• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Park Lane...Aston

I was born October 1955, 3 back of 14 Park Lane Aston. We moved to Potters Green Coventry in 1959/1960.
I wasn't allowed out of our yard most of the time so I do not remember the Park lane view very well.
However I believe we were behind the last (Next to the car park) building standing. The house I was born in had been condemned long before I was born but was still being rented out. I still remember the house and the yard like it was yesterday. Mr & Mrs Basset Next Door. Auntie Chris and Uncle Reg Bailey Diagonally Opposite. Mr and Mrs Warr opposite With the passage to Park Lane between them. The 4 Outside Toilets With the Sunday paper in 6inch squares hanging from a nail. And the wash house. The yard was paved with bricks and had a Drain in the center The Bassets had a small fenced area with some sort of garden.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was born October 1955, 3 back of 14 Park Lane Aston. We moved to Potters Green Coventry in 1959/1960.
I wasn't allowed out of our yard most of the time so I do not remember the Park lane view very well.
However I believe we were behind the last (Next to the car park) building standing. The house I was born in had been condemned long before I was born but was still being rented out. I still remember the house and the yard like it was yesterday. Mr & Mrs Basset Next Door. Auntie Chris and Uncle Reg Bailey Diagonally Opposite. Mr and Mrs Warr opposite With the passage to Park Lane between them. The 4 Outside Toilets With the Sunday paper in 6inch squares hanging from a nail. And the wash house. The yard was paved with bricks and had a Drain in the center The Bassets had a small fenced area with some sort of garden.
Hello Gramdring. I was born a year before you & lived in potters lane. My grandparents lived in Park lane too. Just can not remember what number. All I do remember, was that it was not far away from the shareholders pub & we had to go from the street, up a long path to the front door. The houses were in a terrible state & they had a musty smell. I also remember the coal yard in park lane too. I do know my grandparents lived on the opposite side of the road to the shareholders. Maybe you remember them.

Moira Taylor who lived in the Shareholders posted this photograph of her and her parents cira 1962, on the astonbrook group we have on facebook.......
quote "Here's Mum and me with a pal of Dad's at the same point before the pub makeover. You can see the line of the same terraced houses on the left.. Must be 1961 as we moved in 62."

View attachment 127617
Lovely Photo and nice to see the people that lived in the Shareholders before my Mom and Dad took over the pub in 1967, Maud and Gerry Cooke.

Last edited:
OK - here are some more!
View attachment 89256The photo to the left was taken on 8[SUP]th [/SUP]September 1969. Number 2 Potter’s Hill has been demolished
(when?) - but surrounding houses are still almost identical to 50 years earlier. My interest in this corner plot is that it used to be a butchers and my great grandfather (Joseph Webster) was the butcher there in 1901. Notice the block of flats in the background – a terrible sign of things to come…

View attachment 89257View attachment 89258View attachment 89259

Next picture is looking down Park Lane in the 1920’s (with the butcher’s shop behind the camera to the left). Although 20 years before my dad’s birth his house would be about 250-300 yards on the left (lost in the smog!)

The middle picture was 'apparently' taken on the 21[SUP]st[/SUP] August 1957 and shows Potters Hill of to the left and looking down Park Lane to the right – dad’s house would have been 400-500 yards on the left.

Third picture (High Street and the Barton’s Arms behind us) – my dad’s entry to house on the left - just where the row of houses sit back (the outdoor just visible) – taken in the 1950s

More will follow next week.............
I believe that the one picture is of the old 'Shareholder Arms' with Potter Lane to the left and Potters Hill to the right before its redevelopment in the 60's, if so vary rare

OK - here are some more!
View attachment 89256The photo to the left was taken on 8[SUP]th [/SUP]September 1969. Number 2 Potter’s Hill has been demolished
(when?) - but surrounding houses are still almost identical to 50 years earlier. My interest in this corner plot is that it used to be a butchers and my great grandfather (Joseph Webster) was the butcher there in 1901. Notice the block of flats in the background – a terrible sign of things to come…

View attachment 89257View attachment 89258View attachment 89259

Next picture is looking down Park Lane in the 1920’s (with the butcher’s shop behind the camera to the left). Although 20 years before my dad’s birth his house would be about 250-300 yards on the left (lost in the smog!)

The middle picture was 'apparently' taken on the 21[SUP]st[/SUP] August 1957 and shows Potters Hill of to the left and looking down Park Lane to the right – dad’s house would have been 400-500 yards on the left.

Third picture (High Street and the Barton’s Arms behind us) – my dad’s entry to house on the left - just where the row of houses sit back (the outdoor just visible) – taken in the 1950s

More will follow next week.............
In the Middle Picture, just out of shot would have been the Shareholders Arms. This is a similar shot but years later

Attachments

• shareholders Arms Pk Ln 1960.png
    shareholders Arms Pk Ln 1960.png
    231.2 KB · Views: 44
carl your pic on post 86 is indeed the shareholders pub but its not the original one...my understanding is that it was demolished and the one in your pic was built to replace the original but i dont know if it was on the same spot...oh did you see the pic of burlington st school i posted for you..post 85...thanks for the map mike...

lyn
I cant be sure, but I do believe that this is picture of the old Shareholders arms, prior to redevelopment as if you compare it to some of the other pictures on here it would appear to be Potters Lane on the left

Attachments

• shareholders Arms Park lane.png
    shareholders Arms Park lane.png
    346 KB · Views: 29
Lovely Photo and nice to see the people that lived in the Shareholders before my Mom and Dad took over the pub in 1967, Maud and Gerry Cooke.
Super photo, though I do not remember the shareholders looking like this as I was too young. I know my grandad used to live opposite & used it regularly. Sadly, he passed away in 1965.

In the Middle Picture, just out of shot would have been the Shareholders Arms. This is a similar shot but years later
That is just how I remember the shareholders when I lived in potters lane,(next door to the chippy).My grand parents lived on the other side of the road where the advertising boarding is. They both passed away in the 60's.

Hi, this is a long shot, but here goes, I have received a copy of death certificates of my Great Grandmother children from her first marriage, her 1st child died in 1889 with the address of 2 Bell Place Park Lane Aston Manor and her second one died in 1892 with the address of Court 4 Park Lane Aston Manor - so would the full address be 2/4 Bell Place Park Lane Aston Manor, do you have any photos of Park Lane within these dates or a map showing where Bell Place would have been on Park Lane.

It is quite common to find the same place listed under a Court number or a court/place/terrace name. Originally the courts were all numbered, and many later were also given names. Assuming that court 4 is the same as Bell Place, then it is close to Aston High St and is marked in red on the map below. I cannot however definitely confirm that court 4 was also Bell Place (There is a Belle Vue Place much further up the road, but do not think the two could be confused)

map c1889 showing court 4 Park lane.jpg

It is quite common to find the same place listed under a Court number or a court/place/terrace name. Originally the courts were all numbered, and many later were also given names. Assuming that court 4 is the same as Bell Place, then it is close to Aston High St and is marked in red on the map below. I cannot however definitely confirm that court 4 was also Bell Place (There is a Belle Vue Place much further up the road, but do not think the two could be confused)

View attachment 145027
Thank you very much for this Map of where Bell Place Park Lane is, would this be close to the Shareholders Public house was.

View attachment 145027
Thank you for sharing this map. It clearly shows exactly where my grand parents lived (just across the road from the Shareholders pub). I lived just around the corner from them in Potters Lane, just up from the Barton's Arms.

Back