• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

kirby

I have connections to the Kirby family both on my Fathers & Mothers side.

Susannah Elizabeth Kirby 1835 – 1890 married my great grandfather Edwin Clarke in 1864.

Birmingham or Aston unless stated

William Kirby 1814 - 1871.

William Kirby 1787 - 1848

William Kirby 1751 Sheldon died 1824 in Birmingham, Warwickshire.

Thomas Kirby 1721 - 1767 in Sheldon, Warwickshire.

John Kerby 1691 - 1746 in Sheldon, Warwickshire.

Thomas Kerby was born About 1658 and died 1746 in Sheldon, Warwickshire.

My mother’s eldest brother married a Kirby; her father was John Kirby 1885 – 1955 Birmingham

John Kirby 1862 - 1895 Birmingham

Joseph Kirby 1824 - 1884 Aston

Charles Kirby 1804 Birmingham

Joseph Kirby 1775 - 1818 in Birmingham

Collins Kirby 1734 in Benington, Hertfordshire - 1789 in Birmingham

Joseph Kirby 1701 in Ardeley, Hertfordshire.

William Kirby 1669 in Ware, Hertfordshire.

George Kirby?

Regards

Clarkie

Clarkie,

Your relative John Kirby might be a link. Was he living close to Snowhill, central B'ham?

I'm not sure what period you are referring to but unlikely I think.

1911 - 6 Holly Place Cattell Road, Aston
John a Tin Plate Worker had been married 4 years, 3 children 1 died.
Sheet Metal Worker 1935.

Clarkie

There was a Kirby family living in Bridle Lane, Streetly in 1942. It included a little girl named Rita, born in the mid-1930s.

Chris

If I have the correct Rita she was born in Walsall in 1937, her father was Cyril Kirby, mother Evelyn Tolley. This Rita had 2 sisters & 1 brother.

Cyril was the youngest of 8 children, his parents were John Kirby (Born about 1879, a Saddler) wife Annie Dallaway married St Paul’s, Walsall 5 Aug 1899.

WW1 - Served in 10th Army Aux (Horse) Coy.

Not connected to my Kirby’s.

Clarkie

Hi jackie
Just received your E mail on asking for info, on kirbys of Aston and king Edwards Road
And i have just strolled through some old threads asking about there Lorry
Firstly i will try and find time today to dig it out and send it to you or down load it
When it was in kingedwards road out side there
They come from around the Hockley area and your great Grand parents did
On the subject of king edwards they bought there big yard which they accertained
From the previous owner from a firm called Wakelins, they was a builders merchants
Whom there offices was in springfield street just around the corner from the yard
On the subject of king edwards road as well ,and the family had a big fall out
With them and huge argument where most of the older brothers went across and there
Fued in the street it was like a war zone police was called and the house windows
Was complete smashed it went on for a couple of days the argueing
But afew months later they resolved there problem.and things settled down
I do know what it was about but i will not publish on open forum
There is alot of info i have as i knew the older generations of the family
There is of course alot of younger generations of the ,kirbys knocking about
Years later whom was growing up in and around the Winson green area around
The sixtys and seventys era which i recall briefely the mention of tim he was one lf the juniors
Member of the family i do not mean he was a minor he would have been in is late twentys then
I also know quite afew of there old assocates from the years gone bye
In later years Tim, openend up is own yard and bussiness in speedwell road Hay mills
Jackie i have to cut short now but i will come back to you later in the day
As i have some important Bussiness i Have to do as i also run a bussiness
Around the corner from Timms old yard best wishes Astonian
Thanks, sounds very interesting.

Hi jackie
Just received your E mail on asking for info, on kirbys of Aston and king Edwards Road
And i have just strolled through some old threads asking about there Lorry
Firstly i will try and find time today to dig it out and send it to you or down load it
When it was in kingedwards road out side there
They come from around the Hockley area and your great Grand parents did
On the subject of king edwards they bought there big yard which they accertained
From the previous owner from a firm called Wakelins, they was a builders merchants
Whom there offices was in springfield street just around the corner from the yard
On the subject of king edwards road as well ,and the family had a big fall out
With them and huge argument where most of the older brothers went across and there
Fued in the street it was like a war zone police was called and the house windows
Was complete smashed it went on for a couple of days the argueing
But afew months later they resolved there problem.and things settled down
I do know what it was about but i will not publish on open forum
There is alot of info i have as i knew the older generations of the family
There is of course alot of younger generations of the ,kirbys knocking about
Years later whom was growing up in and around the Winson green area around
The sixtys and seventys era which i recall briefely the mention of tim he was one lf the juniors
Member of the family i do not mean he was a minor he would have been in is late twentys then
I also know quite afew of there old assocates from the years gone bye
In later years Tim, openend up is own yard and bussiness in speedwell road Hay mills
Jackie i have to cut short now but i will come back to you later in the day
As i have some important Bussiness i Have to do as i also run a bussiness
Around the corner from Timms old yard best wishes Astonian
Cheers

Hi Elly,

I am related you your Kirby's, my great great grandfather was James Kirby, brother to Joseph Kirby, meaning your great great grandmother Emma, was my great grandmother Alice's cousin.

