• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Just these last few of Moseley Road and I'll move on somewhere else before I bore you all to death. Among these images we have the beginning of Moseley Rd at Bradford St, a tram outside the Castle & Falcon opposite Vincent St, a postcard view from Brighton Rd, a view just past Cromer Rd and one from Highgate Rd at Camp Hill passenger station.
Phil showed a photo back in 2012, of a tram outside the Castle & Falcon opposite Vincent Street in Moseley Road taken in 1949.
I wonder where he got that photo from? I have found the same photo in some of my Family photographs, and if nothing else I can perhaps show a clearer photograph now.
The photo also shows Butlers Garage, which was at 408 Moseley Road, my step-father Malcolm Dyche had a professional photographers shop at 354 Moseley Road for 50 years, the photo is very clear & good quality, perhaps he could have taken it. Or he had a copy because it was so close to his home & business.
Also of interest is the No.42 Tram and the Castle & Falcon Pub.castle-and-falcon-pub-moseley-road.jpg

Last edited:
Phil showed a photo back in 2012, of a tram outside the Castle & Falcon opposite Vincent Street in Moseley Road taken in 1949.
I wonder where he got that photo from? I have found the same photo in some of my Family photographs, and if nothing else I can perhaps show a clearer photograph now.
The photo also shows Butlers Garage, which was at 408 Moseley Road, my step-father Ernest Dyche had a professional photographers shop at 354 Moseley Road for 50 years, the photo is very clear & good quality, perhaps he could have taken it. Or he had a copy because it was so close to his home & business.
Also of interest is the No.42 Tram and the Castle & Falcon Pub.View attachment 143964
So nice to see a nice bright photo
the sub was out that day

The photo also shows Butlers Garage, which was at 408 Moseley Road, my step-father Ernest Dyche had a professional photographers shop at 354 Moseley Road for 50 years, the photo is very clear & good quality, perhaps he could have taken it. Or he had a copy because it was so close to his home & business.
Also of interest is the No.42 Tram and the Castle & Falcon Pub.View attachment 143964
I mentioned my step-father Malcolm Dyche & his father Ernest, who were professional Photographers at 354 Moseley Road, and his father Ernest previously from 1910 in Coventry Road.
Here is some more information about the business, please have a look at the Balsall Heath Local History News Letter in the attached pdf document below, giving lots more details.
Couple shown below are my Step-Father Malcolm Dyche & My mother Pauline on their wedding day (both now deceased). Does anyone have good memories of going to their studio?.

ernest-dyche-photo-studio.jpgMalcolm-&-PaulineW.jpgStudio.jpgBalsall-Heath-September-2013--news-(1)-3.jpg

Attachments

• Balsall Heath September 2013 news (1).pdf
    658.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
A 1954 street view near St Martins, digging up old tramway tracks.
By_St_Martins_1954.JPG
I used to work for Douglas Plant Hire which was on the Walsall road next to Tuckers from 1977 to 1988.

The photo also shows Butlers Garage, which was at 408 Moseley Road, my step-father Malcolm Dyche had a professional photographers shop at 354 Moseley Road for 50 years, the photo is very clear & good quality, perhaps he could have taken it. Or he had a copy because it was so close to his home & business.
Reviewing this photo I realised that there was a lot of interest here, besides the tram.
The old style petrol pumps, probably dealt with by an attendant or the gaffer. No self service there. I suspect the Capstan cigarette advertisement sign was part of the shop belonging to the snooker hall. It looks like it was called The Star, but I did not find anything here on BHF about it. There seems to be a lamp post (former gas?) outside the snooker entrance but without any lantern. The Morris 8?, with a Coventry registration, would be a collectors car today.

My first car was a Morris 8 series E 1939 CWD 905,cost £€60 in 1957
Good runner ,had to carry a 5 gallon drum of oil in the boot.Till I put new rings in the pistons.

Good runner ,had to carry a 5 gallon drum of oil in the boot.Till I put new rings in the pistons.
Funny you should say that I had a 1939 Morris 8 Series E, seen here parked outside Prospect View, Louise Road, Handsworth near The Barrel Pub but that's another story. It cost about £25 secondhand in 1962. Took my test in it & failed!
It had air-conditioning, you wound the windscreen out, so it extended out at the bottom.
1939-Morris-8-Series-E.jpg

Last edited:
Reviewing this photo I realised that there was a lot of interest here, besides the tram.
The old style petrol pumps, probably dealt with by an attendant or the gaffer. No self service there. I suspect the Capstan cigarette advertisement sign was part of the shop belonging to the snooker hall. It looks like it was called The Star, but I did not find anything here on BHF about it. There seems to be a lamp post (former gas?) outside the snooker entrance but without any lantern. The Morris 8?, with a Coventry registration, would be a collectors car today.
Alan
The snooker Hall is listed in the 1950 Kellys as back 410. 410A was Wollaston & Evans, electrical contractors, and 410 was ERnest Blick, wireless dealer. Possibly the capstan sign belonged to the Butlers garage at 408

Running boards would fall off if you jumped on them, at least they did when i jumped into my cousins car as a child.

Alan
The snooker Hall is listed in the 1950 Kellys as back 410. 410A was Wollaston & Evans, electrical contractors, and 410 was ERnest Blick, wireless dealer. Possibly the capstan sign belonged to the Butlers garage at 408
Thank you Mike.
I did wonder about the 'contractors' sign. It is a little confusing as there seems to be a trophy plaque, which I thought might be connected with snooker, also in that window. Equally the Capstan sign seemed out of place. Maybe it was a relic from a previous occupier? Capstan were very strong cigarettes and women rarely smoked them I imagine, but many men did and most masculine places were usually clouded in a fog of cigarette smoke. ;)

Funny you should say that I had a 1939 Morris 8 Series E, seen here parked outside Prospect View, Louise Road, Handsworth near The Barrel Pub but that's another story. It cost about £25 secondhand in 1962. Took my test in it & failed!
It had air-conditioning, you wound the windscreen out, so it extended out at the bottom.
View attachment 144330
Interesting registration number from the Isle of Ely, worth a bob or two now if you still had it.

Bob

RobT ,that brings back so many memories.Mine was Green with Black Wings.About 6 months after I sold it, it suddenly appeared.The person had had it resprayed ,it looked lovely:joy::joy::joy:

Even remember it cost me £11 a year to insure Fully Comp.And have still got my Provisional & first Licence.Saved from Clutter

Yes I had that written on the back of photo, 1965 seems a bit strange!
Isle of Ely - JE registration 1933-65 Cambridgeshire
Not at all, some more rural counties delayed going into the suffix letter until they rally needed to, so around the country you got odd 63/64/65 model Cars running round without suffix letters, although because the motorist insisted, it did not last long and I agree 65 is a little far on, but unless one of our members who had dealings on that side of the country knows more then que sera sera.

Bob

Back