• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Church Road, Yardley.

Hobmoor Primary School was accessed in my time there 1954 to 1956 via an entrance by the side of the shops off Hobmoor Road and the first residential houses, you went in by the entrance next to the caretakers house. Not off Stoney Lane or by the side off The Yew Tree pub.
The nearest I ever got to the school was via the zig-zag path and then only to the gate picking up a nephew that went to a pre-school group there in the early 1990s. That path shows up in the photograph. I'm sure Susan would welcome suggestions by anyone that actually used the school or pub as to where the coronation celebration was held and how people got there.
Incidentally the Margaret Green book has a class photo with a Mrs Humphreys in 1967 - after your time!

I attended Hob Moor Road school from 1945 - 1950/1. I remember the reception teacher was Miss Eamer. She gave me a smack on my first day as by lunch time I thought that I had been to school, so went home! My sister marched me back and the smack was my reward. I also remember Mrs Davies, Mr Wright -who rode his sit up and beg bike to school, he went so slowly it was amazing that he managed to keep it moving. Also remember Mr Turville and Mr Hughes who took top juniors. The toilets were 'open air' and smelt dreadful - can still remember the smell to this day. Trying to remember the caretakers name who always seemed to be covered in coal dust as he was responsible for stoking the boilers.

The Croft (from "Yardley" , compiled by Michael Byrne) page 30.
View attachment 136370

The caption to this photograph of the house called The Croft still appears to be valid. It does still stand although it is surrounded by other properties now. I found it on Google maps Streetview. This is the link:

Here is a photograph of Croft road under construction in 1930. The road is as yet unmade.

Croft road.jpg

Last edited:
Could it have been Hobmoor Primary School? Built in 1933 it has since been demolished, replaced by a new building on the edge of Oaklands Recreation Ground.
View attachment 136327

Coronation Celebration

Here is the photograph of the evening celebration of the 1953 Coronation held for residents of Church road, Wroxton Road and nearby in the location behind the Yew Tree pub (looks like it was the school that has been suggested on this site). I can name some of the people in it but would welcome more information about the participants.

- Couple on the left row second from the back - my mother Florence Holloway in a dress and jacket and slightly behind/next to her my father Alfred Holloway. They were living at 208 Church road at the time but took over the hardware shop later that year. Sitting next to him is his mother, my grandmother, Matilda Holloway of the hardware shop at 206 Church road.

- Front row, sitting fourth from our left is Mary ? of Wroxton road and her daughter Kathleen next to her. Then it is me in a cone shaped hat. Then Mr and Mrs Edmunds of the green grocer shop at 202 Church road, and then a little girl who I was friendly with and may have lived in Wroxton road but sadly cannot remember her name. I assume that the woman next to her is her mother.

Last edited:
Please explain who, what, were and when Thanks John Crump now 86 I lived on Moat Lane Yardley 23 or so years till 1957

Dear John,

The explanation about the photograph is actually there above it but somehow got hidden. I tried to be too clever by replying directly to Spargone's information on the map but it didn't work. This is what I said:

Coronation Celebration

Here is the photograph of the evening celebration of the 1953 Coronation held for residents of Church road, Wroxton Road and nearby in the location, thought to be behind the Yew Tree pub (looks like it possibly was the school that has been suggested on this site). I can name some of the people in it but would welcome more information about the participants.

- Couple on the left row second from the back - my mother Florence Holloway in a dress and jacket and slightly behind/next to her my father Alfred Holloway. They were living at 208 Church road at the time but took over the hardware shop later that year. Sitting next to him is his mother, my grandmother, Matilda Holloway of the hardware shop at 206 Church road.

- Front row, sitting fourth from our left is Mary ? of Wroxton road and her daughter Kathleen next to her. Then it is me in a cone shaped hat. Then Mr and Mrs Edmunds who ran the green grocer shop at 202 Church road, and then a little girl who I was friendly with and may have lived in Wroxton road but sadly cannot remember her name. I assume that the woman next to her is her mother as there is a resemblance.

Great photo, love the old pics. I wish I still had all the ones that Dad took. I found this one time at the seaside. Love the hats they wore those days must have been in the early 40s I am youngster on the right with the glum face. My Sister Joan on the left My Gran and Grandfather on left My Mom centre Can anyone tell where this was taken?Rhyl 1947 001.jpg

Last edited:
Susan D have you thought the venue could be Church Road School rather than Hob Moor Road? They are both close to the area - just a thought!!!

