• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Railway infrastructure and engineering development

Heartland

master brummie
The building of the London & Birmingham Railway provided new challenges for the railway engineer. Robert Stephenson assembled a team of talented engineers to assist with the work. Amongst those people was Derby born, Charles Fox (1810-1874). Fox was involved with the Watford Tunnel and the rope worked incline at Camden down to Euston. Fox designed the iron roof over the original Euston Station and also that at Curzon Street. These were early examples of the iron truss pitch roof.

Fox was later in the partnership of Fox, Henderson & Co, who had a works at Smethwick adjacent to the Cape Arm of the Birmingham Canal. They provided the iron work for the roof of Birmingham New Street Station in 1854, which was a single span arch, for which A. E Cowper was the engineer. This roof was an early example of the arch roof.

This image of New Street Station is from the Railway & Historical Society Spence Collection. The roof details are clearly shown.

30026.jpg

Last edited:
Robert Stephenson....”His next great undertaking was the formation of the railway between London and Birmingham, a work of prodigious difficulty and anxiety. In examining the country to ascertain the best line, he walked the whole distance between London and Birmingham upwards of twenty times...”

Book of Days (1869)

Who needs catch up tv these days? It seems the same programmes are repeated every other week. It is a good job I don't have to pay to watch or I would be tempted to avoid tv. I think the programme refereed to is now doing its second round - well, it seems like that anyway.
An interesting comment I saw today was that Netflix are cancelling inactive accounts not that I have ever had one.

Who needs catch up tv these days? It seems the same programmes are repeated every other week. It is a good job I don't have to pay to watch or I would be tempted to avoid tv. I think the programme refereed to is now doing its second round - well, it seems like that anyway.
An interesting comment I saw today was that Netflix are cancelling inactive accounts not that I have ever had one.
Alan i have not watched the tv for a long time. I watch youtube on steam gone by. it is more interesting

Please could someone tell why the loco has the plough like things on the front below the buffers,are they ploughs?

Attachments

• Screenshot (15).png
    Screenshot (15).png
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
She has not always carried that running number. I don't know when the ploughs were fitted, they were not there when built, but my guess would be when she was based in Scotland. But as Truly of the Yard might say - he could be lying. ;)

She has not always carried that running number. I don't know when the ploughs were fitted, they were not there when built, but my guess would be when she was based in Scotland. But as Truly of the Yard might say - he could be lying. ;)
1592975981585.png

thanks for link Alan.
loads of thrash and clagging.... Turn up the volume,and rip off the knob:grinning::grinning:

Back