• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
And no grant of Probate for a Will or Administration. Perhaps he liked to keep a low profile!

Maurice

Hi,
does anyone know where this picture was taken in the early 1950's
I suspect it may be Birmingham city centre somewhere, but could be in the suburbs. Any help?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I thought it might be the Bus station with the Birmingham Institute Digbeth in the background ,but it's not.
The building in the foreground has 'GOVERNMENT' something above the windows.

It's the corner of Easy Row and I think Edmund Street, but I'll check that.

The opening of the 1940s Birmingham Social Services Club building in Easy Row. This must have been a club for WW2 service men and women (rather than the modern day meaning of social services).

Can we find an address for this please ? Viv.

image.jpeg

Thought I’d revive this thread with few historical images. The first three must be around 1950s/60s - maybe someone can be more accurate
C3514836-7A7B-480A-88E9-91D761BA8E0E.jpegE501C543-7941-4B74-8C9A-AE1592F9FB26.jpegFD3EC2E3-8F48-4852-AFC1-4AC3AE9532B8.jpeg

Then we’re very familiar with Phyllis Nicklin’s 1960s view.

3A6C7D49-0B71-40AB-AA97-B67D2689D413.jpeg

And finally a sketch produced in the 1950s - a travesty that the terrace was lost. Even then it was recognised as an important row of building. But alas, the Inner Ring Road won on that one. Viv.

8EE40EF3-DFA0-4C9E-81E5-6F7902F8FBE5.jpeg9F54895E-5A4C-46FD-B047-5B26508FCF74.jpeg

Thought I’d revive this thread with few historical images. The first three must be around 1950s/60s - maybe someone can be more accurate
View attachment 144338View attachment 144339View attachment 144340

Then we’re very familiar with Phyllis Nicklin’s 1960s view.

View attachment 144341

And finally a sketch produced in the 1950s - a travesty that the terrace was lost. Even then it was recognised as an important row of building. But alas, the Inner Ring Road won on that one. Viv.

View attachment 144342View attachment 144343

Viv re pic 4 one of those shops used to sell violins and cello's when I lived in William St . Which ever one it was there used to be a back from a cello or double bass attached to the door , whenever I walked around this area as a kid it just seemed so right that the posh people as I called them worked and lived here .

There's the back of a cello fixed to the wall (above the Thomas Smith premises) in the last two images in the post #48. Viv.

thanks viv..i have always felt a great sense of loss at losing easy row and its wonderful georgian buildings and of course the woodman pub...what a great visitors attraction that area would have made now..very sad

lyn

Viv
Below is photo just before demolition of what looks, from the stone facing round the windows, to be the same building, though doorway is different. Not sure when demolition was , but the second photo I think probably shows that same doorway to the right of the photo, and is dated 1910,

ParadiseSt junc easy row.jpg
City Easy Row - Paradise St 1910  (20).JPG

Thanks Mike. Yes can see “ Bell....” (Bellamy) above the door in the second photo. Viv.

Easy Row to the left, Paradise Street straight ahead. Not sure of the date of this one, the ‘Wakefield’ of Bellamy and Wakefield just visible. The business looks in full swing judging by the window displays.

Some nice examples of (gas) street lighting. This certainly looked like a well-to-do area of the time. Maybe it developed that way as a result of the trade/business generated by the nearby wharves. Viv.

5FB5599F-2FD8-49A8-B06E-04A7CD3F0F8C.jpeg

Excavating the canal near Easy Row to provide air raid shelter in 1939. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 4
Back