• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Schools Football History / & photos

I've found this thread about school football teams.My junior school team was St.Barnabas in Ladywood.It was demolished some years ago.We weren't very good unfortunately but we enjoyed playing.Our kit was Arsenal colours,red shirts and white sleeves and shorts.In those days,late 1950's our shirts weren't colourfast and I remember we finished up playing in red shirts and pink sleeves.I think we set the trend for todays multicloured shirts and boots.

Recently my Mother passed away and going through her stuff found she had saved some old photos of me at school. This is one of St John's, Sparkhill, football team from 1961-1962. We were a small school and I think every boy had to play - from what I remember we lost every game!

Names have mostly slipped away:
Back row: Mr Beasley, ?, ?, ?, Robert Dalby?, Paul Forrster, ?, Teddy Smith, Robert Baxter, ?
Front Row: Michael Thomas, Andrew Hilton, Roger Parnell, Iain Adams, ?, ?, Edward

Lancashire Lad

Attachments

• football 1962.JPG
    football 1962.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 58
Here are some of the photos of this years Villa Cup reunion at Villa Park of Waverley Grammar School 50 years on.

View attachment 89381 View attachment 89382 View attachment 89383 Kenny Copson with villa cup, Captain and centre forward.

For the record and middle photo of remaining players ; Roger Simmonds,Keith Rowbotham,Barry Ansell,Ken Copson,Brian Worrall,Pete Deathridge,Dave Ladbrooke,Micky Ward,Terry Worton.
Who are the players in the dug out ?

Hey Bobrob, as an underage player I played against some of these guys. Our u/18 were short of a player, I think I was 15 and John Chambers asked me to help out. Played at your place on Hob Moor Rd I think. Hard game. Barry Ansell is one I remember he was a good player as was our Johnnie Chambers, I think they both went on to play for the Villa at some level. But the question is where were you Bobrob ?

Hi FNQ, well clearly they weren't short of a player :yum and needed some whippersnapper to make up the numbers :D ++++
I only asked the question because I presume that they were the rest of the team / squad and I thought someone could put the name to all of the faces. I do believe my brother Ray is bottom right :grinning:

Good evening my name is Anthony Pollard, I played in goal for Harborne Hill and Kings Norton district back in 1967/8 lost the villa cup final 2 0 kings Norton boys. Have a photo somewhere will try to find and post it.

Hi Bob, I think HMS stood for Her Majestys Shield? But stand to be corrected. Yes I can name all of the guys,here goes 1st photo back row L-R: Alan Westmorland,Kevin O'Neil,Roger Drew,Alan (knocker) Brown,Roy(Nibo) Niblett,Billy Dayton, front row L_R: Keith Stanley,Micky Donald,Steven Broome,Alan Phillips,Frankie Watts. 2nd Photo back row L-R: Mr Piet(Headmaster),Alan Phillips,Leslie Jennings,Alan Brown,Roger Drew,Micky Donald,Mr Laing(sports master),front row L-R: Keith Stanley,Frankie Watts,Roy Niblett,Steven Broome,Billy Dayton,Kevin O,Neil. Sorry Bob Terry Wharton doesn't ring any bells. I'v a few more photos to post which i will do soon.
This is a long shot, (very long) but I have just discovered posts such as this one and in particular post no 138 dating from August 16th 2011. This last one had two att. 70216 and 70217, presumably photos of the football team, looking through the posts the names of the team members hold memories for both my wife and myself. Steven Broome and Billy Dayton were prefects along with myself at St Andrews Secondary Modern,, Alan Brown was my neighbour and friend when we lived in Gordon Street, Frankie watts and Keith Standley also bought back memories of my school days. I realise that the pictures may have long disappeared from the the BHF site but is it possible that somewhere someone is still in possession of them and able to repost. It would be brilliant if they could be. Many thanks in anticipation
Reddi

Here is the Yardley wood Secondary modern Football team. I am second from the left front row. I can remember most of the players But I need help with a few.
Back row left to right.Goalkeeper?Michael Wood. Victor Brookes.Stephen Granfield.Lynton Webb.???Teacher Mr.Priest.
Front row??.Johnny Duff Tony Witherford.Michael Smith.Stephen Woodfield. Around 1962/63?
Can anyone help Name them?

Just found these Photos of the Yardley wood United football team.
Home games were played at the back of The Dog & Partridge Pub.
Bert Riando was the manager. Need help with all the player's names???
I am Backrow 4th from the left.

Attachments

• SCHOOL FOOTBALL TEAM 001.jpg
    SCHOOL FOOTBALL TEAM 001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
  • Yardley Wood United.JPG
    Yardley Wood United.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • Yardley wood united 2.JPG
    Yardley wood united 2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
My school Kings Norton Grammar won the Villa cup in I think 1968. I remember going to the ground for the match. We'd won the Birmingham City cup the season before. I think with Handsworth Grammar, we were the only Grammar school in Birmingham to play football rather than rugby. That's the reason I chose Kings Norton.

My school Kings Norton Grammar won the Villa cup in I think 1968. I remember going to the ground for the match. We'd won the Birmingham City cup the season before. I think with Handsworth Grammar, we were the only Grammar school in Birmingham to play football rather than rugby. That's the reason I chose Kings Norton.
My primary school was Rathvilly, in Northfield. One memorable day we had a soccer coaching session from the Birmingham City and England goalkeeper Gil Merrick. Here is a photo of the team, I think the year was 1957. I'm the
good looking one in the back row!

Rathvilly soccer.jpg

I played for Raddlebarn Road Primary. Normally, only boys in the top year could only play in the team. The highlight was when at the end of the season the team would go to Wembley to watch the schoolboy international. I'll never forget the day out, leaving from Snow Hill station on a train especially bound for Wembley with hundreds of boys and their teachers. That must have been May 1964. England played Germany, and despite all the excitement it was a 0-0 draw. Luckily for us they didn't have penalty shoot-outs then! I've still got the programme somewhere and I do remember that in the England team was a young lad called Trevor Brooking.

Following on from David re: BGTS team, here's 1 plus the Sunday league team we formed from the VERY successful school team. I notice there's a flying right winger pictured top left on the school photo and again bottom left on the Sunday team. Plus, I have to say, a big butch goalie 4th from the left on the Sunday team. Probably DB!!!
BGTS_First_Eleven_1964_65.jpg

Sunday_League_Team_281240_x_97229.jpg
Great photo. The lad front row left- is that Peter Crouch's dad?

A bit too late for my brother Gordon, he would be in his late twenties by then.
He was football crazy and played for the school and a variety of other teams, Aston Villa juniors, Walsall, and the works teams where he worked Leyland Daf, LDV and possibly Jensen at West Brom if they had a works team

Great photo. The lad front row left- is that Peter Crouch's dad?

On the first photo, I think that's Mr George Churchward who taught Technical Drawing at my old school, Bournville Boys' Technical School. I don't think he got on very well with the headmaster Mr 'Bill' Jennings - so he left. Did he teach the same subject at BGTS ?

Back