• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Late 70s amateur Aerial Photos, city and south to Longbridge

41353-12
Another school, again prob First/Middle

EDIT - Identified as Fallowfield Rd., Solihull; Valley Primary School. Thanks Old Mohawk.

20160912142052_02.jpg

Last edited:
Many thanks for sharing your pictures.

What type of scanner did you use?

My pleasure, and I hope they maybe jog some memories for others.

I used a commercial slide/negative scan/input device, a stand-alone piece of kit I needed for a commercial project a while ago and was able to borrow-back for these negs ... for a very short moment it made me enthusiastic to go through all the negs that were stored along with these and then have a proper archive to hand-on, til I estimated there were thousands! But Hmmm, still might rather than leave them in a box for a few more decades just to deteriorate.

Really enjoying these pictures. This one I suggest is the junction of The Radleys with Bell Lane. Tile Cross/Sheldon/Marston Green border.

Appears to be more than probable, given that the difference between my photo and the current Googlemap image (just looked!) is pretty minor and easily accounted for by a couple of generations worth of housebuilding replacements/alterations to the corner bungalows and the main roofs ... plus replacing the houses on the crescent behind that corner is typical of steps taken to maximise housing density on a given piece of land. Plus of course is an easy fit with the flightpath. So well done for nailing that!

TQ

hello TQ and welcome to the forum...your photos are amazing....hopefully some members will be able to help with the locations of some that you are not sure of...never be afraid to post any that you have because we have lost a lot of buildings since you took them...you are helping to preserve history that we have lost

all the best

lyn

35541-5
Anyone place this pitch/track? Quite a few clues ad a major road to help?
View attachment 142922
Bath Row/Holloway Head left side to top right corner across end of pitch and Sutton Street alongside pitch - and my place of birth in 1949 - about where the centre circle intersects with the centre line on the Sutton Street side. Thanks for the photo!

• Appreciate
Reactions: T Q
Great photos!

#10 doesn't look like Eastfield Road.

Could 27 be a greyhound track? Don't think it's Hall Green, Perry Barr maybe?

• Appreciate
Bath Row/Holloway Head left side to top right corner across end of pitch and Sutton Street alongside pitch - and my place of birth in 1949 - about where the centre circle intersects with the centre line on the Sutton Street side. Thanks for the photo!
Looks like Holloway Head Lee Bank opposite the Peace Gardens on the middle left of the photo.

Of Course!!

Thank you both, I recognise the drive-in tyre place - which I think was there around the time I am thinking - but even more embarrassingly I used to do some occasional business with a firm called Disney -something-or-other in the building next to it, and visited there now and then.

Plus my then wife-to-be worked in Scala House and her windows directly overlooked the pre-pagoda Holloway Head roundabout and I'd often be driving down there from Five Ways and past those very places to pick her up right on the corner!

And Malvernian, SO delighted at your connection with the photo, that's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping might happen for someone! My work is done!!

TQ

hello TQ and welcome to the forum...your photos are amazing....hopefully some members will be able to help with the locations of some that you are not sure of...never be afraid to post any that you have because we have lost a lot of buildings since you took them...you are helping to preserve history that we have lost

all the best

lyn

Thank you for your welcome and kind words Lyn, and I'm glad I have found a safe and suitable place for them.

I will be adding to other threads on this and that too I am sure, and possibly with related photos on occasion.

Best,

TQ

Great photos!

#10 doesn't look like Eastfield Road.

Could 27 be a greyhound track? Don't think it's Hall Green, Perry Barr maybe?

A dog track could be an option of course ... I'm not sure that the photo fits with the Aldridge road as it is today, but 50-ish years ago with all the changes who knows? :)

Thanks for the thought.
TQ

Last edited:
I think #10 is the railway tunnel on The Radleys. Amazing photos, thanks for sharing them

• Appreciate
I thought I recognised the lake in Post 13 as Forge Mill Lake in Sandwell Valley where the river Tame runs alongside, but can't fit with present day...

• Appreciate
I thought I recognised the lake in Post 13 as Forge Mill Lake in Sandwell Valley where the river Tame runs alongside, but can't fit with present day...
How about Babb's Mill Lake over at Kingshurst with the River Cole running alongside?

Thanks for the suggestion, and from Google Earth it is certainly easy to see a 50-years shapeshifted version being an option but for its perceived surroundings. On a side note, I'm certainly getting a crash-course on Birmingham lakes!

How about Babb's Mill Lake over at Kingshurst with the River Cole running alongside?
Thanks Malvernian, and there seems very little doubt that that is it ... corroborated also by the presence of smaller Shard End Lake a little to the NW which also appears in the 70's photo though in no real detail ... excellent!

TQ

Last edited:
I think #10 is the railway tunnel on The Radleys. Amazing photos, thanks for sharing them

Thanks Morturn, and also for confirming MWS's doubt. Clearly that's spot-on!

It is an area with which I am not at all familiar, however the Eastfields Road tunnel that closely resembles this one in certain aspects came to mind because I used to go through it at intervals if I took a certain route to/from visiting family. I hadn't encountered a so-similar other, and my brain just filled in the gaps for itself I expect.

TQ

.... Amazing photos, thanks for sharing them

Lol .... I'm even coming to think that myself now, looking back through a 50 year old window even though it could do with a jolly good clean! Maybe they aren't all that bad after all :)

TQ

Back