• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Remember Lozell's Street in 1930's

J

jude b

Hello, I'm new to the forum.
Does anyone out there remember Lozell's Street in the 1930's?
Please get in touch!
Jude b

Call I can comment is that my grandparents Gertrude & Leslie Fenton lived at No. 10 in 1930, would love to find out a bit more myself.

Call I can comment is that my grandparents Gertrude & Leslie Fenton lived at No. 10 in 1930, would love to find out a bit more myself.

hi and welcome to the forum..sorry to say that no 10 no longer exists..it was demolished and new housing built on the ground..my gt gran also lived in lozells st in 1911 and luckily that house is still there

lyn

hi and welcome to the forum..sorry to say that no 10 no longer exists..it was demolished and new housing built on the ground..my gt gran also lived in lozells st in 1911 and luckily that house is still there

lyn
Thank you Lyn, at least I can confirm that fact in my records. I will just keep searching and watching for any photos that may appear.

later on i will search my old photo files and see if there is one of that end of lozells st before it was demolished...its a shame really because as far as i can tell all of the houses still remain apart from about 6 of them one being no 10 but i will double check this for you after dinner

lyn

later on i will search my old photo files and see if there is one of that end of lozells st before it was demolished...its a shame really because as far as i can tell all of the houses still remain apart from about 6 of them one being no 10 but i will double check this for you after dinner

lyn
Thank you that's very kind.

Cheryl

Hello, my great grandmother was called Gertrude Fenton and lived in Lozells. I don't know exact dates but it would've been around the 30s.
My grandfather was Stanley Joseph Fenton. He had siblings but I think I can only recall the names of two (Wilf and Steve (I may have mixed this last one up with my Grandmother's family).

Hello, my great grandmother was called Gertrude Fenton and lived in Lozells. I don't know exact dates but it would've been around the 30s.
My grandfather was Stanley Joseph Fenton. He had siblings but I think I can only recall the names of two (Wilf and Steve (I may have mixed this last one up with my Grandmother's family).

Your grandfather appears to have just the one sister, Irene Gertrude b1916. His parents, Joseph and Gertrude appear to be listed at 11 Bracebridge St on the ERs up to 1935 and at 8 Hidson St in 1939.

Surmising a little but if your grandmother was Margaret Hallett, she appears to have had only 2 sisters, Joan (died young) and Dorothy.

Your grandfather appears to have just the one sister, Irene Gertrude b1916. His parents, Joseph and Gertrude appear to be listed at 11 Bracebridge St on the ERs up to 1935 and at 8 Hidson St in 1939.

Surmising a little but if your grandmother was Margaret Hallett, she appears to have had only 2 sisters, Joan (died young) and Dorothy.
Hello,
Thank you for that but I think I was not as clear as I should have been (long day!). My grandfather was Stanley Joseph Fenton and his mother was Gertrude. I can't remember the name of her husband/my grandfather's dad.
My grandad definitely had a brother called Wilfred but the names of the others have been lost through the sieve of my memory.

Hello,
Thank you for that but I think I was not as clear as I should have been (long day!). My grandfather was Stanley Joseph Fenton and his mother was Gertrude. I can't remember the name of her husband/my grandfather's dad.
My grandad definitely had a brother called Wilfred but the names of the others have been lost through the sieve of my memory.

No probs, second attempt.

William Joseph b1915, son of Fred and Gertrude Elizabeth (nee Bill) Fenton.

Siblings May Elizabeth, Frederick Thomas, Harold George, Horace Edward, Winifred Gertrude and Wilfred Denis.

How interesting! Thank you for your time to find all that.
My Grandad, Stanley Joseph Fenton was born on November 27th 1916 and, as far as I know, not ever named William. Who knows though? Not beyond possibility that these two people could be the same person.
The name Winifred certainly rings a bell.
Ah, if only they were all still here to ask!
Thank you again for your time

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
How interesting! Thank you for your time to find all that.
My Grandad, Stanley Joseph Fenton was born on November 27th 1916 and, as far as I know, not ever named William. Who knows though?

Sorry, a typo on my part, it is Stanley Joseph.

He was listed at 12 Starcross Road in 1939 with parents and a couple of siblings.

Only just come across this thread. My Auntie Ollie [Olivier Wiggins] lived in Lozells Street. Not sure if it was 92/96. I was only little when we used to visit her regularly during the 1930s and onwards. My eldest cousin Marjorie got married during the early years of the war. She had her wedding dress and bridesmaid dresses hanging up on the picture rail the night before her wedding and there was a bomb dropped nearby and all the dresses were covered with dust and debris. Not sure if I'm right in this but I think St Pauls Church on the Lozells Road where she was getting married, was also hit

Back