• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lucas Parties & Pantomimes

'Works' Christmas parties for the children of employees were done by several company's. I remembers going to several over the years including Lucas, and at the GEC riverworks. They were great, kids entertainment, magicians, punch and Judy, sandwiches cut into quarters, trifle in plastic trays with a cherry on the top, fruit cocktail and a Christmas present at the end.

'Works' Christmas parties for the children of employees were done by several company's. I remembers going to several over the years including Lucas, and at the GEC riverworks. They were great, kids entertainment, magicians, punch and Judy, sandwiches cut into quarters, trifle in plastic trays with a cherry on the top, fruit cocktail and a Christmas present at the end.

happy days mort..i went to quite a few christmas parties when dad worked a lucas gks...

lyn

works xmass partys I used to take my daughter, me as a helper. 3 coach loads of kids off to the panto at Coventry the back to works for nosh then throu the grotto to ss farher christmass for a prese. this was at college road. good times were had by all involved.

Re: Christmas Parties at the Serck

My late father worked at Serck Rads for decades retired in 1980. I remember going to a panto with Cliff Richard singing "she wears red feathers and a hoole hoole skirt..." I think ? circa late 60s early 70s

I went to the Lucas parties, as my dad was an employee there. I think you were entitled to attend for three years running, and I was probably about 8, 9 an 10 years old. They used the massive theatre / ballroom that had been built in the fifties, which had a full stage and lighting. There was a show, complete with a group, magician and so on, followed by tea in the staff restaurant. I recall that the tea consisted of miniature cakes and pastries, sausage rolls and sandwiches. After that, it was back to the theatre for a cartoon show. The last event was visiting Santa's grotto, where we were all given a present. The presents weren't rubbish, either, but must have cost a fair bit. All a long time ago.

I love this forum, just discovered it last night. I used to go to the school, opposite Gt King St, Lucas. Hampton Primary School, anyone remember it? I used to go to the xmas parties as my dad worked at Lucas. I remember we got brilliant presents to take home, and so much party food, then the little room they set up as a cinema to show cartoons. It was the highlight of my childhood going to the Lucas party :) So glad I found this place.

I love this forum, just discovered it last night. I used to go to the school, opposite Gt King St, Lucas. Hampton Primary School, anyone remember it? I used to go to the xmas parties as my dad worked at Lucas. I remember we got brilliant presents to take home, and so much party food, then the little room they set up as a cinema to show cartoons. It was the highlight of my childhood going to the Lucas party :) So glad I found this place.

Hi Morvenna,

Welcome to the forum, I've no doubt you'll find loads of information you may be interested in on this site; we cover a v

Hi Morvenna,

Welcome on behalf of all BHF members, I'm sure you'll find endless amounts of information that will be of interest to you in one guise or another as there is a wealth of knowledge here among us all. As a former pupil of Harry Lucas School (Farm Street), we used to go to the xmas parties there every year and as you rightly say they were brilliant.

Lozellian.

How many Brummie kids out there attended a works Xmas party at Lucas's. I know as a youngster I went to Pantos, and the Circus all organised by Cannings, did Lucas do the same thing? Were you one of those children, or indeed a parent employed by Lucas. We would love to hear from you.

https://www.lucasmemories.co.uk/site/Children/

My father worked at Lucas Aerospace on nights and I was only telling a good friend recently about the Christmas parties they held for the children. They were brilliant! At the end, they would pop us up on the tables to walk along them so our parents could find us! I had a red vanity case one year, that I loved. That case came all sorts of places with me, for years and years. I doubt factory workers' children get anything like it today.

I went to the Lucas parties, as my dad was an employee there. I think you were entitled to attend for three years running, and I was probably about 8, 9 an 10 years old. They used the massive theatre / ballroom that had been built in the fifties, which had a full stage and lighting. There was a show, complete with a group, magician and so on, followed by tea in the staff restaurant. I recall that the tea consisted of miniature cakes and pastries, sausage rolls and sandwiches. After that, it was back to the theatre for a cartoon show. The last event was visiting Santa's grotto, where we were all given a present. The presents weren't rubbish, either, but must have cost a fair bit. All a long time ago.

Hi Nick,
Wow! You remember so much more than I do! I'm guessing our parents paid for us to go. As you say, the presents were really good quality and in my memory it felt like we were in a theatre, it was so well done.

How many Brummie kids out there attended a works Xmas party at Lucas's. I know as a youngster I went to Pantos, and the Circus all organised by Cannings, did Lucas do the same thing? Were you one of those children, or indeed a parent employed by Lucas. We would love to hear from you.

https://www.lucasmemories.co.uk/site/Children/

I am so happy to see this post as I was a Lucas child. Been telling my husband about these Lucas Parties for years, but I don't think he can understand why I always have a smile on my face when I talk about them. Even went on stage to sing a song on one of the pantomime sets. I went to quite a few of these which meant, in turn, I made sure my children went to my work Xmas parties and now they have fond memories too. I still remember the presents I got. A doll, a ping pong set, children's bubble bath. a Pippa doll. I can remember my brother attending too and he got an Action man. Yes, indeed this post has left me with a warm heart.

