• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lordswood Boys' Technical School

Hi All

Recently came across the thread, spent a while trying to clear the cobwebs away.

I too followed the path of many contributors here. Passed my 11plus exam in 1964 at Quinton CofE primary, then attended LBGTS from 1964 to 1971. Many happy years there, so many friends made I have unfortunately lost touch with all of them sadly.

Liked science, (strange I know), mercati was my form-master when I started there (followed the usual path + lower and upper sixth form). Chemistry lab was amazing there, no health and safety there at that time, particularly remember such delights as fuming bromine, hydrofluoric and sulphuric acids in stoppered glass bottles. Froggy Hepton good teacher, didn't want to annoy him though.........Mr Pearson(tat) was inspirational, especially after drawing DNA replication in colored chalk across 3 blackboards,(no mean feat!!) I particularly remember the axolotl tank + drosophila fruit flies + many dissections in biology, Mr woods for physics.......the van de-graf generator he had was particularly impressive, he could also build amazing valve amps! Remember the gold leaf electroscope! (Who knew!...spent 46yrs as a biomedical scientist after leaving Lordswood.....my entire working life in a pathology lab....never seen another gold leaf electroscope!!)

Won't ramble on much longer, but particularly liked the model plane club, (harrington), driving the minis around the south playground......oh yes and the record player in the sixth form common room. (Led Zep. 1 just released when I was a sixth former!) Many fond memories, wasn't much fun though doing rugby on a frozen metchley lane pitch....the showers froze regularly, also remember swimming at Harbourne baths. Good school mostly.....set me on a career as a medical scientists.

Left the school and went on to North B'ham Polytechnic, then Bristol University to study biochemistry.

Often wonder if any of the old boys from 3/4/5 alpha, L&U sixth are still around?

Kindest regards Steve Harper.

Still have my blazer, and here is the school badge, complete with 'colts colours' for rugby service, awarded in 1976.

Attachments

• 20200411_134913.jpg
    20200411_134913.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
Thanks for the link to the magazine - that'll be a good read for later on today I used to have a full set of the magazines for the time I was there Sep 60- Jul 67 but over the years since, my first one, 1961 and my last, 1967, have disappeared - loaned out and not returned I fear. I see that you have a 1960 and a 1968 magazine - don't suppose you have the 61 and 67 in your Dropbox collection?

Bill Burton

Yes, that is always the way. You loan them out and forget who 'borrowed' them.

Unfortunately, I have only the 1960 and the 1969 ones. They are both before my time (74-81), but I saved them from being thrown away when I was there. Who would have conceived that I would be posting a digital copy of it over 40 years later, on a history forum with a thread dedicated to our school.

I was there quite a bit later than the other people on here. I was there from 1985-90, in the Bessemer house. Mr Lee(Music) was still there as well as Mr Long (German) and Mr Rhodes(Science). It was quite funny as Mr Long was almost bald by then, however we had to address him as Herr Long. Memorable teachers where Mr Husson(History), Mr Price(Physics), Mrs Openshaw(Biology) and Mr Billington(Art) who was also my form teacher. Mr Smith(P.E.) ..... (edit)

Many of you on here mentioned the observatory, it wasn't there when I started, it burnt down a couple of years before I heard.

It will be quite sad to see the old place go, but to be honest it looked pretty tired when i was there 30 years ago.

I would be interesting to hear from anyone else that was there in the 80s.

Does anyone else remember reciting with Mr Long: Ich, Du, Ehr, Sie, es, vier, ihr sie, Sie (please forgive the spelling).

Last edited by a moderator:
I was there quite a bit later than the other people on here. I was there from 1985-90, in the Bessemer house. Mr Lee(Music) was still there as well as Mr Long (German) and Mr Rhodes(Science). It was quite funny as Mr Long was almost bald by then, however we had to address him as Herr Long. Memorable teachers where Mr Husson(History), Mr Price(Physics), Mrs Openshaw(Biology) and Mr Billington(Art) who was also my form teacher. Mr Smith(P.E.) was also memorable for being a bully, especially picking on the younger kids.

Many of you on here mentioned the observatory, it wasn't there when I started, it burnt down a couple of years before I heard.

It will be quite sad to see the old place go, but to be honest it looked pretty tired when i was there 30 years ago.

I would be interesting to hear from anyone else that was there in the 80s.

