• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moseley Terrace / Alcester Road, Moseley

spstait

I'm very much a newcomer to this site but have recently been researching my family tree and have come to a loss with regards to 180 Alcester Road and Moseley Terrace, Moseley, Birmingham (Worcestershire) B13/14.

I have visited the site which is now a council run car park (Moseley Terrace) and public toilet (180 Alcester Road - 178 & 182 still exist), I have found maps that suggest Moseley Terrace and two other terrace rows were on the grounds of todays car park until approximately 1950 and have read articles suggesting that their existence until 1959.

I would be most grateful for any help, knowledge or media contributions to this subject.

Kind- Regards

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

A very warm welcome to you, I know the area you are talking about well. One thing you can be sure of is that there were not many back terraces in Moseley. I think the only one remaining is around the back of where once Moseley Terrace once stood and is off St Mary's Row.

These three photos should give you some idea what the frontage of the terrace was like back then, it's a pity the trams block most of it out. The latest photo even shows the terrace being demolished and is dated 1970. I hope they are of some use to you.

Attachments

• Moseley Alcester Rd 1970.JPG
    Moseley Alcester Rd 1970.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Moseley Post Office Alcester Rd.jpg
    Moseley Post Office Alcester Rd.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 75
  • s 66 & 42 Alcester Rd Moseley Village 1949.jpg
    s 66 & 42 Alcester Rd Moseley Village 1949.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 71
Hi Stewart,

A very warm welcome to you, I know the area you are talking about well. One thing you can be sure of is that there were not many back terraces in Moseley. I think the only one remaining is around the back of where once Moseley Terrace once stood and is off St Mary's Row.

These three photos should give you some idea what the frontage of the terrace was like back then, it's a pity the trams block most of it out. The latest photo even shows the terrace being demolished and is dated 1970. I hope they are of some use to you.
Hello.
I'm very much a newcomer to this site but have recently been researching my family tree and have come to a loss with regards to 180 Alcester Road and Moseley Terrace, Moseley, Birmingham (Worcestershire) B13/14.

I have visited the site which is now a council run car park (Moseley Terrace) and public toilet (180 Alcester Road - 178 & 182 still exist), I have found maps that suggest Moseley Terrace and two other terrace rows were on the grounds of todays car park until approximately 1950 and have read articles suggesting that their existence until 1959.

I would be most grateful for any help, knowledge or media contributions to this subject.

Kind- Regards

Stewart
Hello

Kind- Regards

Stewart
Hello Stewart
My name is Colin Precious,and I was born in Moseley in 1944 and lived with my family at number 2 Moseley Terrace,
until the early 1960s.
I am presently in the process of compiling a written article on my life in the village.
I am preparing this for the Moseley History Society,and the person I am in contact with and has supplied me maps etc lives in Ascot Road Moseley.
I have lived in Portugal for many years but very much want to do this article on my growing up in Moseley.

Regards
Colin Precious

Regarding the trams. Phil's photo is dated 1949 and 1st. October that year was when the trams on the Moseley Road were replaced by buses. A bus stop already exists it seems.
Car 719 was on the short working to Moseley Village and is about to turn back to return to town. This tram was built in 1925 and survived until all trams ceased in the city in 1953. Another tram is on route 42 which went as far as Alcester Lanes End. There is a third tram: this might suggest the last day of operation for them, or at least a day close to that.

Hello.

Hello

Hello Stewart
My name is Colin Precious,and I was born in Moseley in 1944 and lived with my family at number 2 Moseley Terrace,
until the early 1960s.
I am presently in the process of compiling a written article on my life in the village.
I am preparing this for the Moseley History Society,and the person I am in contact with and has supplied me maps etc lives in Ascot Road Moseley.
I have lived in Portugal for many years but very much want to do this article on my growing up in Moseley.

Regards
Colin Precious
Hi Colin - Would love to see the article about wonderful Moseley. Lived in and grew up in Moseley area from 1966 - 2000. Watched and experienced the changes.

As the 4th generation of the Dry Family all ex Moseley likewise would be keen to view anything of interest about the village and surroundings. Attached my Great Grandfather death notice from 1936. My Family lived in Moseley from 1899 through to 1950.FEAAE897-1E34-442B-8B9A-3CBD0C25A608.jpegFEAAE897-1E34-442B-8B9A-3CBD0C25A608.jpeg

Hello.

Hello

Hello Stewart
until the early 1960s.

Regards
Colin Precious

My grandfather, father, mother and my aunt were all living in Moseley Village in 1944, in Park Hill. I will post more details when I can on life then. I was born at the Sorrento Maternity Hospital in 1954.

My grandfather, father, mother and my aunt were all living in Moseley Village in 1944, in Park Hill. I will post more details when I can on life then. I was born at the Sorrento Maternity Hospital in 1954.
Solihull54 - I was also born in the Sorrento Maternity Hospital in 1954!

Small world. My dad was Jeffery Dry, of 9a Park Hill, my mum lived next door at 11a, my grandad lived at 56 Church Road, my grandma at 32 Forest Road and my Great grandad at 63 Church Road. In all I am 4th generation of a Moseley family though I'm in Solihull nowadays but using BHF to track down family history much as I can.

Attachments

• e1a4be37ab243819f08a81e6845e33a4.jpg
    e1a4be37ab243819f08a81e6845e33a4.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 17
The Sorrento was a wonderful hospital. We would not have known about that then, as babies!! But later in life I had professional dealings with the hospital and came to appreciate the genuine kindness and sensitivity of the nurses especially to the young mums.

The Sorrento was a wonderful hospital. We would not have known about that then, as babies!! But later in life I had professional dealings with the hospital and came to appreciate the genuine kindness and sensitivity of the nurses especially to the young mums.
It's derelict now of course another old building gone with the times, I don't remember it at all from being so young, do you live in Moseley now or did you when younger ?

Hello.

Hello

Hello Stewart
until the early 1960s.

Regards
Colin Precious
Hi Colin, my great grandfather, Walter Knight, was living at 2 Moseley Terrace in 1939! He and his father and grandfather before him were butchers in Moseley.

Jenny

It's derelict now of course another old building gone with the times, I don't remember it at all from being so young, do you live in Moseley now or did you when younger ?
Yes I lived and enjoyed the excitement of Moseley 'at its best' in my view from 1965 to 2000.

Back