• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Victoria Square

I like all the steps that are now in place around the square. Seems to raise up the Council House, Town Hall etc. Makes more of a statement.

Hopefully there are ramps to to give access to all. Viv.
Even better would be a lift, though that would possibly spoil the view

I am on a committee which meets in the Council House. For years now I have had to take a stick with me as there are no handrails on the main staircase and the lift does not work. Even if the lift does work you have to be accompanied by a council employee. But there would still be the 7 steps up to the front door. I am told that they cannot put in handrails because the building is listed but I do not believe them on that matter.

I would have thought people's safety should take precedence over aesthetic appearances. Maybe when there is an insurance claim made against the Council they will reconsider it all. It would seem that preservationists have louder voice and are greater in number than others who use the place.

I am on a committee which meets in the Council House. For years now I have had to take a stick with me as there are no handrails on the main staircase and the lift does not work. Even if the lift does work you have to be accompanied by a council employee. But there would still be the 7 steps up to the front door. I am told that they cannot put in handrails because the building is listed but I do not believe them on that matter.

Sorry to hear that, I know it was the case with listed buildings at one time (buildings had to be kept in their original design) but I thought that had been changed now.

Perhaps someone on the Forum knows the current regulations?

Thanks Mike. So the photo must have been near Waterloo Street ? (extreme left edge of photo). Viv.

Think I’ve asked this question before but don’t remember an answer. Why was Queen Vicrorias statute white in the early 1900s, but black (or very dark) by the 1960s ? Was it pollution or was it changed in some way ? I clearly remember looking at her as a dark statue from the window of Lyons cafe, but don’t remember the lighter colour. Viv.

No date.
80DC40C7-5265-4C4A-B7D9-40E610B4ACAD.jpeg

1960s
C3153808-3241-47E7-B3AE-FE89C2CF7183.jpeg

Victoria Square on the last day of July 2020 during the one day summer heatwave. Christchurch Passage is still closed due to the works on the right not being finished yet.

Also took the Sphinx towards the new 103 Colmore Row.

ell, are the contractors that do all of the work in the city private contractors or are they city workers, just curious?

Thanks,

I have to attend meetings in Birmingham Council House over the next few months so it will be much better as we cannot always get a room at the back of the building and those rooms are small which is not good at the present time. So I am not sorry that the market will not be operating.

Back