Does anyone else remember reciting with Mr Long: Ich, Du, Ehr, Sie, es, vier, ihr sie, Sie (please forgive the spelling).
[/

Hi John We're getting more info from the original intake, for a while I was the only one. Keith Harrison is now posting as well. I don't know how memory works but your liking for HP sauce has always been there not recently dredged up. The posts help to clear some of the cobwebs. You mentioned Paul Latchem, he was my badminton partner. We managed to have a school team without any staff involvement. I think it was Pete Dawes and Rich Gledhill (?) in the year above us who started that. We were only second to Kings Heath who had Paul Whetnall (later internalional and Canadian national coach), a bit good. We even had a mixed team with the Lordswood girls. My partner was Madeline Hession. Megan Woods also played, went out with her for a while. I'm in York and still mainly involved in photography. Have you any if the form photos? I'll stop now and post more soon, now that I'm getting 2 step verification emails again! Cheers Phil
Hi John
We're getting more info from the original intake, for a while I was the only one. Keith Harrison is now posting as well. I don't know how memory works but your liking for HP sauce has always been there not recently dredged up. The posts help to clear some of the cobwebs.
You mentioned Paul Latchem, he was my badminton partner.
We managed to have a school team without any staff involvement. I think it was Pete Dawes and Rich Gledhill (?) in the year above us who started that. We were only second to Kings Heath who had Paul Whetnall (later internalional and Canadian national coach), a bit good. We even had a mixed team with the Lordswood girls. My partner was Madeline Hession. Megan Woods also played, went out with her for a while.
I'm in York and still mainly involved in photography. Have you any if the form photos?
I'll stop now and post more soon, now that I'm getting 2 step verification emails again!
Cheers
Phil
Hi Phil
Do not seem to be getting alerts, so only just seen this. Went to Surrey Uni with Paul and shared flats with him. Is that him 2 row from top on right in 5T photo ?
I am “stuck” in the US at the moment, but have now got flight home.
I have some photos, but I was in the S stream, so may not include you. Will look them out when home.
The one of 5T was a memory jogger as ,like you, I met in the sixth form.
I think it is too late a photo, but is that Roger Tonge bottom right ?
Went to Kalsi’s house once and his mom gave us Asian snacks, a real treat and “novelty” for us at that time. I wonder were he is now.

Hello everyone. I have enjoyed reading all the memories on here. I was a 2nd year intake when the school opened in 1957 placed in form 2D, and left in 1961. My first form master was Gil Jones, P.E. Master. My house was Telford. Good memories of Mr Reinstein, maths, Mr Hawkridge, history, Mr Davies, geography and many more. I am still in touch with a few old school pals. I must dig out some class photos and post them on here.
Hi Don
Just looking through older messages and saw yours.
I wonder if you remember me. I was Telford House Vice Captain the same time as you were there. I was better known as “titch Horton”.

Time flies!! Lordswood Grammar Technical School for Girls was only a few years old when I was there!! Are there any plans to rebuild/replace it?
rosie.
Hi Rosie
Just been looking back at messages and saw yours.
I remember the girls school being built. We, the boys were very excited- girls over the field !!
I seem to remember the home times being staggered so we theoretically didn’t mix. That worked well !!!!.
Do remember a girl, I think was Head Girl called Rowena, ****** (Edit)?
I also remember the dances at your school where we were allowed over.
The only other time over there was when I and others from the Gym Club demonstrated the trampoline.
Happy days.

I have just stumbled across this. It has brought back so many memories! I was there from 1962 - 1967 and I think started in form 1F and was in Telford. I came from Our Lady and St Rose of Lima primary school in Weoley Castle. I enjoyed my time at the school and ended up with 5 decent GCEs. I didn't stay on for the 6th form as at the time I needed to become financially independent. I remember for maths my class being part of the Midland Mathematical Experiment. Does anyone remember this? It comprised being taught complex maths (Sets and vectors, Boolian Algebra, etc), which frankly I strugged with and there was a neglect of more conventional mathematics. Fortunately I scraped a grade 1 CSE in maths (GCE pass equivalent). I initially did a technical apprenticeship and I remember not having a clue as to what was going on during the first ONC maths lecture at Mathew Boulton Technical College. The lecturer recommended some maths books and I had to teach myself. I managed to cope with the maths and went on to get HNC in Engineering and some years later a BSc degree in Mechanical Engineering. I have fond memories of many the teachers mentioned, in particular Messrs George and Betts, (Metalwork), Harrington, (Technical Drawing) who also gave me a lift to school, Checkley (English), Hawkridge (History) who was a complete case and Long (German) who insisted on being called Herr Lang! The games teacher was a welshman called Mr Jones. I remember once having a bad cold and on presenting him with a sick note from my Dad ahead of rugby his response being "...get your kit on!" The headmaster, Derek Harkness, was tough but fair. During my time there myself and a friend managed to make a key that opened every door in the school. I won't say how we did it but we got rumbled by some prefects and were taken to see Harkness. We were interviewed separately and he concluded, correctly, that we had done it as a technical challenge and actually congratulated us on our ingenuity whilst at the same time promising us with expulsion if we did it again!

