from an iTunes back-up I had in my Windows laptop. It is the first time I have had this sort of problem with an Apple device. Back-ups are a chore but they come in useful and always worth doing.
Phil ... :)
well done.
I liked the old pcs when you could swap a h/disk from one machine to another.and it worked straight away.:)

Using my iPhone I tapped the number Safari was showing as a link in #34 and the phone wanted to call someone so it could be a scam. I've now edited an hyphen into the number to prevent the Safari browser treating it as a link. All seems ok now.
:cool:
Edit addition ... it appears that if the iPad Safari browser sees a number with leading zeros on a web site it assumes it is a phone number and offers to call it. Other browsers in the iPad do not do this. Looks like a bug !

Last edited:
Back