• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

BATH ROW LADYWOOD

stars

master brummie
Hi Mike
Would you happen to have a map for Bath Row showing where number 40 is in the 40s or 50s

many thanks Stars

Stars

Number 40 Bath Row was between Cregoe St & Piggott St more or less opposite Chequers Walk.

I take it you mean 1950s. Map below pub 1952, probably surveyed about 1950, with 40 in red

map_c_1952_showing_no_40_Bath_Row.jpg

Great photos Lyn, I cannot remember seeing them before.
They seem to be around 1949; the JOL registered Standard Vanguard car (photo 1) was registered in 1949 and the ambulance in photo 2 , an Austin K8? was introduced also in 1949. Photos 1 and 2 show tram track but no overhead wiring. The 33 route trams ceased in 1947 and I think the bus is on the 95 Ladywood bus route which replaced the trams.
I am curious about photo 5. I suspect that barren area is a bomb site as I do not think the widespread demolitions had started at that time.

thanks alan and for the info...some are dated some are not.. they were given to me a couple of years back so i was pretty certain they were new ones...i do have lots more so i think i may risk posting them on this thread tomorrow and for the search engine purpose i will add ladywood to the title of the thread..

lyn

hopefullly a couple of these are new photos pretty sure i have not posted them before..hover over pics for the datesView attachment 145808View attachment 145809View attachment 145810View attachment 145811View attachment 145812View attachment 145813View attachment 145814

lyn

Great pics Lyn , pic1 3rd set of doors to the left of the bill boards on the opposite side of the road early 60's , I used to court a girl from that house . Obviously nothing ever came of it , last pic Lyn where the car is, was situated GN House which were my employers when serving my apprentice ship . G N the initials for George Nott head shareholder of G N Industries . By the way if you look over the wall of St Thomas's Garden of Rest , you can see the St Thomas School in Granville St .

Last edited:
thanks john...so pleased the pics bought back some memories to you...i will get a few more on tomorrow

lyn

Don't agree with early 1960's as a date for photo 1. There is not one car from the 1950's in the photo, the tram tracks are still there and the bus stop design, in most cases, had changed by then. The bus appears to be a pre WW2 Leyland which would more than likely by one of Roseberry Streets allocation. Most had gone by the mid 1950's and newer buses , also Leylands, had taken their place.

Don't agree with early 1960's as a date for photo 1. There is not one car from the 1950's in the photo, the tram tracks are still there and the bus stop design, in most cases, had changed by then. The bus appears to be a pre WW2 Leyland which would more than likely by one of Roseberry Streets allocation. Most had gone by the mid 1950's and newer buses , also Leylands, had taken their place.

Rr I was'nt saying that pic 1 was in the 60's . I wasjust giving a bit of info about the 60's and that house

The clothes of the boy in photo #4 seem to have some similarity with Teddy Boy clothes. Viv

been a tad busy today but will try to get some more bath row pics on tomorrow

lyn

Back