James's daughter Alice married Samuel Jones and had my grandfather Joseph Jones in 1899, they are on the 1901 census, but within a couple of years Alice married again to a Williams and had more children, Samuel seems to disappear here but I'm still looking ( bit of a family mystery that needs solving!)

My family tree is on Ancestry.com and I have managed to trace many Kirby's and also link up with other tree's that contain them.

Nice to meet you :)

Deborah
That's really interesting, wonder if we are related, would love to find some of my family, as mum and dad are gone now.

Hi l know a Keith Kirby who was with me in Brum Mounted Police in the 1970s he would have been about 35yrs

Hi do beleive Alice and kathy did come to kingedwards road for a period of time
In the early years of moving up to kingedwards road ladywood
After taking over there new yard that belong to wakeing the builders merchants
They lived across the road from our house facing each other
As i said there is pictures of there yard and lorries and our house in view
On the sites our mom uxed to make them tea until they got themselves a new office
Installed in there yard beleive me there was alot of activitie they was a great family
I will come back to you as soon as i can, only at this time in motion
I have alot of family problems going on around me which i am trying to get my head around
I know its ylur family,and just thought i would mention there was another kirby young couple
Whom was also living in kingedwards road a matter of yards from there yard
But these was a young couple with two kids and ne worked for the water board
So did his son,, I know the kirby family i am referring to his your family
From aston and farm street please bear with me on this
Best wishes Astonian,,,,

Hi l know a Keith Kirby who was with me in Brum Mounted Police in the 1970s he would have been about 35yrs

Samuel E Kirby married Nellie E Perks in 1932 Birmingham South.

They had 8 children including Keith. Samuel was born Kings Norton at the end of 1911.

Clarkie

So that may well have been the same Keith Kirby who l served with then

If he was born in Birmingham and was about 35 in the mid-1970s, he seems to be the only one.
There were others of that name born Birmingham much earlier or later. If he was born elsewhere in England there were other possibilities.

Clarkie

lm sure he was a brummie he had the accent and you dont have that if your not a real one

Hi clarkie
I have just been reading your Threads on kirby and perks do you think you could enlighted us abit more info
On this family of perks do you have any dates of marriage or childrens names for them
Because my generrations on the tree of perks originste from the south side and kings norton
Way back in and around that period and i would like to hear more about the Nellie edith perks
Especialy as there was an edith perks within my mothers trees family
One of the older generation of perks was a grand mother to a young lady named gaynor
And daughter edith and there was one with a christian name some think and edith was her second christian name
And surname perks , this could be some think or not some tnink to mean to me
I have never gone that far back with the perks but i sure would love to know
I will get my reference notes out and cross check the two ladys i have got hold off
Also i do know alot of the kirbys old generation, going back in time best wishes Astonian,,,,

We are straying off topic here Alan but Samuel Kirby married Nellie Emily Perks( not Edith) b 1914 .

Have no fear Alberta, I will have a look for a Nellie E Perks, in case there is more than one, then I will reply to Alan direct.

Clarkie

hiya astonian
sounds like you know a lot about the hockley area, especially around ford st. i dont know much about the kirby's at all but this may help pinpoint which family you associated with.

my father was named colin hugh kirby, he was as i said in the police around his 20's, he was also a harmonica player and won a few medals in an international competion in germany, both as a solo and in a group of harmonica players - havent a clue what they where called, i know he took my mother - maybe before i was born, or not long after, i was born 1957 so it was around that time, my mother was called eunice mary howell, her father was called edwin, she had 3 sisters - maureen, joan, and jeanette. they all lived in ford st, i dont really know where my father lived or any of the other relatives.

does any of this ring a bell

thanks
pcm
I knew a Colin Kirby who lived in Adelaide, South Australia in the 1960s. He was an expert harmonica player and regularly appeared on a TV show called Adelaide Tonight. He also worked for an insurance company and I met him numerous times.
I think he may have been a British imigrant.

Hi, not sure if any of you are still active. In any case I would love to hear from those that have connections with the Kirby family. I have traced my family line to the late 1800's and have some interesting news paper clippings. My connection is via Sydney Derek Kirby (father), Arthur Kirby (grand father) and James Kirby (great grand father).
The family are from Hurst street area of brum and were involved in fish (monger or chippy). I also have connected Eliza in the family.
Hi I have just found this site , it’s brilliant my great grandfather was James Kirby and my great grandmother was Annie . I am really interested in any family history info you have as I can only go back this far . Sadly my father Barry Cox died 6 years ago so I have no one to ask about his side of the family . I have found reading these emails fascinating thanks in anticipation

Back