• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

I have put a number of pics of old Yardley village for example on facebooks east birmingham past and present. What did you mean by "the dark building"? The building that was once the Cottagers Institute is supposed to have been built on the site of the Ring O Bells after there were complaints about alcohol being sold close to the church. The pub moved further along Church Rd to the site next to the Nunnery where it remained, being replaced with a new bldg in 1939. This was burned down (surprise surprise) and housing built on the site.
There is another bldg which looks like an old inn but it has been pain
It wasn't always like that as the link will show. In fact some of the best beer/ales are brewed today in monasteries, principally in mainland Europe - Belgium in many instances. Church House Inns are to be found in may small towns and villages. Were there any in Birmingham in what is considered Birmingham today as many were probably be in the former constituent counties I guess.

It wasn't always like that as the link will show. In fact some of the best beer/ales are brewed today in monasteries, principally in mainland Europe - Belgium in many instances. Church House Inns are to be found in may small towns and villages. Were there any in Birmingham in what is considered Birmingham today as many were probably be in the former constituent counties I guess.
RR, great article on Church Houses!

hi aliye and welcome...i will post that photo in our pubs section if thats ok...must say i have not heard of this pub...do you know if it still there

lyn

hi maggs...thing is as kids we usually stuck to the picture houses near to where we lived...by the time i was old enough to go up town by myself a lot of them had gone or if not i was then into going to the pub lol...here are a few more from me..

westley road..acocks green..dated 1975

View attachment 117626

not exactly a street but a nice one..
christchurch passage with new st in view..dated 1970..not long after this pic was taken the buildings on the right were demolished..

View attachment 117627

cattell road/coventry road...dated 1973

View attachment 117628

hockley hill...dated 1960..love this one as it shows both the trees pub and the duke of york...sadly both now gone..ive walked past them both many many times on my way to work in vyse st..

View attachment 117629

albert road..stechford....dated 1975

View attachment 117630
1st pic of Acocks Green. I used to get off the 11 bus at that bus stop every day for school - up to 1970. Bowling alley just across the road.

Hi. I joined this form because I'm doing - trying to do - some family history for my husband whose father was born a Brummy, Aston, 1912. I did have some addresses somewhere and some of the street names on photos seem familiar.
We're living in Australia, and both UK born: him in Weston-super-Mare and me in Kent; we're both now in our 80s. D knows almost nothing about his father's family history as his father never talked about his family, and had no idea at all about back-to-backs, courts etc. One of the family addresses was for a court, and I found an approximate situation for it on a map, so I'll have to look it up again.
I've been trying to get a sense of what his father's family would have seen/been a part of. His parents came to Oz in 1948, and I'm wife no 3 down the line [D's first 2 wives died, and I never got meet his father]. I've always been interested in family histories, and how people lived, etc. I do know quite a bit about how the industrial towns and cities developed [and why] with some of my own originating in Nottingham.
So - the point of this post? - I have loved the photos I've seen so far, but I've only looked at 1-8 & 283 back to ~265. Thank you all so much and I'm hoping to see more. I've emailed the link to D's pc. There were a few 'pump-makers' and 'brass finisher's' in the family according to Census records.
Thanks for reading & 'listening'. Cheers.

hi aliye and welcome...i will post that photo in our pubs section if thats ok...must say i have not heard of this pub...do you know if it still there

lyn
Hello Lyn, I’m a novice on here as you’ve probably noticed, it’s fine to put it in the pub section. I’ve been told the pub is no longer there. I left Birmingham many years ago but still have family there who keep me updated.

I have put a number of pics of old Yardley village for example on facebooks east birmingham past and present. What did you mean by "the dark building"? The building that was once the Cottagers Institute is supposed to have been built on the site of the Ring O Bells after there were complaints about alcohol being sold close to the church. The pub moved further along Church Rd to the site next to the Nunnery where it remained, being replaced with a new bldg in 1939. This was burned down (surprise surprise) and housing built on the site.
There is another bldg which looks like an old inn but it has been pain
Spent many hours in the Old NEW Ring O Bells that burned down.

As anyone any photos of Yardley old Church and the village forge on the sharp bend.My great friend Vic Saunders lived in the cottage by the side of the forge and used to let me and my friend Bob Weetman use the barn to do car repairs to earn a bit extra to supplement my wages in the earl 60s

As anyone any photos of Yardley old Church and the village forge on the sharp bend.My great friend Vic Saunders lived in the cottage by the side of the forge and used to let me and my friend Bob Weetman use the barn to do car repairs to earn a bit extra to supplement my wages in the earl 60s
Edify...astoness. posted a pic in 2012 it might interest you.
Feb 4, 2012 #84

Pete,many thanks for that.Havent been there for 50 years.Vics son another friend of mine lived in one of the little cottages on the left.That as bought back so many memories.Thanks again Ed:sob::sob:

Lyn,great photo of Yardley old church.Someone asked if that was Yardley Cemetry.

My father was interned in Yardley Cemetry which is on the Outer Circle( No 11 ) bus route just past the Coventry Rd going clock wise just passed the Swan pub

Back