• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Then & Now

As for the Foden bus, see post 1515 of this thread:
Regarding the route, well I have no idea. I had never heard of Chelmsley Wood when I lived in the Solihull area. It was only when it often made news on tv that I became aware of it. Even so I always thought it south of Solihull, whereas it is NE of it I gather.

ROC5900R was an oddity in that it was a Foden. Was it a one off or were there more, I know like me this is beyond Alan's interests so can anyone fill in the details and how, what route, did the Chemsley Wood bus take?

Bob
97 used to load in Carrs Lane, then round Masshouse Circus, Moor Street, Digbeth, Meriden Street, Fazeley Street, Great Barr Street, Garrison Lane, past St Andrews, Bordesley Green past East Birmingham Hospital (now Heartlands Hospital) then Bordesley Green East, The Meadway, East Meadway, Tile Cross Road and Bosworth Drive and into Chelmsley Wood.

97 used to load in Carrs Lane, then round Masshouse Circus, Moor Street, Digbeth, Meriden Street, Fazeley Street, Great Barr Street, Garrison Lane, past St Andrews, Bordesley Green past East Birmingham Hospital (now Heartlands Hospital) then Bordesley Green East, The Meadway, East Meadway, Tile Cross Road and Bosworth Drive and into Chelmsley Wood.
Thank you
Bob

A previous 97 route was peak periods and limited stop. The PTE introduced this in mid 1972 and was operated to Castle Vale using Ford 192 saloon buses. Couple of demonstrators were also to be seen on the route. The 97 - 101 route numbers were used by the newly formed PTE for limited stop services at the time.

I don’t recall the 97 was ever a limited stop service. That was the old Midland Red 195 Cooks Lane service. This became 99 when PTE took over. The 98 went down Chelmsley Road and on to Marston Green and the 97 went down Bosworth Drive. 97, 98 and 99 replaced Midland Red 163, 169 and 195.

Well it was, there are photos to support it. I suggest the 97, in the post showing the Foden bus, was a later PTE route which would have presumably taken over from the limited stop single deck route.

That's the route i remember from when i lived in Chelmsley. Thanks Lumpammer.

Sorry but you are wrong. The 97 to Chelmsley Wood was never a limited stop bus.
If you read my posts 1584 and 1586 you will see I suggest that the earlier 97 I refer to was probably before the 97 you speak about. There re photos of the 97 limited stop Ford buses in Malcolm Keeley's book, Birmingham Buses - route by routs 1925 to 1975. Photographic evidence - before photoshopping is certainly evidence. That 97 route, as I pointed out, went to Castle Vale.

Last edited:
It seems the limited stop services were connected, in a way, with the Aston Expressway. The 97 limited stop started in 1972 to Castle Vale. I don't know the city starting point. There was a 98 to Kingstanding (limited stop) which started in 1968 (BCT days) which went via Six Ways, Aston. Also in BCT days, 1958, a limited stop to Tile Cross, numbered 99, ran but only for three months as there were congestion delays and the normal 14's became overcrowded and the 99's under used. Staff were not pleased. ;)
Another Limited Stop trial was on the Bristol Road in 1967, numbered 99, although the Bristol Road idea had first been considered in 1958. It was named Rubery Express, using the Fords, but being successful became a double deck operation.
All these LS routes were peak time services so may have not been as obvious as those on the regular services.
As Bob mentioned PTE matters are outside our interests so it is not easy to detail what eventually happened to these services. With the Midland Red amalgamation many routes out of the city were extended to combine previous BCT and MR services. Moreover the photographs of these limited stop buses generally show the city centre streets after demolitions and redevelopment which means I often do not recognise the buildings. Fortunately many of Elliot Browns present day photos do show - or mention some of the present day PTE service numbers. But, we do our best. :)
Having lived in Devon since 1954 I do have to rely on memory, based on having spent hours travelling around the city and its environs on trams, buses and bicycle, noting all transport interests. Books and other research materials are generally a good place for information and fact, however, as the 'find that bus location' proves things are not always as they seem to be. :eek:

Alan,

The old photo shows the corner of Stratford Place and Moseley Rd where the Golden Gloves was situated just opposite Chandos Rd and Highgate Park. I would hazard a guess that the photo dates from sometime in the early sixties before the club was opened. The color photo shows the location today and was taken from Google. As far as I am aware the Golden Gloves and the premises next door were demolished sometime in the last twenty years or so.
Hiya Phil, I have a vague memory of the Golden Gloves club. I went to Chandos Road school 1953 /1956 up to the age of 6. Then we left 4 back of 7 Ravenhurst street. The old back to back houses you gained access via an entry tunnel off Ravenhurst street which opened up into a yard with the toilet block down the middle of one side and the Washhouse in the corner complete with tub for washing and a mangle to squeeze out the excess water. Hard work for mothers of the day. My Grandfather lived a couple of doors from us and I remember being sent on an errand to get his accumulator acid batterie for his radio. We Had a cellar for Coal. Gas Lights and an old black range in the living room.
One other memory comes to mind Saturday matinee at the cinema along Mosley road. On the way back home we would have a penny dip of hot lard on a slice of bread with a bit of salt.from the cafe that was just before Higate park I think...

As for the Foden bus, see post 1515 of this thread:
Regarding the route, well I have no idea. I had never heard of Chelmsley Wood when I lived in the Solihull area. It was only when it often made news on tv that I became aware of it. Even so I always thought it south of Solihull, whereas it is NE of it I gather.
Hi there,
I wonder if you remember the Italian restaurant that was in Marston Green during the late 70s/early 80s?

Earlier in the thread there are pictures of the Perry Hall Gate Lodge
The Avenue, Perry Hall with the Gate Lodge.
index.php

Clivedon Avenue today viewed from the Walsall Road.
index.php
Another picture below of the lodge from different angle. The avenue behind the large gate leads off to the left and the Walsall Road is on the right. The well dressed lad out front appears to have a watch chain. The wires on those ten bar telegraph poles were probably connected to those passing the 'Great Barr Cottage' (famous on the BHF) two miles to the north.
LodgePerryHall.jpg

And the view today.
PerryHallLodgeNow.jpg

Last edited:
Earlier in the thread there are pictures of the Perry Hall Gate Lodge

Another picture below of the lodge from different angle. The avenue behind the large gate leads off to the left and the Walsall Road is on the right. The well dressed lad out front appears to have a watch chain. The wires on those ten bar telegraph poles were probably connected to those passing the 'Great Barr' cottage two miles to the north.
View attachment 144777

And the view today.
View attachment 144778
Great photos oldMohawk! Such a shame that change had to be made.................

Back