I am so happy to see this post as I was a Lucas child. Been telling my husband about these Lucas Parties for years, but I don't think he can understand why I always have a smile on my face when I talk about them. Even went on stage to sing a song on one of the pantomime sets. I went to quite a few of these which meant, in turn, I made sure my children went to my work Xmas parties and now they have fond memories too. I still remember the presents I got. A doll, a ping pong set, children's bubble bath. a Pippa doll. I can remember my brother attending too and he got an Action man. Yes, indeed this post has left me with a warm heart.

We lived in Lozells, my dad worked at Great King Street, Lucas. I always remember the parties. I remember collecting pippa dolls, loved them, they were all ethnicities and had lovely costumes to collect. Wish I had kept them all.

My Dad worked in various Lucas sites for his entire working career. Sadly he has passed now, but I and my 3 siblings all loved the Great King Street Christmas parties. Going through the glass display cases with the tableau's of Snow White and the 7 Dwarves, sitting on the steps watching the cartoons and magicians, eating the jelly and ice cream and wearing the square card necklaces with a different coloured spot each year. The collection at the end and seeing Father Christmas was chaotic, but it was all a very treasured memory.

My Mom worked for Lucas on the Twilight Shift at Great King Street.
The Christmas Party I went to was probably 1959 when I was 5 years old. The Pantomime was Aladdin.
I can still remember Window Twankey pushing Aladdin towards the mangle. He came out the other side as a cardboard cut out! It was very real to me.
After the party I was given a present to take home. It was Sooty and Sweep glove puppets.

Lovely memories

Hi Jim

Have you had a look at the party photos on the Lucas Website

www.lucasmemories.co.uk

There are a lot of photos on there of all the Lucas Factories, iits nice to have a trip down memory lane, you may find a photo of your dad on there
hi im a new member. my family all went xmas parties about 1952 0nwards with their dad, my grandfather who worked at lucas.Sadly he passed away xmas 1972. would be so so gratefull if anybody could help me trace any photos for my mom as we have no photos of her dad and maybe their could be possibility he could be on some great lucas photos and wonderful memories for my family. Thankyou.

hi im a new member. my family all went xmas parties about 1952 0nwards with their dad, my grandfather who worked at lucas.Sadly he passed away xmas 1972. would be so so gratefull if anybody could help me trace any photos for my mom as we have no photos of her dad and maybe their could be possibility he could be on some great lucas photos and wonderful memories for my family. Thankyou.
Maria, welcome to the Forum, it is a wonderful place with great people and super moderators. Anything you want to know about Birmingham, its here!

Christmas Parties at the Serck

I can always remember the Christmas parties at Serck radiators on the Warwick Rd in the 50s and 60s. Sometimes they would take us to the pantomine at the Hipp. Othere times it was a party at the works.
It was always a few weeks after Christmas so we always got a late Christmas present.
My sister went to those parties at the Serk each year. My dad got his gold watch from the Serk. Which I have now!. ...so he was there for a long time. So lots of parties, lol.

I went to the Lucas Christmas parties at Shaftsmoor Lane. My father worked there from 1951 and later at Cranmoor Boulivard as a toolsetter until he retired after 40 years of service. The parties were great fun with an entertainment show performed normally in the works canteen. At the end of the day we were all taken to these openings in a wall with bars across, that I realized later in life was where the employees collected their wages each week, to be given a present each.

Talking of Christmas parties at factories, does anyone remember the ones at the BSA in Armoury Road. My dad worked there, so as a youngster I use to go, and then when I started to work there I use to go along and help out, my brother was then going to them. Then when he came to work there he use to help out as well.

Up to a certain age you had a Christmas present, and then over 11 it was a trip to the panto. Long tressle tables, jelly, sarnies, icecream and cakes, and not forgetting the orange juice,

Lots entertainment on the stage (all this was done in the huge works canteen, and of course at the end Santa came in on his sleigh to lots of cheers from the children.

It was wonderful, I loved it all. I don't know if anyone does that kind of thing now. Think that's why I like helping out a children's parties, it brings back such happy memories.

Love to hear from anyone to went to the BSA parties.

Christina

Hi Christina,

I have been doing our Family History for some years now, and I was just speaking to my brother about our Dad’s time at the BSA, he worked in the stores, and he mentioned that the BSA did these Christmas Parties, and said what fun he and my other brother’s and sister’s had. Is it possible you can remember the Confectionery Shop in the row of shops across the road from the BSA, as my brother can remember Dad taking them into it for a sweet treat. Apparently my brother said the owner was Related to Dad and I’m just trying to find out who it was. I remember myself going to the Birmingham Hippodrome to Aladdin, with Norman Wisdom in, but I can’t remember the parties myself, I may have been to young for them.

Love to hear back from you.

Jennie

Hi Christina,

I have been doing our Family History for some years now, and I was just speaking to my brother about our Dad’s time at the BSA, he worked in the stores, and he mentioned that the BSA did these Christmas Parties, and said what fun he and my other brother’s and sister’s had. Is it possible you can remember the Confectionery Shop in the row of shops across the road from the BSA, as my brother can remember Dad taking them into it for a sweet treat. Apparently my brother said the owner was Related to Dad and I’m just trying to find out who it was. I remember myself going to the Birmingham Hippodrome to Aladdin, with Norman Wisdom in, but I can’t remember the parties myself, I may have been to young for them.

Love to hear back from you.

Jennie
Hi Christina and Jenny, your recalling fabulous memories of factory life and ethos long since gone....is fabulous. Thank you for sharing.

Back