• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sparkhill in the 70's

When you say "a shop that sold almost everything" do you mean "The House of Holland"? Kwiksave was where the Co-op supermarket now is. I don't remember the Candy Box.

Julie,

These are the next 10 shops to Woolworths in 1973 - 1974.

here is Forman's rd'
722 Hartley Carpets
724/726 Woolworth Fw W. & Co. Ltd. departmental store
730 Lo-'Cost Discount, grocers
732 Bannister & Thatcher Ltd. chemists
734 Smith & Westbrooke, self-service launderette
736 Wrights, bakers
738 Leisure Restaurant
746 Decorwall Ltd. wallpaper mers
746 Springfield (Flowers)florists
750 Eyre Dennis Ernest, butcher
752 Rima Patisseries Ltd. pastry cooks
754/756 House of Holland, furniture dlrs
768 Cousti Hairstylists

I remember Mario the Barbers down by Springfield Road. He was so attractive when he first came there, several of us girls used to catch a no 1 from school and then wait at the bus stop opposite the shop for a 37!!
I see he has sold his shop now, I hope he was able to retire happily. I used to see him a couple of years back cycling in his very short shorts, he had white hair and beard and managed to look very distinguished .... except for the shorts!!!

When I was at Moseley Secondary School I had my haircut at Marios. I remember when he first arrived. Before that my mum took us to the barbers that owned the shop before him in the fifties and the sixties.

About two doors up there was a coffee bar run by the Constantino family. Two of the sons went to our school. They were very athletic

Bought a climbing frame from House of Holland in the early seventies, my Sister reminded me last weekend, on one of my rare visits to Solihull, that a piece of rust had fallen off resulting in my Neice having to visit A & E, perhaps I should have repainted it :calm:

Wasn't the Lo -Cost group taken over by Kwick Save? Though there were several Candy Box shops in Birmingham in 73-74 I can't find one on Stratford Rd.

Very funny! My mam shouldn't have been sending us, nor should the shop be serving 8 year olds!

Lo-cost was taken over by Kwiksave. When it first opened the Car park was a very risky adventure to get in and out of.

There was a Candy Box on Stratford Rd on the opposite side to The Picadilly cinema ! Say between Stoney Lane and the cinema. Dads night off as a waiter was Thursday , so he ,Mom and I would go to the pictures and buy Turkish Delight and other sweets there on the way.

The Candy Box was on Stratford Road opposite the gap where the market was held on a Sunday. Between the bank and a gardening shop. I've marked the place with an X in the image.
Julie I'm in the wrong place and time. I talking 1940/50s and in Sparkbrook just past Stoney Lane and Walford Rd heading towards Sparkhill. Cheers

Back