• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

James Mottram 1861 Census Lookup

Susan King

proper brummie kid
I'd love it if anyone could help me find the 1861 census for James Mottram, born abt. 1834 and/or his wife Emma Mottram, born 1837. They were married in Birmingham in 1854 and were both born in Birmingham. From other census, I know that all of their children were also born in Birmingham except daughter Melinda Mottram, born Sheffield, Yorkshire. Her birth was registered in the 2nd quarter of 1861. I'm not exactly sure why she was suddenly born in Yorkshire. James was a electro plate worker and I believe that Birmingham and Sheffield were centres for this kind of work. Other children born before 1861 are James 1855 and George Frederick 1859. I've attached 1871 census for reference.

Attachments

• James Mottram 1871 census.jpg
    James Mottram 1871 census.jpg
    781.7 KB · Views: 8
hi susan i have found the family on the 1861 census living in sheffield..wife emma children james ..george all born birmingham and ellinor 2 weeks old born sheffield...living in sheffield the only thing is head of house is thomas mottram not not james...looks like the emumerator could have written down the wrong name

lyn

emma mottram 1861.jpg

Thank you. I had found this too but there are 2 problems with it - Thomas not James, as you mentioned, but also Ellinor rather than Melinda. So, I assumed this was another member of the family who may have gone there at the same time. Do you really think this is it? Are Ellinor and Melinda variants on the same name?

yes susan i am going to stick my neck out and say its the correct family in sheffield..everything matches even the occupation of james/thomas....wonder if we can find a bapt for him....

lyn

just looked on james marr cert and his fathers name is thomas...just a mix up on the 1861 i think

lyn

yes susan i am going to stick my neck out and say its the correct family in sheffield..everything matches even the occupation of james/thomas....wonder if we can find a bapt for him....

lyn
I've not had good luck finding any Mottram baptisms. I must not be looking properly.

found daughter melindas bapt....st georges church newtown birm..1861
Where did you find this? I only have familysearch access (and I'm not LDS member so I don't have the Ancestry and FMP). I used to go to my local library and use Ancestry, but of course that is shut down at the moment (in Vancouver, BC, Canada). Can you please attach original?

found it on ancestry but you can subcribe to it think you can get a months free trial as well....here is the bapt i am sure the others will also be on ancestry....lyn

Attachments

• melinda mottram bapt.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
Ellinor rather than Melinda. So, I assumed this was another member of the family who may have gone there at the same time. Do you really think this is it? Are Ellinor and Melinda variants on the same name?
I think it looks like Ellinor's age was 2 weeks. It may be that when the birth was registered they had changed their mind and registered her as Melinda.
Birth date on baptism is March 20th and the census was April 2nd.

I think James and Thomas are brothers - there is a marriage in 1854 for James and one in 1856 for Thomas (to Jane Hulea Robotham) and the witnesses are James and Emma Mottram. Both give the Father's name as Thomas and he is a bricklayer, I don't know why there is a muddle on the census.
Thomas and Jane are in Birmingham on 1861 census but it is a faint entry and is mistranscribed on ancestry.

Attachments

• James Mottram.JPG
    James Mottram.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Thomas Mottram.JPG
    Thomas Mottram.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 5
I think it looks like Ellinor's age was 2 weeks. It may be that when the birth was registered they had changed their mind and registered her as Melinda.
Birth date on baptism is March 20th and the census was April 2nd.
Thank you. I was just going to check on the census date. And yes, as I began to think about it I was thinking the same thing - they were still trying out names that early.

I think James and Thomas are brothers - there is a marriage in 1854 for James and one in 1856 for Thomas (to Jane Hulea Robotham) and the witnesses are James and Emma Mottram. Both give the Father's name as Thomas and he is a bricklayer, I don't know why there is a muddle on the census.
Thomas and Jane are in Birmingham on 1861 census but it is a faint entry and is mistranscribed on ancestry.
Yes, I have these too and believe that they are brothers.

Back