The caption to this photograph of the house called The Croft still appears to be valid. It does still stand although it is surrounded by other properties now. I found it on Google maps Streetview. This is the link:

Here is a photograph of Croft road under construction in 1930. The road is as yet unmade.

View attachment 136416
I lived at 46, Croft Road in the seventies and my boys went to Church Road school.

Susan D have you thought the venue could be Church Road School rather than Hob Moor Road? They are both close to the area - just a thought!!!

Thanks for the suggestion Geofred. I can see the logic, but I am pretty sure that it wasn't there.

Susan
Great photo, love the old pics. I wish I still had all the ones that Dad took. I found this one time at the seaside. Love the hats they wore those days must have been in the early 40s I am youngster on the right with the glum face. My Sister Joan on the left My Gran and Grandfather on left My Mom centre Can anyone tell where this was taken?View attachment 137999

Great family group John. Isn't it strange how all the adults dress so smartly and formally for the beach in those days. It was the same in my family photographs. If this is the early 1940s it must have been taken during the war. I didn't think that people went on seaside holidays then.

Coming back to Yardley, are you too young to have remembered Yardley during the last war? If you can remember, are you able to tell us what it was like?

Susan

Thanks for the suggestion Geofred. I can see the logic, but I am pretty sure that it wasn't there.

Susan

Great family group John. Isn't it strange how all the adults dress so smartly and formally for the beach in those days. It was the same in my family photographs. If this is the early 1940s it must have been taken during the war. I didn't think that people went on seaside holidays then.

Coming back to Yardley, are you too young to have remembered Yardley during the last war? If you can remember, are you able to tell us what it was like?

Susan I was born in 1933 So I was a nipper during WW2 This bomb came pretty close, a second earlier I would not be here now, this just around the corner from my home on Moat Lane Yardley Nov 1940 I was 7yrsold

Attachments

• crump-rem10.jpg
    crump-rem10.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 57

Susan I was born in 1933 So I was a nipper during WW2 This bomb came pretty close, a second earlier I would not be here now, this just around the corner from my home on Moat Lane Yardley Nov 1940 I was 7 yrs old

Thank you for posting the photograph of Vera road John. Wow, that is absolutely shocking! It certainly brings the reality of war into sharp focus. That surely would have been a brand new house. I hope that the family were safe in the Anderson shelter.

Correction. It just seems Yew tree house was missed out in the 1904 directory.

1868 Daniel Holloway esquire
1873 Daniel Holloway farmer & auctioneer
1876 - 1900 Daniel Holloway Land agent & surveyor

1903 Ernest Newton
Before 1868 I can’t find Yew tree house in the directories, and it may be outside the area covered, but in 1855 there is a Daniel Holloway, fancy steel toy maker & confectioner in Bristol St, listed but not numbered between 109 and 113 bristol st, and in 1862 he appears (as J & D Holloway) in Balsall Heath Road.
mike
That has to be a different Daniel Holloway at Bristol Street as he always lived in Yardley, his birthplace. His parents operated a farm and lived on the Coventry Road.

I attended Hob Moor Road school from 1945 - 1950/1. I remember the reception teacher was Miss Eamer. She gave me a smack on my first day as by lunch time I thought that I had been to school, so went home! My sister marched me back and the smack was my reward. I also remember Mrs Davies, Mr Wright -who rode his sit up and beg bike to school, he went so slowly it was amazing that he managed to keep it moving. Also remember Mr Turville and Mr Hughes who took top juniors. The toilets were 'open air' and smelt dreadful - can still remember the smell to this day. Trying to remember the caretakers name who always seemed to be covered in coal dust as he was responsible for stoking the boilers.
My mom would have been at hobmoor primary school around the same time As yourself. Mr Hughes was one of her teachers then, and he was also my teacher between 1965 and 1970. My moms name was Patricia Chapman, I wonder if you remember her ?

My mom would have been at hobmoor primary school around the same time As yourself. Mr Hughes was one of her teachers then, and he was also my teacher between 1965 and 1970. My moms name was Patricia Chapman, I wonder if you remember her ?
[I do remember Mr Hughes a teacher, but Patricia Chapman not. I lived down Harvey Rd to Moat Lane almost Barrows Lane

Hi John,

Did you happen to know my old friend Tom Sutcliffe who also went to Cockshut Hill? He was about your age but has sadly passed away now.

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)
I knew Tom Sutcliffe very well. I was bridesmaid at his wedding to Sheila Toft. Sadly she has passed away too. He joined the Police with Alan Watson. He was a good friend of my brothers' too, Bob Priddey. He went to Cockshut Hill from 5yrs to 17yrs with Tom.

Back