• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Server software update Sunday

On Sunday I will be upgrading the software to the latest version this will mean downtime of approx half a day. (assuming all goes well)
This has to be done as we are out of mainstream support now.

This is server software not forum
make it so Mr warren

I would have still been in bed after watching the boxing, was it a good fight, l only saw picture on the news.

Apologies for the extended downtime today, The new SSD arrived and I managed to get server software upgraded, this had to be done twice hence it took so long but we now run on server 2019 so will be supported for some time to come!

site might be up and down a little over the next few hours while I finish off

sadly I only had ECC memory and the server didn't like it :( long shot if anyone has any 4GB or bigger DDR3 modules sitting around doing nothing and would like to donate them give me a shout :)

First can I say think you to everyone who works on creating, maintaining and supporting this site, it is an amazing site and I promote it a lot when I meet people in Birmingham.

Also a big thanks to warren for upgrading the server and keeping it running.

I use this site every day, most times more than once a day, and many people would be upset if the web site went away.

From what warren has been saying above it does sound as though your server is a "local" server that you have access to, maybe in your house or on your business site (rather than a "remote" server in a huge server complex run by an outside company).

And while not wishing to be a doomonger are there any emergency plans if anything goes wrong?

For example what if the server was stolen, or there was a fire or flood where the server is stored.

Also what if (heaven forbid) warren got very ill, or worse, and could no longer maintain the web site?

Is there anyone who knows how to run the site if warren could not?

Are details of how to set up and run the site written down anywhere so that someone else could take over?

Are the server password and other details written down anywhere?, are details of how to recreate the site from a backup written down anywhere?

As an example of why emergency "plans" are important my wife is in an amateur theatre group.

One of the men in their group did a lot of the admin and looked after their web site, social media pages (Facebook etc), did all the financial accounts, maintained their ticket web site and much much more.

Recently he died unexpectedly and now they find they cant logon to all his various web sites etc as nobody had the logons and passwords. They recently did a show and found they could not sell tickets online as nobody knew how to get on to the ticket site, also they could not promote it very well as they could not update their web site or Facebook page etc.

I am not being negative (I am trying to be positive). I used to work in the computer business so I am aware of the need for good backups and details of what to do in an emergency.

As I said, I would hate for this web site to "go away" because of the lack of written down details of what to do in an emergency.

First can I say think you to everyone who works on creating, maintaining and supporting this site, it is an amazing site and I promote it a lot when I meet people in Birmingham.

Also a big thanks to warren for upgrading the server and keeping it running.

I use this site every day, most times more than once a day, and many people would be upset if the web site went away.

From what warren has been saying above it does sound as though your server is a "local" server that you have access to, maybe in your house or on your business site (rather than a "remote" server in a huge server complex run by an outside company).

And while not wishing to be a doomonger are there any emergency plans if anything goes wrong?

For example what if the server was stolen, or there was a fire or flood where the server is stored.

Also what if (heaven forbid) warren got very ill, or worse, and could no longer maintain the web site?

Is there anyone who knows how to run the site if warren could not?

Are details of how to set up and run the site written down anywhere so that someone else could take over?

Are the server password and other details written down anywhere?, are details of how to recreate the site from a backup written down anywhere?

As an example of why emergency "plans" are important my wife is in an amateur theatre group.

One of the men in their group did a lot of the admin and looked after their web site, social media pages (Facebook etc), did all the financial accounts, maintained their ticket web site and much much more.

Recently he died unexpectedly and now they find they cant logon to all his various web sites etc as nobody had the logons and passwords. They recently did a show and found they could not sell tickets online as nobody knew how to get on to the ticket site, also they could not promote it very well as they could not update their web site or Facebook page etc.

I am not being negative (I am trying to be positive). I used to work in the computer business so I am aware of the need for good backups and details of what to do in an emergency.

As I said, I would hate for this web site to "go away" because of the lack of written down details of what to do in an emergency.

thanks for your support guilbert...i think those are all reasonable questions...hopefully warren will be able to answer them..the only question i think i could answer is if warren could not maintain the site is there anyone else who could...i dont think there is...

lyn

Back