• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

John Hartland

Linnikins

Hi all, just wandering if anyone would remember my hubby John a Hartland b 1945 . Went to Marlborough infant and sec school in 50' and 60's . Then went to Hall green tech college, then worked at Lawton Successors Doris Rd, then went to Lucas Formans road Sparkhill year 1976. He lived in Whitehall Road with mu Isabella dad John and sisters Maureen and Jean. He got married to Carol Cheshire in 1966. Friends remembered are .....Peter Evans, Malcolm Phillips, Peter Wallis, Tony Green, Michael Hodgkin, who lived opposite Lucas die cast. He would absolutely love to hear from anyone around his life at that time, we now live in Devon. Thank you .

Hi all, just wandering if anyone would remember my hubby John a Hartland b 1945 . Went to Marlborough infant and sec school in 50' and 60's . Then went to Hall green tech college, then worked at Lawton Successors Doris Rd, then went to Lucas Formans road Sparkhill year 1976. He lived in Whitehall Road with mu Isabella dad John and sisters Maureen and Jean. He got married to Carol Cheshire in 1966. Friends remembered are .....Peter Evans, Malcolm Phillips, Peter Wallis, Tony Green, Michael Hodgkin, who lived opposite Lucas die cast. He would absolutely love to hear from anyone around his life at that time, we now live in Devon. Thank you .
Hi,
Yes, I remember John very well - and his mom and dad and two sisters. I'm about the same age as Jean and lived next door at 36 Whitehall Road. My mom, Marg, was a good friend of Bella (as she was known) and my dad, Walter, used to go to watch the Blues play with John's dad. My mom used to refer to your hubby as "Little Johny" as his dad had the same name. I remember that John was a very good cartoonist and Bella would proudly show us the cartoons he had drawn. I remember going over to the dry cleaners on Green Lane which Maureen managed. I also remember Malcolm Phillips and was a good friend of his younger brother Richard (Richard and I are the same age). Richard had two older sisters - the younger was Marilyn. I remember when Malcolm and Peter joined the Merchant Navy and came back with lovely tans.
John will probably remember my sister, Margaret, as she was about the same age and also went to Marlborough Secondary School.
Whitehall Road was a great community and I lived there until I was 24 and got married (apart from 4 years at university from 18 to 22). John will remember Mr Mrs Ellis who ran the shop and Walkers' shops on the corner of Whitehall and Green Lane. And there was the outdoor on the other side of the road to the Ellis's shop. Mr Mrs Ellis were a lovely couple.
Mr Mrs Payne and their daughter and grandson (William) lived at 34 and Mr Mrs Grayland next door to them at 32. I'm sure that John will remember the two Grayland daughters as the younger went, I think, to Marlborough Secondary (she was good at gymnastics).
Mr Mrs Merry and their children, Dianne and Stephen, lived at 55 - and I was a good friend of Stephen as we were the same age.
I have very fond memories of the Whitehall Road community and feel it is such a shame that the road is now spoiled by lines of cars on both sides, bumper to bumper. As kids, it was our playground and I think there was only one car in the entire road.
I haven't travelled that far - about 8 miles, where my wife and I now live. Our daughter lives in Bristol.
John may remember my sister, Margaret, and her hubby, Albert, having their daughter Karen in 1964 as they lived a 36 for a year or two after marrying.
Good to hear from you - and if you want a few photos of old Whitehall Road just drop me an email to [email protected]

All the best,
Chris

Back