Last edited:
I was there from '62 to 66 or '67. Much of it's a blur. I passed exam to get in Mosely school of art, but due to beatnik's reputation Dad decided I shouldn't. BUT, I had a great time in art under the wonderful Mr. Hart. I remember he played Miles Davis in the background and he was dapper. Also Mr. Pearson for physics, one heck of a cool guy. He gave me a book 'Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Sex but Were Afraid To Ask'. He had the idea I was girl crazy, which was true. I was the scruff, hence the name FagEnd. But I was in a band and mostly interested in music and art. When I was there it was hyphenated Technical-Grammar school. There were some great teachers, and some disinterested ones. One knocked me down the stairs once when I was giving him a message from another teacher........

I left early, never went back for GCEs and soon joined a rock band and travelled the World. I worked for Miles Davis (thank you Mr. Hart), and many other famous names as a technician, and/or drummer, and as a ligger in the film business! Mr George in metalwork spent so much time telling stories in his sweet welsh accent that come exam time, no one had enough pieces to display. So he 'lent' us pieces from his storeroom. Needless to say we all passed. I had no interest in metalwork at all until the age of 55 when I inherited a metalwork business which is still running! Does anyone remember Mr Macari or Mr White? Or the Albino geography teacher Mr. McGhee was it?

Hi All> New to the site. Marvellous what 'lockdown' does. Thanks for the memories I loved the school (Sept61-June66 - 1f; 2f; 3b; 4b; 5b) and hardly missed a day but not for the academic bits. I was into sport and so was the school. Even the bad times were good (well ok anyway) I had six of the best **** (Edit) after my only appearance for the Rugby first team. I swore (oh my f*****g head) after it was caved in by a massive left winger coming full steam at me. I remember Paul Turley well. I opened the school batting with him many times and later played with him for Lordswood FC, an outside school football team, managed by Bob Taylor who was a year older than us. Paul was an excellent all rounder and please pass on my regards. Does anyone remember playing for Warley Park Rangers managed by David Butler? We used to train in Lightwoods Park in the holidays. George Foley played sometimes I think as did Steve Skidmore, Steve Curtis, Ray Brassington and Malcom Argyll amonst others. Malcom Argyll was from Weoley Castle and we played football together for John Hills brothers team in Handsworth on a Saturday afternoon and later worked together in Engineering. We went on holiday to Butlins in 66 with Steve Curtis and missed the World Cup final. Most of the teachers were ok but Mr. Thomson, the Scots maths teacher, was the best for me. He would ask a question and if you didn't get it correct he would say 'I don't think so T***s in a broad accent. There have been so many memories and stories and some of them I have dined out on for years. I have seen Ada Bolton many times at the races where he was part of an on course Bookmaking joint. Remember lads some of you are only 69 but most like me are 70 so stay safe in these unusual times. Let me know if you remember some of the lads I have mentioned.

Hi Rosie
Just been looking back at messages and saw yours.
I remember the girls school being built. We, the boys were very excited- girls over the field !!
I seem to remember the home times being staggered so we theoretically didn’t mix. That worked well !!!!.
Do remember a girl, I think was Head Girl called Rowena, **** (Edit)?
I also remember the dances at your school where we were allowed over.
The only other time over there was when I and others from the Gym Club demonstrated the trampoline.
Happy days.
I remember during my time (1962 - 67) that at one point the girls and the boys congregated in wild abandon on the playing field that separated the two schools. It was all quickly brought under control and the following day a small group of lads made the walk of shame to the girls school to return certain undergarments. No doubt that they had been thoroughly wacked beforehand.

