• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

DISGUSTING FOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
a sit watching the tv and can eat a packet.they are cheap from as**a.

same here i love crackers with butter and cheese on...hope you are ok pete...ive sent you 2 messages this week but had no reply...or was it summat i said o_O :rolleyes:

lyn

same here i love crackers with butter and cheese on...hope you are ok pete...ive sent you 2 messages this week but had no reply...or was it summat i said o_O :rolleyes:

lyn
i have had no messages at all from anyone for yonks. I love cheese on crackers. and them small ones from home bargains. the triangle ones in a bag.1590946219179.png

I think in those times Edifi you are probably limited in how much you could neat , so you were not likely to eat excess amounts. Nowadays it is more likely that people would eat excessive amounts. In addition there are the "healthy " and veggie brigade who think that anything that tastes really good must be bad for you. Thus, unless you live next to the Black country museum or up north (though even there they are being corrupted to a certain extent), you cannot get decent fish and chips cooked in animal fat

There is a restaurant near where I used to live. They sold four things: steak, lobster, baked potatoes and chips (french fries). They cooked the chips in the fat from the steak. They sell a LOT of chips!
[/QUOTE. AS POSTED THATS WHAT I DO. but i dont sell em i eat them:grinning:

All this talk of bacon fat and dripping has made my mouth water. Mom used to cook the big flat mushrooms in bacon fat and they just don't taste the same in low-fat spray. As a child I always put sugar on bacon. Just remembered a 'dripping piecey' from the beef tin. All in the past now as we've been veggie for 20 years, but I can dream.....

Lady P.
About 25 years ago Mcdonalds started using a special vegetable oil in which additives had been added so that veggies could appreciate the taste of dripping. It was not perfect . but better than ordinary veg. oil. Not a customer of the firm (far from it) but a friend in the manufacturer sen tme a gallon and I tried it. myself. As I said, not as good as the original, and as the additives were not soluble in the oil they tended to go to the bottom of the fryer and disappear quite quickly. Don't know if they still use it, but my point is that possibly that is a new market for a product that tastes like bacon fat but has never seen a pig (or any other animal)

Lady P.
About 25 years ago Mcdonalds started using a special vegetable oil in which additives had been added so that veggies could appreciate the taste of dripping. It was not perfect . but better than ordinary veg. oil. Not a customer of the firm (far from it) but a friend in the manufacturer sen tme a gallon and I tried it. myself. As I said, not as good as the original, and as the additives were not soluble in the oil they tended to go to the bottom of the fryer and disappear quite quickly. Don't know if they still use it, but my point is that possibly that is a new market for a product that tastes like bacon fat but has never seen a pig (or any other animal)
a bit like crisps:grinning:

Wife bought a bag of some , new name crisp firm.They were supposed to be Cheese and Onion. If they were that my names Umbongo Apendooli,
Sent an email to the Co in Glasgow with the barcode they said it was a rogue batch,and sent me a voucher £2 to buy some more.In the bin.

Wife bought a bag of some , new name crisp firm.They were supposed to be Cheese and Onion. If they were that my names Umbongo Apendooli,
Sent an email to the Co in Glasgow with the barcode they said it was a rogue batch,and sent me a voucher £2 to buy some more.In the bin.
well done mr Umbongo Apendooli,

Going back to post rationing cuisine, the Sunday Roast Yorkshire pudding was always cooked in a circular tin. 'Pudding' was a slice of Yorkshire 'pud' sliced laterally, and then sprinkled with sugar. I'm not sure I'd fancy that now.

The one thing that I do remember (and miss) is the pot of chopped carrots and onions into which went a dressed Rabbit for a couple of hours, or more.

The meat literally fell off the bones and tasted delicious.

I doubt that nowadays most households would have a pan (couldron) to replicate such a dish. I know we don't. :(

Going back to post rationing cuisine, the Sunday Roast Yorkshire pudding was always cooked in a circular tin. 'Pudding' was a slice of Yorkshire 'pud' sliced laterally, and then sprinkled with sugar. I'm not sure I'd fancy that now.
The one thing that I do remember (and miss) is the pot of chopped carrots and onions into which went a dressed Rabbit for a couple of hours, or more.
The meat literally fell off the bones and tasted delicious.
I doubt that nowadays most households would have a pan (couldron) to replicate such a dish. I know we don't. :(
When I make Yorkshire pudding I usually make mini ones and try to have one left so I can have it with sugar on. Lovely.
I have also cooked a rabbit with carrots and onions in my slow cooker - as you say meat falls off the bones. I do the same with oxtail in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back