• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

DISGUSTING FOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this before somewhere but my mate's mum put gin in the trifle as she had no sherry. went down a treat.

The shops, called off-licences, did not open until 6pm. Whether they had a periods during the day when they were open I can't say. This continued after the end of WW2. As a young child I remember being in a queue near the Robin Hood island where there was a wine merchant. Most people could not afford the quantities of 'booze' often purchased today.

Last edited:
The shops, called off-licences, did not open until 6pm. Whether they had a periods during the day when they were open I can't say. This continued after the end of WW2. As a young child I remember being in a queue near the Robin Hood island where there was a wine merchant. Most people could not afford the quantities of 'booze' often purchased today.
Ours opened on a Sunday. I loved going to it. They sold interesting sweets from big jars and cocktail biscuits, but we only had those at Christmas and the old lady serving was really nice. Pretzels, I hated them but I like them now. Smiths Crisps with the 3 Spires on with a blue bag of salt inside. The shop was really old fashioned. With Dickensian windows and a frosted glass mirror like a pub, with the bottles in front, it looked more like a house it had a little garden with a gate in front. I used to get proper aniseed and peppermint cordial for Nan which had some alcohol in it. No plastic bottles then. Or refill the soda syphon for us. Cigarettes for Grandad or dad. "They for yer dad?" I nodded. I rarely spoke to shop keepers. There were 5 off licences, of character and all very different near my gran's house. They opened Saturday afternoons because that's when we visited her when dad went to the match. I always think of World cup Willie I remember getting a World Cup Willie pen from one. On the end wall up high was the M&B sign I think it was , a massive stag leaping.

i had a www t shirt :grinning:.. There was a small cottage. by a old lady.by Wooten wawen rail station....after a days fishing and a long walk back to the station. we called at the cottage..(you had to knock the door). and bought a bag of smiths crips.and a bottle of Arden mineral water.(pop). they went down like nectar:)not disguting at all

I find those chewy meat strips in a bag disgusting. They look like dog chews. And different cheese squashed in layers, cheese with chilli in. And Steakwiches. I wrote to the Office of fair trading over that. Served it in a pub, expecting a steak sandwich. I got what was like a slice of Hazelet. And Nachos. Another pub in town served soggy nachos with melted cheese on. Most of the town pubs when I was at work hadn't a clue about food. Hate Scotch pies too. Friend'
s mum brought some down from Bolton. Smelled like Dog food.

The off licences used to be open in line with licensing hours. lunch time and evening only. Remember in those far off halcyon days, very few grocers etc had an alcoholic drinks licence.
bob

Well as I only ever eat fish or chicken, I couldn't possibly comment on the goodness or otherwise of meat dishes. However, my other half, Jan, is a carnivore and will frequenly have stifado, lamb chops. and sometimes moussaka and seems quite happy with all three. I've never come across goat chops, Smudger, as goat is generally served boiled or as a stew. The juice from the boiled goat is very often used to cook large bowls of very wet rice and generally forms the first dish at a Greek wedding. Hardly anybody ever eats it! The problem with lamb chops in some small places is that they are very thin and overcooked. Jan sends them straight back! Good lamb chops are readily available in Crete.

Jan also likes taromasalata, although she is not a great fish lover. Neither of us like squid or octopus. Cows do exist on the island in very small numbers, at the western (Chania) end, which tends to get more rain in the summer months than we ever do. A friend around the corner had one cow about ten years ago, but with so little summer rain, most of the grass turns to straw in June and it was costing him a fortune to buy feed for it. Most of the people, like my son-in-law's father, who have large numbers of sheep, also own tracts of land up on the fertile Katharo & Lasithi plateaux between 5,000 & 6,000 feet above sea level and the sheep are taken up there in early May and are brought back down about 20 September. That way they don't have to buy feed for them as, being much cooler, there is plent of grass for them.

Nico, afelia is a Cypriot dish - pork marinated in red wine and cooked - and something I haven't seen here. In Crete; it is generally either pork from the oven - roast pork and potatoes cooked very slowly and is very tender, or pork & leeks.

Amathus appears to be in Rhodes, Nico, and I've never been there. However, complimentary mezes at the start of a meal and a complimentary sweet at the end of it are the norm throughout Greece. To put this thread back on track, the only really disgusting food amongst that lot are the boiled goat and the boiled rice in goat's juice. :)

Maurice :cool:
Made a stifado today. Used up a bottle of disgusting wine to make it. Couldnt get any pearl onions or shallots so had to use smallest onions I could find and cut into pieces. Hopefully the stew will taste better than the wine

Well cooking is a great leveller of wine when used as part of the process. My other half likes beef stifado, but she's a carnivore and likes most four-legged creatures. I draw the line at chicken! Enjoy.

Just some good old streaky bacon.

Fried onions, my wife won't eat prawns, she says they are insects. Insects or not I love them.
They are crustaceans, not insects. tell her. However, they can look like some kind of insect. If it is a reason not to eat then tell her they are not Kosher. In fact no shell fish is, due to their filtration of sea water and whatever it contains.
I do not know the statistics of illness in humans due to eating shellfish, but I believe it is a much higher percentage than most other foods - besides allowing for poor hygiene which can make anyone ill, irrespective of diet.

They are crustaceans, not insects. tell her. However, they can look like some kind of insect. If it is a reason not to eat then tell her they are not Kosher. In fact no shell fish is, due to their filtration of sea water and whatever it contains.
I do not know the statistics of illness in humans due to eating shellfish, but I believe it is a much higher percentage than most other foods - besides allowing for poor hygiene which can make anyone ill, irrespective of diet.
I hate grilled or barbecues prawns. I had some in a French restaurant in Leamington flambéd and they didn't stay down long. (We got taken out to eat). The chef made his own truffles they just tasted of marge. Marge and chocolate powder. I was very ill. I also got ill after another French restaurant in France the relatives crowed about, it was like an egg custard with apricot jam in but acid like marmalade. I always used to over indulge, not now though, I tried these little tiny petit fours like tiny iced buns, with violet cream icing, except I had loads of them. And religieuses, (nuns) like a choux pastry with dark chocolate and creme patissiere in and quite big, more like ET when he was disguised. And bouche a la reines, Queen's nibbles? they are big too, puff pastry sort of towers with mushrooms and cream maybe? All too much. Now I can't eat pastry. Probably just as well.

Pete,

I quite like broad beans, but the other half hates any beans. Lots of iron in them, so good for you if you don't eat red meat like me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back