Hi All> New to the site. Marvellous what 'lockdown' does. Thanks for the memories I loved the school (Sept61-June66 - 1f; 2f; 3b; 4b; 5b) and hardly missed a day but not for the academic bits. I was into sport and so was the school. Even the bad times were good (well ok anyway) I had six of the best off Harkness after my only appearance for the Rugby first team. I swore (oh my f*****g head) after it was caved in by a massive left winger coming full steam at me. I remember Paul Turley well. I opened the school batting with him many times and later played with him for Lordswood FC, an outside school football team, managed by Bob Taylor who was a year older than us. Paul was an excellent all rounder and please pass on my regards. Does anyone remember playing for Warley Park Rangers managed by David Butler? We used to train in Lightwoods Park in the holidays. George Foley played sometimes I think as did Steve Skidmore, Steve Curtis, Ray Brassington and Malcom Argyll amonst others. Malcom Argyll was from Weoley Castle and we played football together for John Hills brothers team in Handsworth on a Saturday afternoon and later worked together in Engineering. We went on holiday to Butlins in 66 with Steve Curtis and missed the World Cup final. Most of the teachers were ok but Mr. Thomson, the Scots maths teacher, was the best for me. He would ask a question and if you didn't get it correct he would say 'I don't think so T***s in a broad accent. There have been so many memories and stories and some of them I have dined out on for years. I have seen Ada Bolton many times at the races where he was part of an on course Bookmaking joint. Remember lads some of you are only 69 but most like me are 70 so stay safe in these unusual times. Let me know if you remember some of the lads I have mentioned.
Good morning Taffy T - we did our time together albeit in different streams. All of the names you mention are familiar, the only ones I'm in touch with are Paul Turley and Dave Shelton. Paul is aware of the forum but hasn't posted. I'll text him and let him know you've arrived!! I was the baby of the year and don't hit 70 until the end of August. Hope you are keeping well and safe in these strange times.

Morning Roger - Great you are in touch with some of the lads. I remember Dave Shelton well. He was in our German set and sat next to John Hill. Forget the teachers name but he couldn't control us unfortunately and my language skills went down the pan as a result. Ask Dave if he remembers when we all agreed to drop each other in it so to speak during these lessons. On one occasion Hill was playing up throwing things around the room whilst the teacher had his back turned. He suspected Hill so asked him if it was him. Hill denied this very verbally. Shelton then said 'It was Hill sir'. We all fell about laughing. Even Hill and the teacher couldn't keep a straight face. Unfortunately Hill ended up in detention and wasn't happy about that though. It was good fun but we didn't carry on after that. There were lots of stories like that and I must look strange to people when I am walking down the street and suddenly smiling for no reason as these fond memories come to the front of my mind. Stay safe lads. Speak soon. TT

Hi Vic - Yes I was and so sad to hear of his passing. He was a nice lad. His desk was close to me in the form class.

Agree Paul Turley was an excellent right winger, very fast with a hard shot. Scored loads of goals.

Thomson did have a bit of a temper but normally you would have to wind him up a lot before he lost it. As you say it was an accident. Sounds right don't think he would do it on purpose - not that sort of teacher. Very serious but professional. Hope the finger is still ok.

Speak soon and stay safe - TT

I remember during my time (1962 - 67) that at one point the girls and the boys congregated in wild abandon on the playing field that separated the two schools. It was all quickly brought under control and the following day a small group of lads made the walk of shame to the girls school to return certain undergarments. No doubt that they had been thoroughly wacked beforehand.
In the early days the space between the schools and that further away from Lordswood Road was just rough fields. We were sent for cross-country runs across there. When building work first began in about 1961 the space became covered in thick mud. I can remember some lads who broke rules to venture to the area via the side of the playground being spotted by Hepton from the top floor. They received a few strokes from the Beak! No collaboration at all with the girls was permitted in the early days.

Hi delboy66 - Haha yes remember it well. When the football went down the slope from the playground at play or dinnertime the person who kicked down had to run the gauntlet with 'froggy'. Some went down the exit path towards Lordswood Road and then crept along the edge of the field to retrieve the ball. Happy days lads. Stay safe TT

Hi delboy66 - Haha yes remember it well. When the football went down the slope from the playground at play or dinnertime the person who kicked down had to run the gauntlet with 'froggy'. Some went down the exit path towards Lordswood Road and then crept along the edge of the field to retrieve the ball. Happy days lads. Stay safe TT
Hi Taffy T Yes I had forgotten about the problem of the ball frequently going over the edge and down the slope. An odd thing was that the school designated itself as a 'rugby' school and would have nothing to do with football. The games masters would not even talk about it. Playing football in the playground was supposedly banned but it went on anyway as long as the ball was not too big. Most of the lads joined in. The best balls to use were cheap hard plastic ones about 4 to 5 inches in diameter that did not cause a problem if they hit the windows. Cheers D

Morning Delboy and Roger - Yes football was taboo because of Jones the head of PE. I think he did the school a disservice as a lot of the lads were very good footballers and some would have made the district team at least when in the fifth year. I remember seeing the Kings Norton team play at Wallace Road playing fields near my home and thinking that Warley Park Rangers would beat them!! Certainly the 'school team' Lordswood FC who Paul Turley played for would have done. That team went on to win an all Birmingham Youth U17 cup final played at Villa Park. Paul had a 'blinder' and I believe man of the match. Roger try to get Paul to scribe his memories of that match. It would be interesting. Also remember VE day tomorrow lads because without the brave men and women who served during that time we probably wouldn't be here. Stay safe and remember them. Taffy T.

Back