• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

There was a time when many buses, particularly of larger operators, gave a good clue about local vehicle registrations.

Don’t know about Dodds? Sparks, but it’s that row of shops in the picture all the way up to the island.

Oh sorry - I wasn't sure what picture you were referring to! Found it now and yes, it's where I thought. I guess that's because of the Commonwealth Games village coming so I'm not surprised really.

Hi True Brummie

Have you or do you know of any photos of Holborn hill around the 1950's? Im looking for my mother-in-law who has terminal cancer? She would like to walk down memory lane from where she grew up as a child.

i will have a look for you and post them for you if i can help..

lyn

The original Ring O Bells was opposite Yardley Church, the dark building. It was moved away from the church, because of protests about alcohol being served so close to the church. The same thing happened with The Ring O Bells, opposite St Giles Sheldon.
I have put a number of pics of old Yardley village for example on facebooks east birmingham past and present. What did you mean by "the dark building"? The building that was once the Cottagers Institute is supposed to have been built on the site of the Ring O Bells after there were complaints about alcohol being sold close to the church. The pub moved further along Church Rd to the site next to the Nunnery where it remained, being replaced with a new bldg in 1939. This was burned down (surprise surprise) and housing built on the site.
There is another bldg which looks like an old inn but it has been pain
The original Ring O Bells was opposite Yardley Church, the dark building. It was moved away from the church, because of protests about alcohol being served so close to the church. The same thing happened with The Ring O Bells, opposite St Giles Sheldon.

The C.C of the Isle of Ely registrations for 1939 started at JE4723 and finished at JE5439, which would fit with the Morris 8 Series E. The first “six digit“ plate, ie AJExxx, was May 1948, and suffix marks, ie AJExxxB commenced 1/4/1964. The authority also used the letters EB, between 1904 and 1933, recommending at AEBxxx in August 1947.

As a new boy here, if anyone wants a British car plate dating, or a British car from the past identifying, I’ll be happy to try.

My own car is NOLxxx, Birmingham, June 1953.

Cheers jfs

Back